Author Topic: Release of EGSL 1.6.0  (Read 9796 times)

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
Release of EGSL 1.6.0
« on: December 30, 2012, 10:08:36 PM »
Hi guys, the waiting has really an end: this evening I uploaded the Windows 32 bit binary and the source code of EGSL 1.6.0. Binary versions for other operating systems will follow soon. Please be aware that EGSL uses now Lua 5.2 on Windows and Linux, MacOS and Haiku will stay to Lua 5.1 since there are no development libraries for the current version, yet. (If you compile egsl yourself you can just add a . to {DEFINE lua52} in the source of egsl.pas and Lua5.1 will be used.)
The Windows DLLs and keywords.txt download were also updated. A bunch of new examples and monofonts will follow the next days.
I am using a new installer on Windows so please report any irregularities.

Changelog
1.6.0 - 2012-12-30
   - EGSL uses now Lua 5.2.x on Windows and Linux
   - fixed bug in IDE Save as... menu
   - IDE for MacOS X
   - added sdlmonofonts functions
   - rectangle() and fillrectangle() added which work slightly different from box() and fillbox()
   - pie() and fillpie()
   - round(), floor(), ceil(), int() added or changed

Download as usual on: http://www.egsl.retrogamecoding.org//pages/downloads.php
(Please visit the site the next few days for further downloads ... EGSL 1.5.3 will vanish little by little ...)

kevin

Re: Release of EGSL 1.6.0
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 07:00:12 AM »
Thanks Cybermonkey...no issues with installation on WinXP SP3 from what I can see......

cvirus

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 11:23:38 AM »
Works nice both installer and make.exe, Windows Seven Pro 32 bits.

Tomaaz

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 05:02:39 PM »
Great news! But... Do you still need help with EGSL documentation? Please say "yes", "no" or something like "fu... off, Tomaaz", so I would know for sure. Thanx!

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 11:47:25 AM »
Great news! But... Do you still need help with EGSL documentation? Please say "yes", "no" or something like "fu... off, Tomaaz", so I would know for sure. Thanx!

For an answer you can visit the FAQs section: http://www.egsl.retrogamecoding.org//pages/faqs.php
The question about the documentation is still valid, so
Volunteers are always welcome.

Tomaaz

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 07:22:55 PM »
Well... I volunteered, made an example of documentation in a new format and asked if you want me (it was me who was going to do it) to move the old documentation to the new format. I didn't get any answer. No "yes", "no", "maybe later"... Nothing. So, I assumed you didn't want to move the documentation to the new format and asked you (via PM) what should I do with updated documentation in an old format. For the second time I was totally ignored and didn't get any answer. If you call it "Volunteers are always welcome" then I don't have any more questions...

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 07:55:16 PM »
Please calm down. It was christmas time and I just got time to realise that you sent me a PM. I had not time to read it, yet. The other thing was that I first wanted to copy the other CMS to my server to test if it works fine and if it can be installed easily. Don't forget I am a human and I am not 24/7 online ... (not to mention that I wanted to release EGSL 1.6.0 in Dec. 2012). So, please, wait a little ...

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 08:29:36 AM »
Yesterday evening I uploaded the 32bit Linux version and a bugfixed source archive. So, if you already downloaded the source, please download again. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 09:17:39 PM »
Haiku port uploaded. Next is MacOS which will require some time ...

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 03:33:44 PM »
At last!
I got all binaries uploaded, so the last port (MacOS X) is now active, too.
Lelldorin from the Haiku usergroup wants to make a complete package with IDE for Haiku. If he will be finished, the download will also be available from the EGSL site.
Now spread the word... BTW, I am working hard on the documentation.  ;)

Tomaaz

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 03:32:50 PM »
I think it's a good idea to keep EGSL 1.5.3 on the download page with an information that it uses an older version of Lua. I don't have Lua 5.2 on my Mint (and in its repository) and don't know if it's possible to get it, because I'm happy with 1.5.3 version and not planning to waste my time for looking for the solution. Also, I can't compile anything with Pascal and a new version of egslengine. I got a message about unreachable code in egslengine.

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 03:42:59 PM »
The message with unreachable code was always the fact. It shouldn't prevent FPC from compiling EGSL. It's just a warning.
egslengine.pas(2259,9) Warning: unreachable code
Maybe you can post the complete output from FPC.
I thought Mint uses the same software as Ubuntu. On Lubuntu 12.10 (and even older ubuntus) there can Lua52 be installed via package manager.

Tomaaz

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 06:03:13 PM »
The message with unreachable code was always the fact. It shouldn't prevent FPC from compiling EGSL. It's just a warning.

Strange... I tried again and it woks now ant there is no message about unreachable code. ??? I think the problem was the location of the files in my system, but how is it possible that now it works even without that message?

I thought Mint uses the same software as Ubuntu. On Lubuntu 12.10 (and even older ubuntus) there can Lua52 be installed via package manager.

I'm using rather old Mint 9 that is based on Ubuntu 10.04. It's a long term support distro (that's why I chose it) and I still get many updates, but there is no package with Lua 5.2. It's possible that more people around are still using older distros, so why not to keep the version of EGSL that uses Lua 5.1? Just my opinion.

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 06:56:41 PM »
I'm using rather old Mint 9 that is based on Ubuntu 10.04. It's a long term support distro (that's why I chose it) and I still get many updates, but there is no package with Lua 5.2. It's possible that more people around are still using older distros, so why not to keep the version of EGSL that uses Lua 5.1? Just my opinion.
Ok, I see. The problem is that the old version has no monofont and particles support. So making games/demos using the new features won't work with EGSL 1.5.3 Maybe I can compile a Linux 32 bit version of EGSL 1.6.0 with Lua 5.1.

Tomaaz

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 07:23:30 PM »
You're right. It doesn't make sense if most of (all?) new examples and games won't run on EGSL 1.5.3. So, the only option is EGSL 1.6.0 with Lua 5.1. But remember that other old distros users may be smarter than I am and be able to install Lua 5.2 without any problems, so maybe it's not necessary to waste your time for that version. ;)