Offtopic > Offtopic

2018/2019

(1/9) > >>

Tomaaz:
Every single site I visit, every podcast I listen to is trying to name the most important things that happened in 2018. Microsoft buying GitHub, IBM buying Red Hat, Spectre and Meltdown, Linux apps running on Chromebooks, Microsoft becoming a premium sponsor to The Open Source Initiative, more and more distributions and programs dropping 32bit support etc. Has anything happened in BASIC world? Is 2019 going to be a year of BASIC on desktop or the year BASIC died? The answer is rather obvious, but, at least, we can have a chat here.  ;)

n00b:
I personally think it was a good year for BASIC. We had the  c64 gain alot of success, multiple winners in syntax bombs jams that were written in BBC BASIC, and many of us dialect developers released new versions of our languages in 2018. Its not realistic for BASIC to become mainstream in a industry that is quickly moving toward standardization but it is far from dead.

Cybermonkey:

--- Quote from: n00b on January 06, 2019, 12:21:43 AM ---I personally think it was a good year for BASIC. We had the  c64 gain alot of success, multiple winners in syntax bombs jams that were written in BBC BASIC, and many of us dialect developers released new versions of our languages in 2018. Its not realistic for BASIC to become mainstream in a industry that is quickly moving toward standardization but it is far from dead.

--- End quote ---

Tomaaz:

--- Quote from: n00b on January 06, 2019, 12:21:43 AM ---I personally think it was a good year for BASIC.

--- End quote ---

For me, it was terrible. I rejoined this forum only to find it being dead. Some of the other forums look more like blogs. We used to complain about the level of activity on BP.org, but comparing to today's forums that place was extremely busy. The only BASIC that looks alive to me is BaCon. Other compilers/interpreters are either not being developed or used any more (I don't care about commercial products). The development of (not so long ago) busy and advanced projects has stopped or slowed down dramatically (QB64, OpenEuphoria, FreeBASIC). Python has been widely accepted as the language for beginners - Raspberry Pi (which I find boring and overrated) is probably the main reason for it. Several attempts to bring BASIC to Raspberry Pi have failed. The same can be said about mobile devices. Sorry guys, but it looks bad.

--- Quote from: n00b on January 06, 2019, 12:21:43 AM ---We had the  c64 gain alot of success

--- End quote ---

???

n00b:
Sorry about the C64 confusion. I was referring to the mini. It has been a pretty popular device and has been a gateway for a lot of younger tech enthusiasts to discover BASIC. As far as BASIC on the pi, I think a few dialects are on there already but they arent able to access the GPIO interfaces like python can. I know at least for freeBasic, they are still actively developing it. It has matured to a point where constant updates just are not necessary which is normal for any software. BASIC is not as widely used for the same reason Linux isn't. Every BASIC is different. But thats not necessarily a bad thing. It means more choices for the programmer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version