Author Topic: Language for 2D gaming to start with  (Read 5554 times)

Tomaaz

Re: Language for 2D gaming to start with
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2016, 10:24:02 PM »
John, it's dragomrak you need to convince, not me. ;) I gave him a honest advice, but if you convince him to use ScriptBasic I won't be arguing.

ScriptBasic

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2016, 10:40:48 PM »
Thanks for the positive note but I stopped promoting Script BASIC to hobbyists. Its focus is an embedding scripting engine. scriba (765KB) is an example of how to use the engine. I have demonstrated numerous times how a scriba lite compiles in under 8K.

wang renxin

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2016, 08:17:44 AM »
At first I'd like to find out, if I like gamecoding and whether I'm good enough to do that.

Hi dragonmrak,

Nobody were born to do game coding, and trust me, there are a lot of obstacles in the way learning game development. Regarding dozens of languages, libs, engines, blah blah... But the key principles are quite stable, don't be scared by names of new techniques. Maths is definitely a requirement, but don't worry, you don't have to know anything complicated to BE a game developer to get your player move on a map or kill some monsters in the first game. If you'll not scared away then you'll have to gather as much experience as you can to BE A GOOD game developer. But learning and challenging are excited, aren't they?

I recommend GameMaker (with GML), or PyGame (with Python), because they are friendly to beginners, consider they don't require you to do tons of fundamental work to get it runnable and interactable. And they are already wildly used, especially for beginner game developers.

Best