Author Topic: Saving work  (Read 1629 times)

B+

Saving work
« on: February 07, 2019, 06:31:43 PM »
Hi Chris,

I've been working in other Basics lately and too often I loose work in SB because I have fallen out of habit of saving before running. Is it possible to copy a file to SB folder in Roaming before running, call it LastRan.bas or something, so I can recover from the point I left off at with SB work when I forget to save.

Didn't you have a prompt to save work in SB before closing in earlier versions? I don't remember this much frustration with saving work.

chrisws

Re: Saving work
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 08:48:52 PM »
Hi Chris,

I've been working in other Basics lately and too often I loose work in SB because I have fallen out of habit of saving before running. Is it possible to copy a file to SB folder in Roaming before running, call it LastRan.bas or something, so I can recover from the point I left off at with SB work when I forget to save.

Didn't you have a prompt to save work in SB before closing in earlier versions? I don't remember this much frustration with saving work.

I see what you mean:

1. Open sbasic.exe, right click to check that Editor = ON
2. Click on program to edit
3. Make changes, press Ctrl+R
4. Press Ctrl+B to return to editor
5. Press ALT+F4 to exit
6. Warning dialog to save changes. Select cancel - (pass)
7. Make changes, press Ctrl+R
8. Press ALT+F4 to exit. Program exits and changes are lost - (fail)

Ideally it would just give the warning prompt at 8 right?

Are there any other variations like this that also fail?

Also in case you didn't know, in the editor if you select a block of text then press Ctrl+R, only the selected text is executed.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 08:55:58 PM by chrisws »

B+

Re: Saving work
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 02:36:58 AM »
Ha, now I have to analyze my habits.

Yes there is a warning message when I use the right click menu to exit the editor by clicking "back".

I have gotten in the habit of clicking the top right red X after a run, which in SB completely exits everything without warning of saving. That is when I am loosing my work because I forgot to save before run. I doubt I will break the red X habit.

In the other Basic's I use, when I click the top right x, I fall back into the editor from which I save work and exit or continue developing.