Author Topic: Speed up installation of Windows programmes  (Read 9155 times)

kevin

Speed up installation of Windows programmes
« on: October 18, 2013, 10:09:12 AM »
Hi - saw a recommendation for an app called Ninite in a magazine in the UK - it lets you select programs from a (limited) list, and will then download and install all of them with no further user intervention - this is really useful for me, as I need to re-install Windows quite frequently and it's so useful to be able to let the app run and forget about it. None of the unwanted tool bars that seem to come with most apps nowadays are installed.

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
Re: Speed up installation of Windows programmes
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 01:10:12 PM »
That's whay Linux has got package managers!  ;) When SteamOS is out no one needs Windows anymore.  8)

Aurel

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 11:19:35 PM »
When SteamOS is out no one needs Windows anymore.
haha...
really?
by the way nobody hold you to remove windows once for all from your computers.

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 09:54:51 AM »
When SteamOS is out no one needs Windows anymore.
haha...
really?
by the way nobody hold you to remove windows once for all from your computers.
That's exactly what I will do if I don't need Windows anymore. At the moment I still need it for gaming but this might change with SteamOS. (Maybe the Steam client on Ubuntu will be sufficient for that - but since I've got a Radeon I am curious about Mantle).
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 10:03:30 AM by Cybermonkey »

Tomaaz

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 04:33:23 PM »
Aurel, why can't you accept the fact that the world is changing? Today, huge number of people surf the web, communicate, chat, play games, listen to music and watch videos without using Windows. In my household it's only me who still needs Windows and care about it. My wife only needs internet access and she doesn’t care what OS she's using. My son has his own laptop with Linux Mint on it and he doesn't complain about it. Well, sometimes he says he'd prefer iPad. :) That's funny. We don't have iPad, but he knows what it is. We don't have any other tablet, but he knows what tablet is. What we have are two copies of Windows, but if you ask him about Windows he will probably take you to his room and show you... a window. ;D

Of course, Windows is not gonna disappear overnight (hopefully, it will never disappear, because choice is a very good thing to have), but that's the fact that nowadays many people simply don't need it anymore and can happily live without it.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 04:36:47 PM by Tomaaz »

Aurel

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 04:55:46 PM »
Aurel, why can't you accept the fact that the world is changing?
is this a joke ;D

Today, huge number of people surf the web, communicate, chat, play games, listen to music and watch videos without using Windows
where ..in Poland maybe
in Croatia not.

my point is that virtual OS and his graphic capability (for games) never will
replace real hardware accelerated graphic...that is my point not
that i can't accept that world is changing... :P
and this thing do not have nothing with windows,right?
but whan you ask...nobody here (in area where i live)who have PC don't use linux...
i can bet in this.
you may believe or not , most people here use PC for games and there is no better
platform for games than windows.
Of course young people use smartphones with android but at home everyone use windows.
Unfortunately i whish that things are different and the linux have much more folowers.
For example my son have in school just windows and learn informatic only on windows...
even he like from time to time to use linux on one our computer and surf trough net...
that's all folks.. ;)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 05:01:09 PM by Aurel »

Tomaaz

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 05:12:26 PM »
I don't know anyone who play games on PC. People either use smart-phones and tablets or consoles. If you think I was trying to tell you that people play games on Linux desktops, you misunderstood me. Seriously, personally I don't know a single person who uses laptop or desktop (with Linux, Windows or any other OS) for games. But I believe you that in the area you live in, it's like that (probably for economical reasons). But you mustn't think that the whole world looks the same.

Windows is still much better than Linux for music creation or image processing, but professionals mostly use Macs already or think about moving to Mac. I really do hope that Windows will last and become even better OS, but sorry - your vision reminds me about the world in late 90s and early 00s.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong. I'm sure there still is a huge number of people using PCs for games (even if I personally don't know a single one), but gamers can live happily without Windows today.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 05:17:16 PM by Tomaaz »

Aurel

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 05:56:24 PM »
(probably for economical reasons)...
this must be joke to...because of economical reasons people use comercial os and
play games...give me a break
I am not sure where i read but thing is that PC(read Window desktop) is still dominant platform for games.
You cannot compare those tiny games for android and PC Windows games.
MS have very big influence in Croatia and that is true.

