Author Topic: Integer/looping benchmark  (Read 4813 times)

Ed Davis

Integer/looping benchmark
« on: April 20, 2016, 12:21:39 AM »
Here is the latest update of the integer intensive interpreter benchmark. Interestingly, the fastest interpreter I tested is over 7 times slower than optimized C.

What is the purpose of this?

I enjoy fiddling with compilers/interpreters, especially those that are simple enough that I can understand. I also enjoy writing my own.  I wanted to find out what makes some interpreters so much faster than others, and why are others so slow. Examining the source to some of these interpreters has helped me learn some of the reasons, and has helped to improve the speed of those I'm working on.

Here is the test code in fairly standard Basic:

Code: [Select]
accum = 0
count = 0
while count < 1545
    leftedge   = -420
    rightedge  =  300
    topedge    =  300
    bottomedge = -300
    xstep      =  7
    ystep      =  15

maxiter    =  200

y0 = topedge
    while y0 > bottomedge
        x0 = leftedge
        while x0 < rightedge
            y = 0
            x = 0
            thechar = 32
            xx = 0
            yy = 0
            i = 0
            while i < maxiter and xx + yy <= 800
                xx = int((x * x) / 200)
                yy = int((y * y) / 200)
                if xx + yy > 800 then
                    thechar = 48 + i
                    if i > 9 then
                        thechar = 64
                    end if
                else
                    temp = xx - yy + x0
                    if (x < 0 and y > 0) or (x > 0 and y < 0) then
                        y = int(-1 * (-1 * x * y) / 100) + y0
                    else
                        y = int(x * y / 100) + y0
                    end if
                    x = temp
                end if

i = i + 1
            wend
            x0 = x0 + xstep
            accum = accum + thechar
        wend
        y0 = y0 - ystep
    wend

if count mod 300 = 0 then
        print accum,
    end if
    count = count + 1
wend

print accum

This is the output:

200574 60372774 120544974 180717174 240889374 301061574 309886830

This is a pretty intense integer benchmark!

Note this funky code:
Code: [Select]
    if (x < 0 and y > 0) or (x > 0 and y < 0) then
        y = int(-1 * (-1 * x * y) / 100) + y0
    else
        y = int(x * y / 100) + y0
    end if

It turns out that there is no consensus as to whether integer division, when one of the operands is negative, should round towards zero, negative infinity, or positive infinity.

Python and Ruby both round towards negative infinity.  C rounds towards zero.

In order to get the same output from each language (to verify that each language was essentially computing the same thing and doing similar work), I had to figure out how to preclude one of the operands from being negative.

The code checks, and if either x or y is < 0 (but not both), then it multiplies by minus one to force positive division, and then by minus one again at the end to restore the sign.

Below are the tests that I have run.  I would welcome your additions and/or suggestions.

Test machine:
Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64-bit
Intel Core i7-3720QM CPU @2.60GHz
16.0 GB (15.9 usable)

In the tables below
  • Native means that the code is compiled to machine code, one way or another, and an .exe is created.
  • JIT means that the code is only compiled to machine code on a Just In Time basis.
  • VM means that the code is compiled into virtual machine code, and that VM code is executed by a VM interpreter.
  • Interp means that the code is not compiled but interpreted - it may be tokenized though.
  • ? means I don't know how this processor works.  Updates are appreciated!
Basic compiler/interpreters:

FreeBasic                  1.09 seconds NativeBasic Compiler                               
BCX                        1.12 seconds NativeBasic to C translator                         
VisualBasic.Net            1.52 seconds JIT                                                
Oxygen Basic               3.77 seconds Native                                             
PowerBasic                 4.03 seconds Native                                             
QB64                      32.43 seconds NativeBasic to C++ translator                       
JWillia basic            109    seconds VM    Basic interpreter                             
ChipMunkBasic            216    seconds Interp                                             
Yabasic                  278    seconds VM                                                 
SdlBasic                 310    seconds ?                                                  
SmallBASIC               354    seconds ?                                                  
SpecBAS                  358    seconds VM    Basic interpreter                             
BBCBasic                 531    seconds ?                                                  
ThinBasic                543    seconds ?                                                  
FBSL                     551    seconds ?     Basic interpreter                             
Scriba                   618    seconds ?     Basic interpreter                             
RCBasic                  778    seconds ?                                                  
LBB                     1502    seconds ?     Liberty Basic Booster                         
DDS5                    3033    seconds InterpExtended Tiny Basic                           
my-basic                3302    seconds ?                                                  
MiniBASIC               5471    seconds Interp                                             
nuBASIC                 8132    seconds ?                                                  
Basic256              18852    seconds ?                                                  
bscript                21558    seconds ?     Basic interpreter                             

Various Toy implementations - mainly to experiment with speeds of various implementations:

Toy7.c                     7.80 seconds VM    gcc goto's, TOS, superinstructions           
Toy6.c                    19.76 seconds VM    gcc goto's                                   
Toy.bas                   33.35 seconds VM    compiled with FreeBASIC -lang qb -O 3         
Toy5.c                    53.48 seconds VM    Simple stack-based VM, standard C switch     
Toy.bas Oxygen ver.       82.34 seconds VM    console integer version - float version fails
Toy - tokenized, no VM   137    seconds InterpTokenizing interpreter - no VM               
Toy - pure interpreter  1154    seconds Interppure-interpreter - re-lexes each token - no VM

