Author Topic: Geany configuration file (dedicated to Aurel).  (Read 3278 times)

Tomaaz

Geany configuration file (dedicated to Aurel).
« on: October 03, 2018, 08:07:04 PM »
The file is attached. Just replace filetypes.freebasic with it. On Linux place it in the /home/[your user name]/.config/geany/filedefs directory. I don't remember what to do on Windows. You may need to set build commands manually, depending on where you keep sbasic and sbasicg files. In the attached file, the run button is set to work with command line version and the compile button to work with SDL version. Remember that to run a specific file the SDL version needs to be used with the -r option.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 08:17:33 PM by Tomaaz »

n00b

Re: Geany configuration file (dedicated to Aurel).
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 01:23:14 AM »
This is actually the same method I used to add suuport for  rcbasic in geany. As long as you have the commands set in filetype config file it will work. There is a few things you might want to be aware of. First, if the compiler/interpreter are not installed in the PATH environment variable you will need to add it manually or have the absolute path to them in your config file. Next, this is not a big deal but geany parses based on explicit declarations. That means if you don't use DIM to declare a variable it will not appear in the symbols tab on the project explorer panel. If I am saying stuff you already knew then feel free to ignore this. I just try to share knowledge whenever I can.

Tomaaz

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 07:43:21 AM »
Also, this method is not for people who use FreeBasic. In this case you need to create a separate file for SmallBasic.

Aurel

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 10:42:35 AM »
(dedicated to Aurel)

to me  :o
what i have with this Geany configuration ?
...and i expected little bit more than just config for that editor  ::)

Tomaaz

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 11:28:28 AM »
Aurel,

1. You hate Geany.
2. You say that the three things I'm good at are copy/paste programming, vodka drinking and making configuration files for Geany.

Was it that difficult to get it? Do you know what "irony" is?  ;D

Aurel

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 01:06:53 PM »
Do you know what "irony" is?

No i don't know.  ;D
Ahh ..ok if is just another vodka session then maybe... ::)

Tomaaz

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 02:38:25 PM »
Even if I liked vodka I couldn't be drinking at the moment, because I'm at work. 

Aurel, try Geany once again. It's a brilliant editor. There are only two programs I have always installed on all my computers and Geany is one of them (the other one is Gimp). For me, there is absolutely no replacement for these two.

Aurel

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 05:12:05 PM »
Aurel, try Geany once again. It's a brilliant editor. There are only two programs I have always installed on all my computers and Geany is one of them (the other one is Gimp). For me, there is absolutely no replacement for these two.

Tomaaz
Thanks BUT No...
And that is a main difference between you and me :
I also install my two favorite and they are :
PainNet and FastStone and from editors scintilla based...my own or someone else.

Tomaaz

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 05:17:04 PM »
... and from editors scintilla based...my own or someone else.

Geany is Scintilla based. You like someone else's Scintilla based editors, so... ::)

B+

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 12:26:25 PM »
Having Tabbed Files and a Fully Functional Windows File Dialog are 2 very big pluses for running a Basic from a popular programming editor. I have used Notepad++ with QB64 for those reasons but for me, I miss the Quick Help available from the IDE designed for the Basic in question.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone is working on that for editors or if it is already available for major PL's.