Author Topic: Linux User  (Read 11817 times)

ZXDunny

Re: Linux User
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2018, 09:25:43 AM »
Linux and Apple have ditched 32bit, yes. I personally have no 32bit machines or OS's in the house any longer and the outfit I work for no longer targets 32bit Windows as the larger memory addressing means our users are no longer limited.

32bit is going away fast, I'm afraid.

Aurel

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2018, 11:41:53 AM »
Yes..
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 05:57:06 AM by Aurel »

ScriptBasic

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2018, 02:16:06 AM »
Windows 32 bit is supported as a WoW layer on 64 bit Windows.

Linux uses a set of 32 bit libs which allows gcc to cross compile 32 or 64 bit executables.

I run Windows 32 bit versions XP, 7 and 10 as VirtualBox VMs on my 64 bit Linux laptop. I still have a Windows 7 64 bit dedicated partition on my old laptop.

ZXDunny

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2018, 10:35:54 AM »
Yes..
so what mean that Spec Bas for windows need 64bit windows
i think that you can execute any 32bit app on 64bit windows machine
right?

Yes, you can. SpecBAS (for official releases) comes in 32bit and 64bit versions, but the 64bit version is a lot faster, for obvious reasons.

Tomaaz

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2018, 08:47:11 PM »
Johnno, have a look at LOVE. Yoy write code once and it runs on Windows, Linux and Android. You can configure Geany to work with it and there is an appimage for 64-bit Linux distros, so you don't have to compile and configure anything or worry about dependencies. If you want I can help you configure Geany to work with it.

johnno56

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2018, 10:10:31 PM »
Tomaaz,

Thank you for the suggestion. I have had Love2D installed for quite some time. I have been working my way through tutorials and find it quite impressive. Lua is something that will take me a while to get used to. The structure is quite nice and is ok for smaller programs. But with larger programs it gets a little confusing... for me any way... The one thing I am not crazy about are the looonnnggg love2D reserved words... I know, they can be shortened... but still...

Again, thank you for the suggestion. Much appreciated.

J

Tomaaz

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2019, 10:21:08 PM »
Most mainstream Linux distros have already discontinued 32 bit versions of the OS.

Linux and Apple have ditched 32bit, yes.

32bit is going away fast, I'm afraid.

You can still download 32-bit versions of Debian, Buntus (Lubuntu, Xubuntu), Mint, Fedora, Slackware. I agree that support for 32-bit is going to disappear eventually, but it hasn't happened yet. I know - I should have replied several months ago, but better late than never. ;)