Author Topic: Cross-platform BBC BASIC  (Read 27445 times)

Aurel

Re: Cross-platform BBC BASIC
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 10:15:09 PM »
append: Pretty quiet at AllBASIC this past month, time to pick a fight with Aurel right?  or me  ;D
append #2: all we need now is Tomaaz here to tell us what we should be doing.  ;)
append #3: BTW, I checked out RUBY which is better than JavaScript which is better than JAVA from my basic point of view and corner of the sandbox and looped around to Python 2 which is better than the above mentioned.
« Last Edit: 24. May 2016, 15:24:43 by B+ »

cool Mark...  :D
i agree....  :)

Richly

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 05:20:24 AM »
I have to say, he (Aurel) is exceptional as a forum host. The place is very lively, and new posts every day which is more than you can say about... well, anywhere else in BASIC land, even this place.

And not a single argument or bickering to be seen. He's doing a stellar job, and it's a pleasure to have a membership there.

D.

I'll have to make a point of visiting more often.

Nothing much is the same though since bp.org disappeared.

Richly

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2016, 05:37:40 AM »
As regards LBB, Richard has no commercial interest in attracting LB users since LBB is free
hi Richey
you are wrong because you probably forget what he said on bp.org forum
on my question ...what is main purpose of LBB?
and he answer something like  that :
LBB is created with purpose to attract LB users to BB4W.
so there is no need to defend him ,that is his choice and is fact...
on the other side i understand that you are biased to LB or you like LB

I don't mind LB since it offers relatively easy Windows programming when I want to do that; but I agree with you that the Windows commands that belong to LB and other commands in BB4W that allow access to the Windows API are not really BASIC. In my view, these are extensions to the BASIC language and are really useful and powerful features but they are not BASIC.

That's why I mainly use SpecBAS and BASin (Dunnys Sinclair BASIC interpreter) because it's BASIC that I really love (Sinclair BASIC was my first love) and I'm still learning to code; for that reason too, most of my coding is console based.

I also use BB4W a lot too but rarely use it for Windows programming. When I use BB4W it is because it is fully compatible with the BBC BASIC language (I used that at school) and has some useful additional features, such as the ability to use and learn about structures.

B+

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2016, 04:35:55 PM »
Yes, I tried BB4W and I liked it. I think if I ever break down and actually buy a dialect, I know I'd get my money's worth from BB4W. For lifetime did Richey say? Richey is such a salesman! (Sometimes I think he is Richard himself but Richard wouldn't lavish such praises for D's stuff.  :o   ;) OMG imagine that! ;) ) And I like Richard's dedication to keep his dialect consistent with past versions and I like his integrity remaining true to his ideals.

Being born on the other side of the pond, I grew up with, and fondly miss, an MS dialect of quick basic on a DOS system.
With it (and DOS), I could build a simple editor because I had full range with INKEY of Alt, Ctrl, Shift combinations, here is one aspect of coding that has gone downhill these past 20 years. But there are so many workarounds, I don't think I have to break down and buy something for access to API and assembler. I am probably not a serious enough coder for these advanced features anyway but the real drawback is learning how to take advantage of the extra power purchased for say, 30 pounds which is what $US?

Dang! I though it was past $3... hmmm...

Append: certainly affordable...
     but the real cost is the time, isn't it?
     and I worry spending so much time with a dialect that is just a shade off with what I grew up with
    (but allot closer than Python of course!)  ;D

I hope Aurel doesn't kick me out of his forum for disagreeing with him, a little, allot maybe when it comes to people.
I am already in danger for ceasing to try his TOY, sorry Aurel, it's too much work trying to learn other languages and help at SmallBASIC and keep up with other Basics. You know what is going on under the hood and all the changes... I don't have a clue what is a coding bug or a dialect bug.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 04:54:20 PM by B+ »

Aurel

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2016, 09:37:33 PM »
such as the ability to use and learn about structures.
what structures  ???
there are far better basics from where you can learn about structures UDT-s ,etc...etc
ever tried o2  ?

well MGA
if you whish to buy comercial thing then choice is clear PureBasic

B+

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2016, 09:48:21 PM »
PureBasic looked very pricey last time I looked. Do you get free updates for life? (not that I am in market)

Richly

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2016, 10:45:35 PM »
such as the ability to use and learn about structures.
what structures  ???
there are far better basics from where you can learn about structures UDT-s ,etc...etc
ever tried o2  ?

Hi Aurel

See chapter 15

http://www.bbcbasic.co.uk/bbcwin/tutorial/

Aurel

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2016, 10:55:43 PM »
and what you that there is explained ... UDT
User Defined Type or Structures..i dont see nothing new there
well explanation is fine
but all this you can find in other dialects to
o2 can use associative arrays,dynamicaly created arrays with udt ,linked list, hash tables
etc..etc ....some other dilaects to
so if you point is help or easy explanation then you have right  :)

Richly

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2016, 05:24:04 AM »
and what you that there is explained ... UDT
User Defined Type or Structures..i dont see nothing new there
well explanation is fine
but all this you can find in other dialects to
o2 can use associative arrays,dynamicaly created arrays with udt ,linked list, hash tables
etc..etc ....some other dilaects to
so if you point is help or easy explanation then you have right  :)

Yes, SpecBAS features Structures too.

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2016, 04:16:56 PM »
PureBasic looked very pricey last time I looked. Do you get free updates for life? (not that I am in market)
Yes, you pay once for all platforms and get free updates for life.

B+

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2016, 05:14:43 PM »
Hi Cybermonkey,

Thanks. All platforms could be handy for developers. Are you using PureBasic?

Richly

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2016, 05:34:24 PM »
Yes, you pay once for all platforms and get free updates for life.

79 Euros. Double the price of BB4W but, on the other hand, Pure Basic is cross-platform.

I think I'll stick with BB4W though  ;)

B+

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2016, 06:15:38 PM »
Yeah, I am a 1.05 platforms person myself.  ;)

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2016, 07:51:40 PM »
Hi Cybermonkey,

Thanks. All platforms could be handy for developers. Are you using PureBasic?
No, I only tried the free (demo) versions. It's nicely made but for GUI programming I am rather using Lazarus/FreePascal and for game programming (in BASIC) I am using FreeBASIC. (And again FreePascal). At the moment I am programming in C and there are plans to port Pulsar2D to C ... But first will start my vacation on Sunday.

Richly

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2016, 09:31:46 PM »
v0.14a has been released, now including a version for Mac OS-X.