All the rest:

gcc C -O3 or -O2           1.00 seconds Native                                             
FreeBasic                  1.09 seconds NativeBasic Compiler                               
BCX                        1.12 seconds NativeBasic to C translator                         
Nim                        1.12 seconds Native                                             
gcc C -O  or -O1           1.13 seconds Native                                             
Java                       1.23 seconds JIT                                                
C#                         1.34 seconds JIT                                                
VisualBasic.Net            1.52 seconds JIT                                                
FreePascal                 1.92 seconds Native                                             
C, no options              1.96 seconds Native                                             
C -Os                      2.38 seconds Native                                             
Borland C                  2.80 seconds Native                                             
TinyC                      3.23 seconds Native                                             
euc -gcc -con              3.58 seconds NativeEuphoria to C translator                     
Oxygen Basic               3.77 seconds Native                                             
PowerBasic                 4.03 seconds Native                                             
Fast Toy.c                 7.80 seconds VM    gcc goto's, TOS, superinstructions           
Javascript via node.js    10.23 seconds JIT                                                
pe 64-bit                 14.26 seconds VM                                                 
pe 32-bit                 17.96 seconds VM                                                 
Toy6.c                    19.76 seconds VM    gcc goto's                                   
Java -Xint                21.24 seconds VM    Java without JIT                             
QB64                      32.43 seconds NativeBasic to C++ translator                       
Toy.bas                   33.35 seconds VM    compiled with FreeBASIC -lang qb -O 3         
Euphoria v4.1 beta 2      35.66 seconds VM                                                 
Pike                      44.39 seconds VM    C like interpreter                           
Toy5.c                    53.48 seconds VM                                                 
TinyPas.c                 58.97 seconds VM    Pascal-S converted to C.                     
Ruby                      60.25 seconds VM                                                 
SAL                       67.22 seconds VM                                                 
vspl                      68.76 seconds VM                                                 
Lua                       80.14 seconds VM                                                 
php                       81.23 seconds VM                                                 
Toy.bas Oxygen ver.       82.34 seconds VM    console integer version - float version fails
Wren                      84.57 seconds VM                                                 
PL0.c                     97.33 seconds VM    Wirth's 1976 Tiny Pascal converted to C       
C4                        97.80 seconds VM    C subset interpreter                         
UnderC                   103    seconds VM    C++ interpreter                               
JWillia basic            109    seconds VM    Basic interpreter                             
Toy - tokenized, no VM   137    seconds InterpTokenizing interpreter - no VM               
hoc                      140    seconds VM    Higher Order Calculator                       
Lily                     162    seconds VM                                                 
NaaLaa                   168    seconds VM                                                 
CInt                     201    seconds VM    C++ interpreter                               
ChipMunkBasic            216    seconds Interp                                             
Python                   274    seconds VM                                                 
Yabasic                  278    seconds VM                                                 
SdlBasic                 310    seconds ?                                                  
Hanson-calc              321    seconds VM    Hanson's version of hoc                       
SmallBASIC               354    seconds ?                                                  
SpecBAS                  358    seconds VM    Basic interpreter                             
BBCBasic                 531    seconds ?                                                  
ThinBasic                543    seconds ?                                                  
FBSL                     551    seconds ?     Basic interpreter                             
Ch                       582    seconds ?     C interpreter                                 
Scriba                   618    seconds ?     Basic interpreter                             
RCBasic                  778    seconds ?                                                  
SI                      1020    seconds InterpC subset interpreter                         
Toy - pure interpreter  1154    seconds Interppure-interpreter - re-lexes each token - no VM
LBB                     1502    seconds ?     Liberty Basic Booster                         
LittleC                 2160    seconds InterpC subset interpreter                         
PicoC                   2352    seconds ?     C interpreter                                 
DDS5                    3033    seconds InterpExtended Tiny Basic                           
my-basic                3302    seconds ?                                                  
MiniBASIC               5471    seconds Interp                                             
nuBASIC                 8132    seconds ?                                                  
Basic256              18852    seconds ?                                                  
bscript                21558    seconds ?     Basic interpreter                             

jcfuller

Re: Integer/looping benchmark
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 09:53:49 AM »
Ed,
  Nice work!!
Are  the BCX numbers relative to the c/c++ compiler used.
If so please list the compiler for the BCX test.
James

Ed Davis

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 11:06:22 AM »
Are  the BCX numbers relative to the c/c++ compiler used.

Most assuredly.

If so please list the compiler for the BCX test.

3 tries for each one, taking the lowest number.

gcc (tdm64-1) 5.1.0

-s -Ofast -m64  1.17
    -s -Ofast -m32  1.43

gcc (tdm64-2) 4.8.1

-s -Ofast -m64  1.12
    -s -Ofast -m32  1.43

I've noticed that 5.1 is slightly slower that 4.81 in some things, however 5.1 beats 4.81 in a few of my tests too.

wang renxin

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 01:49:43 PM »
Great job Ed. FYI. MY-BASIC works as an interpreter.

ZXDunny

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 01:55:34 PM »
FWIW, I've made quite a lot of changes to code flow in specbas just recently - cached GOTO/GOSUB and incomplete boolean evaluation so will likely shave a few seconds off that time. I'll release it soon.

D.

Ed Davis

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 03:20:59 PM »
Great job Ed. FYI. MY-BASIC works as an interpreter.

Thank you, and thanks for the clarification.

I've played with MY-BASIC somewhat, and you've done a good job.  I especially like some of the newer features you have added lately.

Ed Davis

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 03:22:30 PM »
FWIW, I've made quite a lot of changes to code flow in specbas just recently - cached GOTO/GOSUB and incomplete boolean evaluation so will likely shave a few seconds off that time. I'll release it soon.

Looking forward to it!  I keep it around, because I always enjoy running your graphic programs!

wang renxin

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 01:22:22 AM »
I especially like some of the newer features you have added lately.

Thanks, MB will keep evolving.