Basicprogramming(.org) > General questions and discussions

What BASIC do you mainly use?

<< < (11/11)

Mike Lobanovsky:

--- Quote from: jj2007 on August 13, 2016, 07:49:26 PM ---No translation involved here, Mike. It's pure Masm :)
--- End quote ---

Exactly, Jochen. It only uses Basic-like MASM macro names but that's exactly why it can't get completely rid of referring to the literal register names. Nonetheless I guess I should've written "... MyBasic and some others ... " in order to be absolutely meticulous. :)

--- Quote from: John on August 13, 2016, 11:38:25 PM ---What would be cool if MasmBasic could generate executable code without having to use the MASM assembler/linker. I think this is how OxygenBasic works.
--- End quote ---

I think that's highly unlikely because MASM32 is considerably stronger and more versatile than FBSL or O2 in its assembler engine, and that's what Jochen probably values the most. Yet the other two simpler assemblers are blazing fast as well even if compared to bytecode interpreters, to say nothing of conventional line-by-line interpretation.

jj2007:

--- Quote from: Mike Lobanovsky on August 14, 2016, 12:43:15 PM ---MASM32 is considerably stronger and more versatile than FBSL or O2 in its assembler engine
--- End quote ---

Compared to other assemblers (GAS, FASM, NASM, ...), the macro engine makes the difference: you can do incredible acrobatics with it. I am a M$ hater and Windows user, but I would feel honoured to know the persons who developed MASM more than twenty years ago.

Mike Lobanovsky:

--- Quote from: jj2007 on August 18, 2016, 12:13:10 AM ---... the macro engine makes the difference: you can do incredible acrobatics with it. ...
--- End quote ---

The MASM macro engine is essentially a preprocessor to an otherwise rank and file programming product. The listing of a good contemporary C99-compliant preprocessor alone (like the one built into FBSL, for example) for the C language would typically be longer than the listings of many indie BASIC dialect implementations. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version