Author Topic: Logic BASIC  (Read 14499 times)

ScriptBasic

Re: Logic BASIC
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2016, 10:51:55 PM »
That's not BASIC. I would rather invest my time learning JavaScript.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 11:19:01 PM by John »

Richly

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2016, 11:04:04 PM »
That's not BASIC.

No, it's Basic  ;D

B+

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2016, 11:22:45 PM »
Well C is definitely not Basic or BASIC, so comparing to that for contrast? doesn't make a great argument.

But seeing a GUI example in Logic Basic would be cool.  8)

I'd like to compare with JB and what I remember from early versions of VB, two very different approaches!

Richly

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2016, 11:29:34 PM »
Well C is definitely not Basic or BASIC, so comparing to that for contrast? doesn't make a great argument.

But seeing a GUI example in Logic Basic would be cool.  8)

I'd like to compare with JB and what I remember from early versions of VB, two very different approaches!

True, that was me just indulging myself since I'm learning C  ;D

Tomaaz

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2016, 11:48:16 PM »
This is an area that Python fails eg, the amount of work it takes to draw a box on the screen or get a key press or mouse click from the user.

Rectangle with processing.py:

Code: [Select]
rect(30, 20, 55, 55)
Mouse click from the user with processing.py:

def mouseclicked():
    your code here

Rectangle with graphics.py:

from graphics import *
win = GraphWin()
rect = Rectangle(Point(10, 10), Point(30, 30))
rect.draw(win)

Mouse click with graphics.py:
p = win.getMouse()
The amount of work you need to do to draw a box with processing.py (rect(30, 20, 55, 55)) is really overwhelming. And to get mouse click with graphics.py (p = win.getMouse()) is extremely complicated. I really think it's time to stop spreading this nonsense. If you're to lazy to try then say you're to lazy to try. If you're not able to learn anything new, say you're not able to learn anything new. Don't blame the language that is widely used by 10 years old kids. That's silly.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 11:51:58 PM by Tomaaz »

ScriptBasic

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2016, 12:00:31 AM »

You should have a look at C BASIC if you think C isn't BASIC like.

B+

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2016, 03:35:54 AM »
This is an area that Python fails eg, the amount of work it takes to draw a box on the screen or get a key press or mouse click from the user.

Rectangle with processing.py:

rect(30, 20, 55, 55)
Mouse click from the user with processing.py:

def mouseclicked():
    your code here

Rectangle with graphics.py:

from graphics import *
win = GraphWin()
rect = Rectangle(Point(10, 10), Point(30, 30))
rect.draw(win)

Mouse click with graphics.py:
p = win.getMouse()
The amount of work you need to do to draw a box with processing.py (rect(30, 20, 55, 55)) is really overwhelming. And to get mouse click with graphics.py (p = win.getMouse()) is extremely complicated. I really think it's time to stop spreading this nonsense. If you're to lazy to try then say you're to lazy to try. If you're not able to learn anything new, say you're not able to learn anything new. Don't blame the language that is widely used by 10 years old kids. That's silly.

I wouldn't call it lazy or failing to learn, I'd call it getting hung up by dam details.

Tomaaz

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2016, 08:39:33 AM »
I wouldn't call it lazy or failing to learn, I'd call it getting hung up by dam details.

Do you mean this strange numbers in rect(30, 20, 55, 55);D Seriously, can drawing a rectangle on screen be possibly done in a simpler way?

Aurel

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2016, 08:48:29 AM »
. I really think it's time to stop spreading this nonsense.
:o
Don't blame the language that is widely used by 10 years old kids
..and this is real nonsense   ;D
where ? in Poland maybe?
bravo tomek ! bravo...! :D
this topic become really funny  :)

everyone normal know that python cann't replace BASIC  ;)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 09:02:48 AM by Aurel »

Tomaaz

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2016, 03:24:24 PM »
where ? in Poland maybe?

Not exactly, but I'm gonna give you a hint - https://www.raspberrypi.org/;)

everyone normal know that python cann't replace BASIC  ;)

I have a very bad news for you. It already has.  ;D

Aurel

« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2016, 03:51:33 PM »
ahh yes ..old story of course on linux but on windows
i doubt very ,very much  :)
my son last school year learn qbasic in Informatics
and this year he say that they will learn VB.net.
in high school students learn C#,C/C++ and Java. 

by the way I have tried to run one ,let say on first look good
circuit simulator written in python( i use WinPython 2.7) and nothing
then i found that this crap not work on windows  >:(
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 04:02:30 PM by Aurel »

B+

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2016, 04:22:40 PM »

Do you mean this strange numbers in rect(30, 20, 55, 55);D Seriously, can drawing a rectangle on screen be possibly done in a simpler way?

Drawing the rectangle is nothing but getting the code that can draw the rectangle and putting it in the correct place and running it all under the correct conditions is not so simple. Are 55, 55 width, height or the opposite corner to 30, 20, just a little details, that are simple to lookup once you figure out how to navigate the docs, access to which is also not built in.

It is different with kids starting with Python as first language and learning Python on top of several versions of Basic.

Tomaaz

« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2016, 05:13:15 PM »
Drawing the rectangle is nothing but getting the code that can draw the rectangle and putting it in the correct place and running it all under the correct conditions is not so simple.

It's as simple as in BASIC.

Are 55, 55 width, height or the opposite corner to 30, 20, just a little details, that are simple to lookup once you figure out how to navigate the docs, access to which is also not built in.

Are you ready to take any effort to learn new things or everything needs to be build-in and explained the way suitable for a ten year old kid? How difficult is to go to py.processing.org and find revelant information? Or simply try the code and learn from the results? I think we all should be prepared for a bit of digging in the documentation etc.;)  IMO, it's easier to find something related to Python than, let's say, FreeBASIC.

It is different with kids starting with Python as first language and learning Python on top of several versions of Basic.

That would work the opposite way, too, so saying that "Python has failed" to be beginner friendly is a bit unfair.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 05:19:58 PM by Tomaaz »

B+

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2016, 08:00:40 PM »

I guess what I would particularly like to see is a graphics example. For me, that is true test of a Basic for Beginners. This is an area that Python fails eg, the amount of work it takes to draw a box on the screen or get a key press or mouse click from the user.

I don't know about FreeBasic and I don't know of any other Basic that can do this straight out of the box:
print "Hello"
rect 20, 30 step 55,55, 12 filled

So pretty much all Basic's fail this personal criteria that I myself have for Basic as a Beginner's language. Python defenders don't have to take it personally.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 08:09:12 PM by B+ »

ScriptBasic

« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2016, 08:34:43 PM »
If you want a BASIC that does everything you want under Window, do what the majority of BASIC programmers do and use VB.NET. With .NET open source,  you may be able to run the executables on Linux someday.-
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 08:40:31 PM by John »