Author Topic: Windows has wiped out my Linux instalation.  (Read 6740 times)

Tomaaz

Re: Windows has wiped out my Linux instalation.
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2016, 10:34:23 AM »
Ah, ok, it's a laptop? Well, then you are right, that's not so nice using an external HDD. i never did that with my laptop either, only with my desktop PC.

For last ten years I've been using only laptops. I've decided to go for "one laptop, one system" solution. Yesterday I bought a cheep one for general/family use and I'm gonna make my old one dual boot again (with Windows left just in case, I'm not planning to boot it in the near future). The new one comes with Win 10 pre-installed and I'm positively surprised that Microsoft still allows people to setup user accounts without having Microsoft's online account.

ZXDunny

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2016, 05:12:46 PM »
You don't even have to activate Win10 either - you can use it indefinitely and not pay a penny. The only restriction is that you can't personalise it.

Tomaaz

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2016, 08:42:12 PM »
You don't even have to activate Win10 either - you can use it indefinitely and not pay a penny. The only restriction is that you can't personalise it.

My version's been pre-installed so it's been already activated. The bad thing about Windows is insane number of time it needs to update itself. In the meantime I tried several Linux distros on the other laptop (I had to download .iso images) and installed one. :)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 08:52:10 PM by Tomaaz »

ScriptBasic

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2016, 03:42:42 AM »
The bad thing about Windows is insane number of time it needs to update itself.

It gives you a phobia thinking your last build was flawed and you should recompile all your stuff. I hate Windows and even more > 7.

Aurel

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2016, 06:58:19 AM »
It gives you a phobia thinking your last build was flawed
true that...   ;D