Basicprogramming(.org) > General questions and discussions

SpecBAS - where next?

(1/5) > >>

Richly:
The more I use SpecBAS the more I love it  :)

It just gets better with each new version.

Paul - I know you are concentrating on finishing the Arcade Game Designer (when do you think that will be available?) but where do you see SpecBAS going next when that is done?

ZXDunny:
Hi Richey :)

AGD is about 80% done now - but I had a setback (lost my job, had to find a new one - done that, so back to development at full-tilt again in the new year), so had to let it drop for a while. I'm ploughing on, but only getting an hour or so a day to get it done.

After that, SpecBAS will be back at the forefront and that means new stuff. So...

32Bit graphics will be finished off - it's already working for most things. WINDOW DEPTH 0,32 will activate 32 bit mode for the default window. The only thing that doesn't work is 32bit texturing with GRAPHIC banks.

3D will be featuring quite heavily with the next major release. I'm planning on building around the old Freescape engine (with the usual SpecBAS-style enhancements, so that means texturing and animation etc).

A new editor is on the way. This (optional!) editor will be more like a traditional text editor. If you've ever used BASin then you'll have a pretty good idea as to what it will be like. It will also include stuff like on-the-fly syntax information.

I added menus to the system back earlier this year - that's so that the editor can get a nice menu for things like File, Edit, Tools etc. Tools will all be written in SpecBAS and be launchable from that menu. Stuff like UDG editors and Painting apps - things like that.

I've a fair bit more to do. The language itself is settling down now; aside from optimisations to the engine (And a compiler) there's not a lot to do in that direction.

Unless anyone has any suggestions.... :)

D.

Richly:
Sorry to hear about your job - but glad you got another one.

I'm really looking forward to the new SpecBAS stuff (and AGD too) but still got plenty to explore in the current version while I wait  :)

ZXDunny:

--- Quote from: Richey on December 23, 2015, 11:03:17 PM ---Sorry to hear about your job - but glad you got another one.

I'm really looking forward to the new SpecBAS stuff (and AGD too) but still got plenty to explore in the current version while I wait  :)

--- End quote ---

The new job is ace - I'm working from home (so I can be out of bed by 08:55am and at my desk by 09:00, with coffee on tap and no need to even get dressed) and earning more than I was previously. It's win-win. I'm also now one of the developers of one of the most successful music studio software packages ever created, which is great fun. And the rest of the team are pretty bonkers too :)

Keep the bug reports coming, and any suggestions too. I'm making notes of what people ask for, ready for when I get time to return to it. I fix bugs immediately, mind!

D.

jj2007:

--- Quote from: ZXDunny on December 23, 2015, 11:37:18 PM ---I'm also now one of the developers of one of the most successful music studio software packages ever created, which is great fun. And the rest of the team are pretty bonkers too :)
--- End quote ---

So you got a big Xmas present ;-)
Congrats, Paul, you deserve it!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version