Author Topic: Security  (Read 2028 times)

Richly

Security
« on: May 06, 2019, 09:00:31 PM »
My browsers are telling me that this website is not secure - why is that?

Is it something that we should be worried about?

Tomaaz

Re: Security
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 10:13:46 PM »
I'm pretty sure the reson is http. This site doesn't use secure connection which means that everything your browser is sending to it (including login and password) is unencrypted.

Technically speaking, you should be worried about it, because someone can steal your login information, but, in practice, who would be interested in doing so?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 10:17:53 PM by Tomaaz »

Richly

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 07:40:54 PM »
I see - the risk is low; is there any way the risk could be eliminated?

ZXDunny

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 08:52:57 PM »
I see - the risk is low; is there any way the risk could be eliminated?

The site needs to be upgraded to HTTPS - but that's quite a job and probably not worth the effort and/or outlay financially. Just make sure you don't use the same password for this site as on others, and you'll be fine.

Tomaaz

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 09:08:29 PM »
The site needs to be upgraded to HTTPS - but that's quite a job and probably not worth the effort and/or outlay financially.

It's not that bad anymore. Several years ago I was paying around £40 a year for a certifacate. I bought it directly from my hosting company and they helped me to configure everything. It wasn't difficult at all. So, it's all up to Cybermonkey, but I don't think he's planning to invest more money in this site.

Just make sure you don't use the same password for this site as on others, and you'll be fine.

Also, I wouldn't use the main e-mail as a login here. I'm using an alias for my secondary e-mail and if anyone starts sending me spam, I will simply delete it and replace with another one.

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 05:37:20 PM »
I recommend using this URL for visiting the forum: https://retrogamecoding.org/board/
(You'll learn that this is a secure connection.)

Tomaaz

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 07:18:12 AM »
Why I didn't know about it?  ;)

ZXDunny

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 09:16:23 AM »
Why didn't any of us know about it? :D

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 05:14:15 PM »
Because it's just since yesterday ...  ;)
Unfortunately it didn't work with forum.retrogamecoding.org.