Author Topic: Top 5 BASIC Languages  (Read 4035 times)

ScriptBasic

Top 5 BASIC Languages
« on: August 30, 2018, 10:36:08 PM »
Tomaaz declared that there are only 5 BASIC languages worth using. Here is my list.

• VB6
  • Script BASIC
  • Oxygen Basic
  • BaCon

If you're a lazy programmer and could care less what's under the covers, Script BASIC would be your best choice to get what you want done accomplished.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 06:44:08 AM by John »

B+

Re: Top 5 BASIC Languages
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 11:41:07 PM »
Is VB6 available now? last I heard you had to get pirate version or reuse someone else.

ScriptBasic

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 12:05:52 AM »
Is VB6 available now? last I heard you had to get pirate version or reuse someone else.

If you're not fortunate enough to have a licenced copy, it's readily available on the net. As is QB 4.5, 7.1 and VBDOS.

Aurel

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 05:42:44 AM »
My list of (for Windows)TOP FIVE is:
If you are lazy programmer

1.Oxygen Basic
2.Pure Basic
3.Visual Basic
4.Free Basic

Tomaaz

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 07:45:47 AM »
Tomaaz declared that there are only 5 BASIC languages worth using.

Never said anything like that. I don't follow what's going on in BASIC world anymore and simply don't know what's dead, what's abandonned, what's in development and what's new. There may be 10 or 50 BASICs worth mentioning. I just don't know them.

B+

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 12:44:56 PM »
It probably came from reply #3 in Phix thread when you (Tomaaz) were declining John's offer :
Quote from: John on 30. August 2018, 18:52:09
I'm still looking for someone to take the lead with the wiki. Tomaaz?

Sorry, but I'm not that much into BASIC anymore and don't really know what's going on. On my list it would be probably max. 5 compilers/interpreters/translators. For this number there is no point to create wiki.

Tomaaz

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 01:04:54 PM »
I know where it came from, but if you read that post you will clearly see what I said.

AlyssonR

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 08:45:13 AM »
My list....

• VB6 - most jobs end up being done here
  • ScriptBasic - Brilliant for glue and back-end applications
  • VBA/VBScript - for all of those important little things
  • QB64 - I still have legacy QuickBasic scripts that I occasionally need to run
  • ? - Whatever fits at the time

I would have loved the Jabaco and/or MONO projects to have gone on to completion, since that would have resulted in a cross-platform VB6-like development environment.

C'est la vie.

Richly

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2018, 11:09:30 PM »
No surprises...

• SpecBAS
  • BBC BASIC for Windows / BBC BASIC SDL

I like these because they are extensions of the BASICs that I grew up with. I'm a hobbyist with limited time to indulge in my precious hobby playing in the sandpit and so they suit my needs just fine...but they are also very capable in the right hands.

I also like to use

• Liberty BASIC / LB Booster

Easy to use GUI...and I also like...

• Decimal BASIC
  • True BASIC

Clean ANSI BASIC syntax...

ZXDunny

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2018, 12:48:12 AM »
I use SpecBAS the most, for obvious reasons. Occasionally for fun I'll dip back into Sinclair BASIC via emulation, usually for a coding challenge or the like. But I don't use any other BASICs, no.

Tomaaz

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2018, 08:37:45 AM »
My list

1. BaCon

B+

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2018, 03:27:22 PM »
1. QB64 - SmallBASIC's big brother, the GUI called InForm being actively developed by Fellippe Heitor is improving by leaps and bounds and QB64 is treasure island of goodies for graphics. 3 guys, not one, keeping development alive. IDE has old syntax checking with that reassuring OK and another treasure trove of capabilities I am still learning.

2. SmallBASIC - can still do stuff: at, like, for x in {"+=", "-="}  and with arrays that QB64 doesn't have == built-in. Variant types, decent graphics for interpreter. Chris is still actively developing, I think, but it is part time hobby for him, don't think the passion is still there. IDE is built in off right mouse clicks and takes serious devotion to get use to, nice for quick little programs.

3. JB - has well established GUI, though not as easy to (re)set properties as VBDOS of 20+ years ago and JB GUI has nice Editor control and can do multi-windows. Has arbitrary long integers allowing arbitrary long math if it stays out of floats. Carl finally got around to updating decades old version unfortunately got it wrong when putting storage files in difficult to access ROAMING folder, IMHO it expects beginners to be too computer savvy.

All 3 of the above are pretty good running old QB 4.5 programs, so this is from old fogey hobbiest perspective.

All 3 of the above will ruin your professional programming career because you will use your time having fun instead of jumping through hoops for monetary renumeration.  ;D

« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 03:35:26 PM by B+ »

ScriptBasic

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2018, 03:54:03 PM »
That would make great content for the  All BASIC wiki. I wish you would  reconsider as an editor and contribute what you can.

Aurel

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2018, 04:09:23 PM »
I use what i want ,,,beeeep.

1.Oxygen Basic - just because is best for me  ;D - i still work on code editor (from time to time) ::)
2.EBasic/Creative Basic - abandoned but still work for 32 bit
3.Pure basic old 4.50 just to test some things and nothing more
4.FreeBasic - really very rare ...why i? ..i don't like it to much even is very good.
5. BaCon - ehh i don't use linux for programming and i doubt that BaCon will work on wifi-slax
but maybe if i decide to try Luns-LinsBanfg ...  >:( what a crappy name )i will try it if work on that distro.
6.LBB - just to try JB/LB programs.. thanks to Richard for this translator.
7.QB64 - oh man ...i never liked this one simply..when i see 300MB for download i hate it.
even is let say OK!
8.beeeeep  ;D

B+

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2018, 04:37:46 PM »
Aurel, may I ask what your first BASIC(s) were? and how old were you?

I get the feeling it wasn't the GW, QB route, neither the BBC,... Sinclair?

I can see FreeBasic fans starting the GW, QB route but I bet more a mix of others (than QB64 fans).

How about Pure Basic or Oxygen Basic fans? from what oldie background did they start?

Oh the Unix Basic's at colleges, that's my first glimpse before home PC's.