Author Topic: Emulators  (Read 1931 times)

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
Emulators
« on: March 30, 2019, 10:10:21 AM »
Does anyone of you use them? If so, for which purpose? Nostalgia, gaming, programming, using that old business software ...
I use them mainly for programming, since I really like those classic BASIC interpreters.
At the moment I have installed on my Mint system:
  • Dosbox (with GWBASIC)
  • atari800 (well, guess...)
  • Arnold (Amstrad CPC emulator)
  • VICE (mainly Commodore 64 with Simon's BASIC)
  • Yapesdl (Commodore Plus/4 with BASIC 3.5 -  it's faster than the VICE port)

ZXDunny

Re: Emulators
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 11:58:02 AM »
Aside from actually writing them, I use the RetroPie front end in my arcade cab:

Which scratches my retrogaming itch quite nicely :)

Tomaaz

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 03:33:51 PM »
VICE

C64 was my first computer and I never had so much fun with computers after that. Also, my knowledge about C64 was much more advanced than my knowledge about modern hardware. I knew everything about that little machine. SID, VIC, assembly, BASIC, structure of the memory... What I lacked was good programming skills. I could create basic effects, but still have no idea how all the advanced demos were made.  :)

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 04:33:28 PM »
Yeah, so after all these years this is still a good read: https://archive.org/details/zzap64-magazine
(At the moment I read a German home computer magazine from the 1980s via archive.org - awesome!)

I don't have an arcade cab like zxdunny but I recently built a silent (because fanless) Mini ITX PC and bought a keyboard which resembles that old style typing quite well:

The case is just 19 cm high if it's standing upright ...

Aurel

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 06:12:04 PM »
YO Dunny !

That is a real machine dude!  :)

ZXDunny

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 11:06:24 PM »
Hey Aurel :)

It's actually just the housing, with a 1600x900 LCD screen powered by a Raspberry Pi3B with a 2TB USB HDD holding the ROM sets. And it's bloody gorgeous, especially with the CRT shader running.

Ed Davis

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 12:04:41 PM »
Does anyone of you use them? If so, for which purpose? Nostalgia, gaming, programming, using that old business software ...
I use them mainly for programming, since I really like those classic BASIC interpreters.
At the moment I have installed on my Mint system:
  • Dosbox (with GWBASIC)

My wife has no desire to learn MS Excel and Access, so...
On my wife's Windows 10 computer, we have Dosbox installed.

In Dosbox, we have MS-DOS 6.22 installed.  On top of that, we have Windows 3.1 installed.
In there, she uses Quattro Pro (old Borland spreadsheet program), FoxPro (old xbase program) and DBXL (another xbase program).  Under FoxPro she runs an old accounting system we purchased years ago - early 90's I think.

They work great!

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 07:46:46 PM »
Again the 8 bit guy shares his wisdom  ;):