Author Topic: Assembly in TIOBE Top 10  (Read 4089 times)

Richly

Assembly in TIOBE Top 10
« on: July 09, 2016, 09:41:46 PM »
Using their way of calculating popularity, TIOBE have recorded Assembly Language entering the top 10 most popular programming languages.

They attribute this to the increasing number of small devices, which benefit from being powered by Assembly.

Perhaps for the same reason, if true, we might see Forth gain in popularity once more?

Interesting also to see Perl back in the top 10 and COBOL still in the top 20.

BBC BASIC remains the only BASIC in the top 100; both purebasic and thinbasic seem to have dropped out of the listings.

Perhaps this is appropriate given the topic; BBC BASIC for Windows benefits from a built-in Assembler!

Aurel

Re: Assembly in TIOBE Top 10
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 08:46:12 AM »
I was looking there tonight too but i cannot find nothing
about popularity by OS...
like popular on windows
popular on linux
popular on Mac
do you have something like this?

Richly

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 05:59:39 PM »
I was looking there tonight too but i cannot find nothing
about popularity by OS...
like popular on windows
popular on linux
popular on Mac
do you have something like this?

Hmmm. I think that's a difficult one to answer and I couldn't find any information on it.

Most of the languages in the index are cross-platform though.

One site mentioned a survey of readers of Linux Journal undertaken in 2014 that placed Python at the top of their preferred list of languages, followed by C++, C, Perl and then Java.

How about doing our own survey here (although the sample will be small and not very representative :) ?

Aurel

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 06:40:46 PM »
One site mentioned a survey of readers of Linux Journal undertaken in 2014 that placed Python at the top of their preferred list of languages, followed by C++, C, Perl and then Java.
Exactly what i have looking for and I really doubt that list is similar for Windows.

Richly

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 09:55:03 PM »
Exactly what i have looking for and I really doubt that list is similar for Windows.

Yes, the TIOBE index looks at the popularity of languages regardless of OS.

Whilst one survey of the readers of Linux Journal can hardly be considered representative of the entire user base of that OS, I think that you are right; some languages are probably more popular on one OS or another. COBOL is probably still found mainly on mainframes!!

However, all the languages that they mention in the survey are also in the top 4 of the index this month; apart from Perl, which is at number 9. So perhaps the results from the survey are actually not too dissimilar from what you can see in the index this month.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 11:22:15 PM by Richey »

Aurel

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 12:15:38 PM »
...and this explain a lot :
Python has risen in popularity due to Google's investment in it over the past decade
http://www.inc.com/larry-kim/10-most-popular-programming-languages-today.html
heh i was talking about this so many times and as you can see it's true.
so python is not popular just because is good than because is pushed by such
a big company as Google.

Tomaaz

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 09:23:40 PM »
so python is not popular just because is good than because is pushed by such
a big company as Google.

Then why Go isn't one of the most popular languages? This is the question! :)

jj2007

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 11:46:57 AM »
Then why Go isn't one of the most popular languages? This is the question! :)

Wait until it's renamed to Gogle  8)