Author Topic: Cross-platform BBC BASIC  (Read 27452 times)

Richly

Cross-platform BBC BASIC
« on: December 27, 2015, 05:52:56 PM »
Richard Russell, the author of several versions of BBC BASIC including BBC BASIC for Windows (for those who don't know Richard from BP.org), has announced that he is developing a cross-platform SDL-based 32-bit version of BBC BASIC for Intel x86-based Operating Systems.

Development will initially concentrate on a Linux (86) version, but he intends to port it to Mac-OS X and Android (86) as well.

A working version of SDL (86) BBC BASIC for Linux has already been developed by Richard.

If you are interested, here is the forum dedicated to the development of the cross-platform SDL (86) version of BBC BASIC:

http://bbcbasic.conforums.com/index.cgi

ZXDunny

Re: Cross-platform BBC BASIC
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 05:20:06 PM »
A working version of SDL (86) BBC BASIC for Linux has already been developed by Richard.

No ARM/Linux, no sale. Still not portable.

D.

Richly

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 09:25:35 PM »
BBC BASIC for SDL 2.0 v0.13a released

version 0.13b for Android also released.

Among other changes, all editions now come with an IDE; including a touch optimised version for the Android port.

http://bbcbasic.conforums.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=announcements&num=1463090996&start=0#1463090996

ZXDunny

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 02:09:34 PM »
All still x86 (which is idiotic considering that x86 Android devices are quite the minority). Still no sale.

D.

Richly

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 08:21:32 PM »
Yes, I'm not sure why he hasn't looked to produce an ARM version. I think someone else is doing that at the moment for Rasp PI plus there is RISC OS. Richard has coded BBC BASIC in IA-32 Assembly. Not sure if that makes a difference when porting?

Anyway, to be fair, he has been clear that it is restricted to x86 but at least it offers BBC BASIC to some other platforms in addition to Windows...

ZXDunny

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 10:05:56 AM »
Yes, I'm not sure why he hasn't looked to produce an ARM version. I think someone else is doing that at the moment for Rasp PI plus there is RISC OS. Richard has coded BBC BASIC in IA-32 Assembly. Not sure if that makes a difference when porting?

Yeah, it means that it has to be 100% rewritten from scratch. x86 asm cannot be run on any other chipset without an emulation shell.

D.

Aurel

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 09:28:04 PM »
well what to say ...
mister R is man with two faces ...one presented on bp.org as sensitive & notouchy soul
and other capitalistic which care only about money with his comercial product based
on old original BBC BASIC name and this other inject into other comercial product called
LibertyBasic  with tendention to grab some percent of LB users creating hibrid
callled LBBooster...
but it looks simply that he don't have a luck with all this mumbo-jumbo  ::)

Richly

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 09:40:46 PM »
well what to say ...
mister R is man with two faces ...one presented on bp.org as sensitive & notouchy soul
and other capitalistic which care only about money with his comercial product based
on old original BBC BASIC name and this other inject into other comercial product called
LibertyBasic  with tendention to grab some percent of LB users creating hibrid
callled LBBooster...
but it looks simply that he don't have a luck with all this mumbo-jumbo  ::)

Well, I may be wrong but I doubt that Richard makes a fortune from selling BBC BASIC for Windows for the vast sum of £29.99, which incidentally also includes free upgrades for life; not least because there other free versions of BBC BASIC out there, which incidentally Richard advertises on his BBC BASIC web page...

http://www.bbcbasic.co.uk/bbcbasic.html

...not to mention his new x86 version, which is also free  :)

However, if this is still all too much for you then of course you have the option of not bothering  ;)

As regards LBB, Richard has no commercial interest in attracting LB users since LBB is free. LBB was really intended to show off the capabilities of BBC BASIC for Windows, which LBB is written in.

It does however provide LB users with the option (there is again no-one compelling anyone to use it) of a more stable, bug-free and quicker implementation of the Liberty Basic language that continues to be actively developed; particularly since there is still no sign of the long-awaited Liberty Basic version 5 and the last version 4.5.0 also came supplied with quite a few new bugs!

You pay your money (although in the case of LBB you pay no money  :) ) and you take your choice!

B+

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 07:04:06 PM »
Hi Richey,

I don't think you are wrong.  8)

Aurel might have been having a bad day with his TOY.  ;)

Believe it or not, he is a pretty good host at his forum.  :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 07:07:38 PM by B+ »

Richly

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 10:26:01 PM »
Believe it or not, he is a pretty good host at his forum.  :)

BASIC programming forums would certainly be duller places without Aurel  :)

As well as being a pretty good programmer and radio hobbyist, he is also a talented comic artist and a rather funny comedian.

Not having Aurel around would be like watching Star Wars starring the Jedi but not the Sith  ;)

ScriptBasic

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 07:01:40 AM »
Aurel is an exceptional example of what's wrong with public forums.

B+

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 12:59:46 PM »
Hey John, you are still alive...

and kickin'   ;D

append: Pretty quiet at AllBASIC this past month, time to pick a fight with Aurel right?  or me  ;D

append #2: all we need now is Tomaaz here to tell us what we should be doing.  ;)

append #3: BTW, I checked out RUBY which is better than JavaScript which is better than JAVA from my basic point of view and corner of the sandbox and looped around to Python 2 which is better than the above mentioned.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 01:24:43 PM by B+ »

ZXDunny

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 06:51:44 PM »
I have to say, he (Aurel) is exceptional as a forum host. The place is very lively, and new posts every day which is more than you can say about... well, anywhere else in BASIC land, even this place.

And not a single argument or bickering to be seen. He's doing a stellar job, and it's a pleasure to have a membership there.

D.

ScriptBasic

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 07:04:55 PM »
Hey John, you are still alive...

Yes and very busy with real life projects using Script BASIC. I just follow the hobby aspect of BASIC for entertainment.

Aurel

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2016, 10:11:03 PM »
As regards LBB, Richard has no commercial interest in attracting LB users since LBB is free
hi Richey
you are wrong because you probably forget what he said on bp.org forum
on my question ...what is main purpose of LBB?
and he answer something like  that :
LBB is created with purpose to attract LB users to BB4W.
so there is no need to defend him ,that is his choice and is fact...
on the other side i understand that you are biased to LB or you like LB