Author Topic: Why do you care that much about BASIC part in the name of a language?  (Read 31054 times)

Aurel

Re: Why do you care that much about BASIC part in the name of a language?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2016, 05:58:22 PM »
..h
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 10:33:26 PM by Aurel »

Tomaaz

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2016, 06:04:47 PM »
..and this is also TRUE:
Why should I waste my time for Lua or Julia if I can do things faster and easier in BASIC".

OK. I understand that this is your opinion. But tell me why. Show me examples etc.

ScriptBasic

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2016, 06:07:23 PM »
The mentality ... it's like the difference between using the IUP toolkit and win api to create and manage the GUI of a program.

IUP is great and cross platform. The Windows GUI API is a crock of sh*t.

Tomaaz

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2016, 06:08:33 PM »
IUP is great and cross platform. The Windows GUI API is a crock of sh*t.

I'm pretty sure that is exactly what Marcus meant. ;)  I'm also pretty sure that everybody will agree with that. Apart from Aurel, of course. ;)

ScriptBasic

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2016, 07:17:11 PM »
and, for me, it still won't be BASIC.

I have gotten by all this confusion with simply saying I use traditional BASIC.

jj2007

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2016, 07:46:54 PM »
Tomaaz,

You are basically right 8)

The name shouldn't matter. Simplicity should. Besides the "keep it simple" philosophy, there is also an acquired common set of commands that matters for many people, including me. You may remember that I had started a "CoreBasic" thread in the defunct bp.org forum, asking to identify no more than 100 commands that are common to all Basic dialects.

Output to the console is print, not printf(), see, cout or shout or whatever. Such small aspects may sound trivial, but was würdest Du sagen, wenn ich hier statt Englisch in Deutsch schreibe. Not everybody is happy to learn a new language just because the author of a programming language believes that couting is better than printing. BASIC in the name is a reassuring message - "don't be timid, you'll understand most of this language immediately because it's BASIC syntax". That is not the case for most languages that do NOT have Basic in the name, like Python, Ruby, Julia, Ring, whatever. Here, the message is "you'll have to learn a new language". Not a problem for people for whom it's language #1, but if you have used a dozen Basic dialects in your coding career, you appreciate the familiarity of the syntax.

In short: There may be better Basic-like languages around, but there are valid reasons why people like the Basic in the name :)

Aurel

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2016, 07:58:42 PM »
[
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 10:33:42 PM by Aurel »

ScriptBasic

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2016, 08:20:35 PM »
everyone who ever code something on windows knows that there is no better option over winApi for GUI programming.

Everyone knows writing device drivers is best done in ASM. What is your point?

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2016, 08:29:08 PM »
That's why probably no one ever wrote anything about DiscoRunner (http://discorunner.com/) here.

ScriptBasic

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2016, 08:45:22 PM »
Thanks for the link!

I'll give it a try.

Tomaaz

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2016, 09:17:49 PM »
This is typical nonsense and everyone who ever code something on
windows knows that there is no better option over winApi for GUI programming.

Is using WinAPI the easiest way? No. Is it the fastest way? No. These are the two most important things about BASIC, so combining BASIC with WinAPI is well... insane? ;D What next? Let's use WinAPI with Scratch to teach 10 years old kids to code.  ;D

In short: There may be better Basic-like languages around, but there are valid reasons why people like the Basic in the name :)

Valid?  ;)

That's why probably no one ever wrote anything about DiscoRunner (http://discorunner.com/) here.

;)

Aurel

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2016, 09:45:42 PM »
[
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 10:33:58 PM by Aurel »

Tomaaz

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2016, 11:09:05 PM »
i was talking to John
about IUP and WinApi not about BASIC

Were you talking about the WinAPI that is focused mainly on C or were you talking about wrapper libraries (I think John was talking about the WinAPI)? Do you know that IUP supports calling native WinAPI?

by your definition then PureBasic is insane....

Really? That's very interesting. I've tried PureBasic on Linux. I was running exactly the same pieces of code and it worked the same way. Were I using WinAPI? ;) Or the way that PureBasic works is a bit different that you want me to believe it? Isn't it that PureBasic adds another layer which interacts with low level elements both on Windows and Linux (perhaps, slightly different in each case)?

And yes - combining BASIC with pure WinAPI is like embedding Assembler in Scratch code. Insane. ;)

ScriptBasic

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2016, 11:59:55 PM »
And yes - combining BASIC with pure WinAPI is like embedding Assembler in Scratch code. Insane

If you're going to go through all the trouble of interfacing directly with the WinAPI, you might as well just write your application in C/C++ in the first place.

PowerBASIC was one of those that interfaced with the rest of the world at low level.

jj2007

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2016, 01:44:50 AM »
And yes - combining BASIC with pure WinAPI is like embedding Assembler in Scratch code. Insane. ;)

I do that all the time, and have done so the last 25+ years. Why should that be insane? It's easy, and often the most elegant way to do things.