Author Topic: I  (Read 8160 times)

Tomaaz

Re: Is there ....
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2018, 12:56:18 PM »
VB.net is not BASIC. The same way C# (or Objective C) is not C and JavaScript is not Java.  Do you know that "basic" is a popular word in English and it not necesarily means "BASIC"?

ScriptBasic

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2018, 02:37:40 PM »
Script BASIC can emulate minimal BASIC with line numbers as well. It can also do COM/OLE automation. In my mind that is what a BASIC is suppose to be about.

ZXDunny

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2018, 04:12:48 PM »
Script BASIC can emulate minimal BASIC with line numbers as well. It can also do COM/OLE automation. In my mind that is what a BASIC is suppose to be about.

ScriptBASIC can't do GO TO a*20 though, can it?

Aurel

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2018, 07:29:13 PM »
If you or everybody else on this planet don't know what is OOP
look at  Oxygen Basic  OOP examples and if you have grain of salt in brain you will figure what is
all so called magic behind OOP which i call UDT
and then who is here who cam start to patronise me me that i don't know what is what?

Aurel

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2018, 07:34:30 PM »
..and to continue
if you think that BASIC is worst then any other language is just a
idiotic thinking or poor mind resolving..
all this so called ultra fancy languages are just piece of crap
packed into different form and depend all of them of libs written in C
so are basically wrappers for C.
yeah
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 08:29:03 PM by Aurel »

ScriptBasic

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2018, 07:47:47 PM »
GOTO expression isn't a minimal BASIC feature.

There is nothing I have to prove with the merit of Script BASIC. It speaks for itself.

ZXDunny

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2018, 10:19:57 PM »
GOTO expression isn't a minimal BASIC feature.

Neither the ECMA nor the Dartmouth spec prohibits an expression, and allowing the use of one does not preclude the use of purely numeric line numbers. It would seem that any BASIC that allows the user to make use of line numbers would probably allow GO TO <expression> in the same way that the old 8-bits BASICs did‚ rather than kind-of-sorta-allowing their use but not really.

ScriptBasic

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2018, 12:28:05 AM »
In Script BASIC, line numbers are a special type of label. The numbering order or every line use is at the programmers discretion.

Code: [Select]
2 LET it = TRUE or FALSE
1 PRINT NOT it, "\n"

jrs@jrs-laptop:~/sb/examples/test$ scriba linenum.sb
jrs@jrs-laptop:~/sb/examples/test$

Some people still like riding horses even though we have moved on to cars.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 04:49:37 AM by John »

ZXDunny

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2018, 06:48:36 PM »
In Script BASIC, line numbers are a special type of label. The numbering order or every line use is at the programmers discretion.

Code: [Select]
2 LET it = TRUE or FALSE
1 PRINT NOT it, "\n"

jrs@jrs-laptop:~/sb/examples/test$ scriba linenum.sb
jrs@jrs-laptop:~/sb/examples/test$

I get that it's at least an attempt to let the user use line numbers, but allowing them to be out of sequence (both in execution and in the listing) seems to be... well, not very beginner friendly, no?

I mean, part of the charm of BASIC is that as a beginner it's immediately obvious where your program starts (the lowest line number, the first in the list) and which order the commands will be executed in - unlike C, Pascal et al where the initial starting point might not even be visible on the screen.

Some people still like riding horses even though we have moved on to cars.

Indeed they do, and that's an excellent analogy - people race both horses and cars, but if absolute speed is your goal you're not going to choose the horse over the car. Neither should anyone who is serious about their code choose BASIC for the job. It's for teaching beginners the absolute fundamentals of how a CPU executes code, not for production work.

ScriptBasic

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2018, 07:07:40 PM »
I don't think just because the language uses a BASIC style of syntax that it should be excluded from being used in non-hobby projects. Script BASIC and Oxygen Basic are two good examples of commercial quality BASIC languages.

Who would have guessed that a browser scripting language would be used for commercial servers? (JavaScript)

I get that it's at least an attempt to let the user use line numbers, but allowing them to be out of sequence (both in execution and in the listing) seems to be... well, not very beginner friendly, no?

I like it the way it is because I can import line number based segments of code not caring what range or order the line labels are in.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 08:20:29 PM by John »