Offtopic > Offtopic

Emulators

(1/2) > >>

Cybermonkey:
Does anyone of you use them? If so, for which purpose? Nostalgia, gaming, programming, using that old business software ...
I use them mainly for programming, since I really like those classic BASIC interpreters.
At the moment I have installed on my Mint system:

* Dosbox (with GWBASIC)
* atari800 (well, guess...)
* Arnold (Amstrad CPC emulator)
* VICE (mainly Commodore 64 with Simon's BASIC)
* Yapesdl (Commodore Plus/4 with BASIC 3.5 -  it's faster than the VICE port)

ZXDunny:
Aside from actually writing them, I use the RetroPie front end in my arcade cab:

Which scratches my retrogaming itch quite nicely :)

Tomaaz:
VICE

C64 was my first computer and I never had so much fun with computers after that. Also, my knowledge about C64 was much more advanced than my knowledge about modern hardware. I knew everything about that little machine. SID, VIC, assembly, BASIC, structure of the memory... What I lacked was good programming skills. I could create basic effects, but still have no idea how all the advanced demos were made.  :)

Cybermonkey:
Yeah, so after all these years this is still a good read: https://archive.org/details/zzap64-magazine
(At the moment I read a German home computer magazine from the 1980s via archive.org - awesome!)

I don't have an arcade cab like zxdunny but I recently built a silent (because fanless) Mini ITX PC and bought a keyboard which resembles that old style typing quite well:

The case is just 19 cm high if it's standing upright ...

Aurel:
YO Dunny !

That is a real machine dude!  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version