Tomaaz

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 10:40:04 PM »
this must be joke to...because of economical reasons people use comercial os and
play games...give me a break

For economical reasons people use the same equipment (PC) for everything (games, web browsing, music, videos, word processing etc.) instead of using different things for different tasks.

I am not sure where i read but thing is that PC(read Window desktop) is still dominant platform for games.

You didn't understand me. I'm not saying that PC gaming is dead. I'm just saying that there are many alternatives to it and you really don't need Windows to have fun with good games.

You cannot compare those tiny games for android and PC Windows games.

Of course, you can. And why do you keep ignoring consoles?

MS have very big influence in Croatia and that is true.

I believe you, but Croatia's population is smaller than that of London, so... You know, Opera was very popular in Russia and it doesn't exists at the moment (the new version is extremely poor and has nothing to do with the old browser).

All I'm trying to say is that everything changes. Look at Nokia and BlackBerry. What was their position ten years ago and where are they now. Of course you can't compare Microsoft to them, but the times when to do anything useful with computer you had to have Windows on it are over.

Aurel

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 12:49:06 PM »
as I need to re-install Windows quite frequently
what... :o
and why you need to re-install Windows? ???
I never have such a problems. ;D

Asterios

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 07:58:57 PM »
I saw the debate and wanted to throw my two cents.

It is a fact that most people don`t play on computers, but that is because casual gaming made the activity more viable. For casual games, you don`t need a rig, thus a tablet or a smartphone suffices, and makes gaming more accessible. Consoles shouldn`t be mentioned, because although people use them, they are pretty much in their own turf.(Wii is an exception)

Macs are mostly bought from people who give an emphasis on design and art, not performance. From the business side, it is easier and cheaper to use Windows. That also counts for technical support and installation. People who incorporate Macs were already Mac users, and their type of work is not heavy duty.

Despite the reason that Linux is free, it doesn`t have a big chunk of the market because of two reasons in my opinion: lack of compatibility and usability. In Windows, you can pretty much plug in anything, and it will either work immediately, or there will surely be drivers available. On Linux too, but exceptionally. Most of the time you may have problems installing printers, modems, or other hardware, and then need to scour the net for obscure drivers or solutions. In Windows, I  execute the .exe or decompress and then run the .exe, it works. In Linux, there is the package manager, but when you try to install something manually, it is a hassle and requires typing commands in a shell, something I doubt home users have done and will ever want to do.

Most users can surely do almost anything they want on each one of the 3 platforms. The thing is, sometimes they are done differently by every platform, and users hate to learn. That is why I think Windows will keep strong. It could be toppled if Linux made some steps towards home users. Smartphones are mainly used for communication, and doing casual things like listening to music, when there isn`t a computer nearby.

Tomaaz

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 09:55:59 PM »
Consoles shouldn`t be mentioned, because although people use them, they are pretty much in their own turf.(Wii is an exception)

They should, because they "steal" users from PCs. I know people who for sure would use PCs for games if didn't have consoles.

Linux vs Windows... I have to disagree with you.

1. Fragmentation is not that big problem anymore. The most popular distros (Ubuntu and Mint) and many others based on them work basically the same way.

2. Installing programs manually is not a problem, because all popular applications (and many many more) are in repositories. You can also download ready to install packages from the web.

3. Problems with hardware might happen, but on the other hand sometimes things just work better under Linux. Generally Linux works much faster with all my USB devices (mp3 player, ebook reader etc.) and gives me less restricted access to them.

Linux is not popular because:

1. People don't like changes.
2. Windows comes already installed (do you really believe that ordinary users wouldn't have problems with installing it from scratch?).
3. Many Linux developers ignore users and open source philosophy is not for everyone (you never know what's gonna happen to the software), so...
4... many people feel safer if they paid for the product or if the product comes from a big company (Android, for example).

As you can see, these reasons have nothing to do with technology. They are more about business and the way Linux is distributed and maintained.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 09:58:49 PM by Tomaaz »

Asterios

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 08:01:00 PM »
They should, because they "steal" users from PCs. I know people who for sure would use PCs for games if didn't have consoles.

I am not sure if we could consider console players stolen, if they think of the PC only as a tool. I am talking of the users who would never consider a PC something beyond that, though I guess you mean the users who jumped ship. Well, a console gives the virtual promise of stability. You don`t need to upgrade all the time to play the newest game. Now I say virtual, because of the life cycle of a console, which forces you to jump wagon if you want to stay on the train.

