« on: September 12, 2018, 06:05:17 PM »
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 10:29:53 PM by Aurel »

Tomaaz

Re: Is there ....
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 06:13:39 PM »
....any BASIC dialect or maybe programming language that all members here
use for programming

No.

or we must create one that everybody here know how to use it?

No, we don't.

Aurel

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 06:16:15 PM »
O
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 10:30:04 PM by Aurel »

Tomaaz

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 06:19:12 PM »
Aurel, you can create a new BASIC dialect, but how are you going to force everybody here to use it?  ???  And if you want to ask everyone for suggestions and opinion then good luck with finding consensus.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 06:21:49 PM by Tomaaz »

Aurel

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 06:35:46 PM »
n
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 10:30:16 PM by Aurel »

Tomaaz

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 08:35:11 PM »
Good luck with that, too.  ;D John is gonna say that ScriptBasic is an obvious choice. Dunny that the only BASIC he's interested in is SpecBas. I would like to suggest BaCon, but, since the most popular OS here is Windows, it wouldn't make any sense. B+ would go for SmallBasic or QB64 and Galileo for Yabasic. ;D

Tomaaz

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 08:43:31 PM »
You would suggest Oxygen Basic, but it's Windows only, so I'm gonna say "no". Cybermonkey could accept FreeBASIC, but John wouldn't be happy about it plus on Linux it's not as easy to use as on Windows. There is also n00b with RCBasic and some NaaLaa fans, but for anyone who likes to do more than just 2D graphics both are a poor choice. Peter is focused on BaCon and he's not gonna suddenly start to code in FreeBASIC or NaaLaa. To be honest - if we wanted to choose one language to code with, the one that has a chance to be accepted by the biggest number of users would be... Python. But this is not an option for you!  ;D
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 08:50:58 PM by Tomaaz »

ScriptBasic

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 09:25:00 PM »
Script BASIC is the hammer in my development tool box. VB6 is a other Windows RAD tool I use.

I'm a believer of using the right tool for the job. Too many people get hung up on only using one language for everything.

Richly

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 09:39:40 PM »
I'm open minded about other BASICs - perhaps because I'm less informed than most people here and have not developed strong opinions or knowledge on what I should be looking for.

SpecBAS and BBC BASIC for Windows / SDL are the ones that I mainly play around with because they are extensions of the BASICs that I grew up with and are most familiar to me and suit my limited needs.

I'm also interested in C, which I occasionally find time to play with and would be interested in learning more about C BASIC.

ScriptBasic

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 10:04:38 PM »
I'm also interested in C, which I occasionally find time to play with and would be interested in learning more about C BASIC.

You could create an extension module for Script BASIC using C BASIC. The Bitbucket C BASIC repository has a few examples. I have standardized on using C BASIC for all new extension modules I create. C BASIC is really an extension to Script BASIC's extensive use of macros and the C pre-processor.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 10:10:03 PM by John »

ZXDunny

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2018, 11:43:52 PM »
If I'm gonna play around in BASIC, then it's SpecBAS naturally. If I'm researching other BASICs looking for features to steal or improve upon, then yes - I'll use those other BASICs. And I have, pretty much all of them (aside from Sord M5 BASIC G, for which I can find no manual online).

BUT, if I'm gonna go do a job rather than playing around, then I'll drop into Delphi for Windows RAD development due to the pure prototyping speed or possibly C++ or Objective-C for the excellent compiler.

BASIC is for fun, not work.

ScriptBasic

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2018, 03:06:11 AM »
BASIC is for fun, not work.

Script BASIC has a few commercial users that would strongly disagree.

I use SB all the time for integration tasks.

There is still a huge install base of VB6 code running businesses.

I agree your retro BASIC is for fun.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 03:40:34 AM by John »

n00b

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2018, 06:05:39 AM »
I should come by here more often. There is always some interesting topics. I actually use VBA at work all day (I absolutely hate it). I doubt anyone BASIC dialect will ever be the defacto standard. Even the most basic example, PRINT "HELLO WORLD", is not syntax compatible across every dialect.

ZXDunny

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2018, 08:51:37 AM »
Real BASIC has line numbers.

ScriptBasic

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2018, 11:50:41 AM »
Real BASIC has line numbers.

Real BASIC is one statement per line.

Line numbers are optional.