Author Topic: PulsarLua Linux doesn't work  (Read 5584 times)

Tomaaz

PulsarLua Linux doesn't work
« on: January 30, 2016, 01:00:36 PM »
I'm using Sparky Linux based on Debian. This is waht I get when I want to start PulsarLua:

An unhandled exception occurred at $00007F82738F99C4:
EDivByZero: Division by zero
  $00007F82738F99C4

All required libraries have been installed. The system is 64 bit.

EDIT EGSL also doesn't work on this system, but it can be fixed with a couple of symbolic links. I can't blame the system itself, cause everything else I've tried on it worked without problems (Python, Ruby. Lua. Luajit, Tcl, Perl5, Perl6, Julia, Euphoria, Go, Pygame, LOVE, BaCon, newLISP, Shoes, Freewrap, SdlBASIC).
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 01:40:28 PM by Tomaaz »

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
Re: PulsarLua Linux doesn't work
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 09:31:54 PM »
I just tested that and you are right. IMHO the problem lies within the Pascal SDL2 headers. I was able to compile my examples with FreeBASIC which are working fine. At the moment I am not able to fix that error since I didn't code those headers. The are just not working with the SDL2 libs on Sparky Linux. Seems I have to port pulsarlua to FreeBASIC.  ;)
The issue that you have to adjust symbolic links for EGSL is no surprise because the libs are differently named on Ubuntu. That's why most Linux software comes with the source code because binaries often don't work (unless they are part of the distro).
But at least AllegroBASIC works fine if you install the Allegro4 libraries ...  ;D

Tomaaz

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 09:56:43 PM »
I just tested that and you are right. IMHO the problem lies within the Pascal SDL2 headers. I was able to compile my examples with FreeBASIC which are working fine. At the moment I am not able to fix that error since I didn't code those headers. The are just not working with the SDL2 libs on Sparky Linux.

:(

The issue that you have to adjust symbolic links for EGSL is no surprise because the libs are differently named on Ubuntu. That's why most Linux software comes with the source code because binaries often don't work (unless they are part of the distro).

I'm not an expert here, but Ubuntu is based on Debian and they use the same package format and generally I don't have problems with installing programs on Sparky and Bodhi (based on older Ubuntu LTS) from exactly the same .deb packages. I don't know...

EDIT It is also possible to distribute program with all required libraries included. Seamonkey, Tor Browser, Bluegriffon, PeaZip (written in Pascal), Freewrap are distributed this way. It's not a common way on Linux, but it's possible.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 10:27:43 PM by Tomaaz »

Tomaaz

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 04:16:42 PM »
It doesn't work on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 08:52:07 PM »
Well, that can't be because it is developed and compiled on Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS both 32 and 64 bit versions. I just installed Kubuntu 16.04 on another HDD and downloaded PulsarLua and guess what - it works without any error. By the way "it doesn't work" is not a helpful error description.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 06:09:08 PM by Cybermonkey »

Tomaaz

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 09:08:44 PM »
./pulsarlua mandelbrot.lua
An unhandled exception occurred at $00007F5041E7E459:
  $00007F5041E7E459

The system is PeppermintOS 7 based on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64 bit. I try a lot of software and have never had problems with anything that works on Ubuntu. The problem looks very similar to the one I had on Sparky and we have agreed that it was FreePascal related, so...

EDIT And, please, do not explain me how things work on Linux. Every week I install something (either from .deb packages or from source), chase dependencies etc., but this?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 09:15:21 PM by Tomaaz »

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 06:20:36 PM »
No offense here, I didn't read the first part which is 8 months old ... anyway, i can't test all systems. My systems are a Ubuntu Mate 16.04.1 64 Bit, a Xubuntu (which replaced Kubuntu) 16.04.1 32 Bit, Windows Home 64 Bit - all on AMD FX 6100 and a Windows Pro 64 Bit on Intel Celereon N2940. So these are my test operating systems and as long as PulsarLua works, well, what should I do?  It is not exactly FreePascal related but the SDL2 libraries for compiling, IMHO.

Just to let you know: I tried to install ChaletOS and the installer always crashed. Xubuntu was installed fine. So much for Ubuntu based distributions which are always behaving the same ... ;)

Tomaaz

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 07:37:45 PM »
I just wanted to report a problem. ;) On the same system FreeBASIC version works fine. I can understand the situation with Sparky, because it's a rolling release based on Debian. But a system based on Ubuntu LTS shouldn't be that different than Ubuntu LTS itself. Or, maybe I'm wrong... Well, the fact is that it doesn't work on Peppermint OS 7.  :(

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 08:00:13 PM »
So would you mind testing the attached 64 bit binaries? Does they work? If not, what's the terminal output?
(BTW, it's the all famous voronoi spiral gem  ;))

Tomaaz

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 09:46:02 AM »
FreeBASIC version works. With FreePascal this is what I get:
tomek@tomek-laptop ~/Downloads/voronoi $ ./voronoi-fbc
tomek@tomek-laptop ~/Downloads/voronoi $ ./voronoi-fpc
An unhandled exception occurred at $00007F1D8EA15459:
  $00007F1D8EA15459

Looks familiar...

EDIT Well, I'm gonna stick with FreeBASIC version.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 05:17:40 PM by Tomaaz »