1. Fragmentation is not that big problem anymore. The most popular distros (Ubuntu and Mint) and many others based on them work basically the same way.

2. Installing programs manually is not a problem, because all popular applications (and many many more) are in repositories. You can also download ready to install packages from the web.

I will agree, it isn`t as big as it was on the start. But still, there are many famous distros, and if the application you want is not available, you must build from source, and that is a hassle.

I`ve already mentioned the package manager, but I refered to the multitude of programs that you find on the net, like the small humble game you found the other day, or a timetable program you want to try out. These are not in packages, and require for you to do the job of finding the dependencies. Although they come with instructions, they are different for each program.

3. Problems with hardware might happen, but on the other hand sometimes things just work better under Linux. Generally Linux works much faster with all my USB devices (mp3 player, ebook reader etc.) and gives me less restricted access to them.

That may be true, but it is not the norm. A home user wants functionality at the first point. Features and speed come next.

1. People don't like changes.

People don`t like learning. Linux requires you to do that to resolve a problem. Power users like that, but home users find it annoying.

2. Windows comes already installed (do you really believe that ordinary users wouldn't have problems with installing it from scratch?).

I used to install Linux distros just to try them out. I could confidently say that some installation wizards can be as complex as Windows. Plus, there have also been PCs that were distributed with Linux preinstalled, like the Asus Eee Pc.

3. Many Linux developers ignore users and open source philosophy is not for everyone (you never know what's gonna happen to the software), so...

These are true, though I wouldn`t say it is not for everyone, I would say that not everyone cares about it. They just want to achieve something, regardless of how it was developed.

Also, you don`t know what is going to happen to a commercial software, either.

4... many people feel safer if they paid for the product or if the product comes from a big company (Android, for example).

Safer is not the right word. Assured would be more appropriate. All people have the notion that something which has a price is of better quality than something free.

Bereb

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2013, 05:39:46 PM »
Before my computer fails, I was frightened of Linux for all the (wrong) reasons Asterios gave us above. But as I could not pay for a new 'Windows', I decided to Install 'Linux' (Ubuntu) on my computer, that I repaired by myself with what comes to hand (particularly a secondhand hard disk).
What I can conclude now :
- Linux is not more difficult to install than Windows, it's even easier and faster
- Linux is installed with a lot of usefull softwares (much more than in Windows)
- Linux rarely (or even never) crashes, unlike Windows
- Linux is less slow than Windows
- I can do with Linux exactly what I did with Windows (graphics, music, etc.) and sometimes more
- I don't need to defragment my hd, I don't need anti-virus (even if it's really recommended)
- I can run Windows-programs in Linux, if I want (but I don't need either)
- I can test easily various Linux implementations (with Live-CD or Live-DVD or Live-USB) in order to find which one suits to me
- All that as easy as with Windows
For no earthly reason, I'll go back to Windows. Moreover, if I need to change my computer, I'll buy one whithout presinstalled Windows (but itis not so easy to find such one in my country)...
That's all, just to finish with somes prejudices about non-Windows system  8)

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2013, 07:06:50 PM »
Before my computer fails, I was frightened of Linux for all the (wrong) reasons Asterios gave us above. But as I could not pay for a new 'Windows', I decided to Install 'Linux' (Ubuntu) on my computer, that I repaired by myself with what comes to hand (particularly a secondhand hard disk).
What I can conclude now :
- Linux is not more difficult to install than Windows, it's even easier and faster
- Linux is installed with a lot of usefull softwares (much more than in Windows)
- Linux rarely (or even never) crashes, unlike Windows
- Linux is less slow than Windows
- I can do with Linux exactly what I did with Windows (graphics, music, etc.) and sometimes more
- I don't need to defragment my hd, I don't need anti-virus (even if it's really recommended)
- I can run Windows-programs in Linux, if I want (but I don't need either)
- I can test easily various Linux implementations (with Live-CD or Live-DVD or Live-USB) in order to find which one suits to me
- All that as easy as with Windows
For no earthly reason, I'll go back to Windows. Moreover, if I need to change my computer, I'll buy one whithout presinstalled Windows (but itis not so easy to find such one in my country)...
That's all, just to finish with somes prejudices about non-Windows system  8)
That's a really good list. I made the same experience. Thank god it's easier in Germany to buy a computer without Windows pre-installed (and therefore one can safe about 80-100 €).