Author Topic: What languages do you like to use for development?  (Read 2344 times)

Richly

What languages do you like to use for development?
« on: September 09, 2018, 08:30:39 PM »
One for the developers amongst us.

I know its horses for courses, the right tool for the job...but what is your favourite language for development; the language that you like to have the opportunity to use for development and why?

ScriptBasic

Re: What languages do you like to use for development?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 08:58:47 PM »
For hobbies or to generate income?

Richly

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 09:18:39 PM »
For hobbies or to generate income?

An answer for each of those categories where applicable would be interesting.

ScriptBasic

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 09:35:18 PM »
For $ I use Script BASIC as my 'glue' tool and it depends what I'm integrating with as the front end I would use.

If I had time for hobby programming, I would use NaaLaa.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 09:44:20 PM by John »

ZXDunny

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 09:37:13 PM »
For fun, obviously SpecBAS and BASin. For profit, it's whatever I need to use. Predominantly Delphi (as that's the language my work project is written in) but occasionally C++ or Objective C. Probably going to be dipping into some Python for work too, soon.

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 05:37:13 PM »
At the moment only for hobby programming: Pascal, Lua, FreeBASIC, sometimes C. I will probably go deeper into Python and VB.NET soon.

Tomaaz

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 05:37:34 PM »
I'm not a BASIC compiler/interpreter developer, but I used to be a web developer. It didn't last long, because I wasn't really good at it.  ;D I could possibly be a front-end web developer, but server side is not for me. I did it for money and for fun. Later on I put together websites for BaCon and NaaLaa, but it was more about using and customising free templates.

For fun, I like to discover and learn new things.

ScriptBasic

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 07:24:10 PM »
Script BASIC could sure use a web site. I was going to do something in Wordpress with Elegant Themes.

Tomaaz

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 09:44:32 PM »
If you want to have an option to easily edit the content of the website then CMS is definitely the best choice and WordPress is the most popular one and one of the easiest to use. What I've used for BaCon and NaaLaa were static templates (no sever-side scripting involved). Updating sites like that takes more time and effort and I wouldn't recommend this solution to anyone who changes the site content quite often. Also, a basic knowledge of HTML, CSS and, possibly, FTP is needed.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 09:46:50 PM by Tomaaz »