Author Topic: Problems with compilers  (Read 6076 times)

Tomaaz

Problems with compilers
« on: December 12, 2015, 12:46:24 PM »
While, PulsarLua works rather nice, Pulsar is quite unusable with FreeBASIC and FreePascal. FreeBASIC version seems to be unable to open graphics in format other than BPM. Under Linux, FreePascal complains about missing X module that is required by one of the FreePascal SDL headers (tested on Sparky Linux based on Debian testing).

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
Re: Problems with compilers
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 04:28:00 PM »
Sorry, but this I can not confirm.
For example the Particlesdemo uses PNG-Files which works without any problems here.
About which X module is FreePascal complaining? You should install the apropriate development library.
Since you said that PulsarLua works and PulsarLua is actually compiled with FreePascal, so you should be able to compile yourself Pulsar2D examples if all dependencies are installed ...
(I am using Kubuntu and Ubuntu MATE which are also based on Debian, so there should be all dependencies available.)

Tomaaz

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 05:29:04 PM »
Sorry, but this I can not confirm.
For example the Particlesdemo uses PNG-Files which works without any problems here.

When I try to run this example compiled with FreeBASIC on Win 10, I get a SDL_LoadBMP error. It works with BMP files.

Since you said that PulsarLua works and PulsarLua is actually compiled with FreePascal, so you should be able to compile yourself Pulsar2D examples if all dependencies are installed ...

Of course, but I need to know what dependencies I need to have installed.

(I am using Kubuntu and Ubuntu MATE which are also based on Debian, so there should be all dependencies available.)

I'm pretty sure they are, but I don't think that "chasing dependencies" situation should take place in case of something like Pulsar. BTW I was wrong. PulsarLua also doesn't work on my distro. There are errors about GL something and division by zero.

Forget Linux. I'm more surprised with this FreeBASIC on Windows situation.

Aurel

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 07:32:25 AM »
Forget Linux
wow do you say that tomek  :o

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 09:13:35 AM »

When I try to run this example compiled with FreeBASIC on Win 10, I get a SDL_LoadBMP error. It works with BMP files.

Hm, it also works on my Windows 10, so I can't tell what the problem ist. Maybe one or more DLLs are missing? (Sounds like SDL2_image dependency). I will soon upload all needed DLLs in one ZIP file, so you can try that.

Tomaaz

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 04:04:40 PM »
Maybe one or more DLLs are missing? (Sounds like SDL2_image dependency).

It would probably generate an error during the compilation process. Also, why does it work with BMP files?

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 09:30:03 AM »
Maybe one or more DLLs are missing? (Sounds like SDL2_image dependency).

It would probably generate an error during the compilation process. Also, why does it work with BMP files?
No, it wouldn't. You can compile AFAIK without the DLLs. All you need are the header files.
It works maybe with BMP files because they are not compressed. For PNGs you'll need the zlib and libpng libraries, too.
Can you load JPEGs?

Tomaaz

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 04:31:24 PM »
No, it wouldn't. You can compile AFAIK without the DLLs.

Nope. You can't. I removed DLLs and this is what I get:
C:\FreeBASIC\bin\win32\ld.exe: cannot find -lSDL2
C:\FreeBASIC\bin\win32\ld.exe: cannot find -lSDL2_image
C:\FreeBASIC\bin\win32\ld.exe: cannot find -lSDL2_mixer
Press any key to continue . . .

But it's working now. I copied all the DLLs from PulsarLua. This is exactly why we need documentation. ;)

wow do you say that tomek  :o

I don't think I will be using FreeBASIC or FreePascal on Linux, so... But if you are planning to do so, I'm pretty sure Cybermonkey will help you. :)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 04:45:26 PM by Tomaaz »

Aurel

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 12:04:40 AM »
FreeBASIC work fine on my Slitaz box