Author Topic: Welcome to the new board for Pulsar2D  (Read 23943 times)

Tomaaz

Re: Welcome to the new board for Pulsar2D
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2014, 10:22:06 AM »
we dont need documentation...

I don't know who's "we", but I'm pretty sure that majority of users do need a documentation.

Osgeld

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2014, 04:34:18 AM »

GEEK

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2014, 01:12:47 AM »
He just want to say that (and I am one of them) for a lot of people documentation can be a lot of help!
if you start to learn programming its like flying an airplane without knowing the function of each button,
maybe you can guess a little but if you want to fly without problems and questions you have to study ;)

Tomaaz

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2014, 10:23:31 AM »
Well, Pulsar2D is addressed to beginners and hobbyists and it obviously should come with a good documentation. In the past I tried to push some beginners to use EGSL. They liked the examples, but lack of documentation was a big problem. I'm not saying that with a good Pulsar2D documentation this place will soon have hundreds of active users. It didn't happen for NaaLaa, but Pulsar2D is based on Lua which is well known in game industry, so... One is for sure - without a documentation it's not gonna go anywhere.

Cosmo

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2014, 01:44:00 PM »
Yes, a good documentation is always welcome, especially for beginners.
But more important are snippets or bigger examples, this is what teaches.

A documentation describes only the instruction set and is for advanced a good help,
of course, for beginner too. 

But advanced  programmer want know what  the parameters are, and how must they deal with it.  This is what teaches a documentation.

Beginner are thinking  a documentation teaches programming. I guess.

Tomaaz

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2014, 04:06:09 PM »
A documentation describes only the instruction set... 

??? I think what you mean is a manual or language reference. "Documentation" means everything - manuals, reference, tutorials, books, code examples etc.

Rick3137

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2014, 05:38:32 PM »

I am having a little problem with getting pulsar to work with .lua files.
My Windows7 still thinks that they run with EGSL. and it will not let me change it.
 The only way that I can run pulsar2d is with a copy of cmd.exe put into the folder that
contains pulsarlua.exe and sample.lua,  along with all the DLL files.
 Is there an easy way to fix this?

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2014, 07:06:00 PM »
I am having a little problem with getting pulsar to work with .lua files.
My Windows7 still thinks that they run with EGSL. and it will not let me change it.
 The only way that I can run pulsar2d is with a copy of cmd.exe put into the folder that
contains pulsarlua.exe and sample.lua,  along with all the DLL files.
 Is there an easy way to fix this?
Ok, that's more of a Windows problem.  Since Pulsar2D isn't installed as a regular program, a work-around would be to drag and drop the Lua file onto the pulsarlua.exe. Or click with your right mouse button upon a Lua file and choose "open with ..." or something like that. Maybe you can choose p2d. Or install Geany, and change the execute path of the Lua interpreter to the pulsarlua executable.

Rick3137

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2014, 09:21:44 PM »
  Drag and drop worked just fine. Thanks for the tip.

For people who get confused as easy  as I do, here's a slight improvement on this method:

I unzipped the files to a safe out of the way spot and right clicked on pulsarlua.exe and selected the  option - make shortcut.
Then I put this shortcut in the folder where I keep my .lua text files. I can now drag and drop any .lua file into the
shortcut and it will run. No need for a set up program.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 05:32:59 PM by Rick3137 »

Luposian

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2015, 02:41:10 AM »
Let's refresh this thread, shall we?  First post in months and months!  Let's get this party rockin' again!

Ok, I'm learning a few things... Cybermonkey is coding Pulsar2D.  Apparently he also coded EGSL.  Marcus Mangold may or may not be Cybermonkey.  And... drumroll please... PulsarLua is actually Pulsar2D.  Or... is PulsarLua the main program within Pulsar2D?

Speak to me, ye from the depths and recesses and shadows of past posts!  I command ye... A R I S E  FROM  THY  ANCIENT  SLUMBER!!! :-D

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2015, 09:11:42 AM »
The game engine is called Pulsar2D. PulsaLua is the Lua interpreter which uses the game engine. Of course you can use Pulsar2D with FreePascal, too.
And yes, I am Markus.  ;)
FIRST WITCH
When shall we three meet again?
In thunder, lightning, or in rain?

SECOND WITCH
When the hurly-burly's done,
When the battle's lost and won.

THIRD WITCH
That will be ere the set of sun.

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2015, 09:20:17 AM »
The game engine is called Pulsar2D. PulsaLua is the Lua interpreter which uses the game engine. Of course you can use Pulsar2D with FreePascal, too.

You can try an old school demo made with PulsarLua for Windows: http://egsl.retrogamecoding.org/media/pulsardemo/PulsarDemo.7z

FIRST WITCH
When shall we three meet again?
In thunder, lightning, or in rain?

SECOND WITCH
When the hurly-burly's done,
When the battle's lost and won.

THIRD WITCH
That will be ere the set of sun.

Luposian

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2015, 03:34:41 PM »
I really enjoyed the Pulsar Demo.  Reminds me a little of The Cuddley Bear Demos, on the Atari ST... ah ,the memories!

Now, how soon will Pulsar2D be available for Windows, MacOS X, Linux, and/or Haiku OS?  This new version has been being talked about for YEARS (since 2012, I think)!

Luposian

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2015, 03:47:12 PM »

Thanks for the clarification.  Seems you're quite the one-man show, 'round these parts.  But, given that, could ye spare a few processor cycles to help me learn more about programming in EGSL (since Pulsar2D isn't quite out yet)?  I'm having tons of fun, but it's a real pain having to figure it out all by myself.  I won't post more here, but if you could hop over to the EGSL threads, I'd really appreciate it.