Basicprogramming(.org) > General questions and discussions

Yabasic

<< < (2/2)

Tomaaz:

--- Quote from: Richey on October 12, 2018, 11:15:02 PM ---Why was / is Yabasic so popular amongst BASIC enthusiasts?

--- End quote ---

I would say "was". I don't think it's that popular anymore.

Richly:

--- Quote from: Tomaaz on October 13, 2018, 05:45:13 PM ---
--- Quote from: Richey on October 12, 2018, 11:15:02 PM ---Why was / is Yabasic so popular amongst BASIC enthusiasts?

--- End quote ---

I would say "was". I don't think it's that popular anymore.

--- End quote ---

Tomaaz, didn't you use Yabasic at one time? Why did you stop, or do you still dabble every now and again?

Tomaaz:

--- Quote from: Richey on October 13, 2018, 10:26:54 PM ---Tomaaz, didn't you use Yabasic at one time? Why did you stop, or do you still dabble every now and again?

--- End quote ---

I did, but after some time it wasn't enough for me:

* no buffering for smooth animations
* no support for any image format
* no access to directories, file information etc.
* no advanced string and array processing

jj2007:

--- Quote from: B+ on October 13, 2018, 01:57:18 PM ---So the same goes for required typing of variables by suffix or DIM
--- End quote ---

Over the years I find that the ThisIsText$ suffix is really helpful for the readability of code. The C/C++ gang find it unprofessional, and produce lots of buggy code, he he >:(

Dim is OK for arrays, but I find it annoying to dim a simple integer. OTOH it can help to avoid bugs that creep in with typos, like confusing MyVar with My_Var etc.; the old defunct GfaBasic had an excellent solution for this problem: If you typed MyVar=123, it asked if you wanted to create that variable. Sure, I want that. And if some pages further down you typed My_Var=456, it asked you again ... oops! Almost foolproof, and no Dim required.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version