Author Topic: A classic one - how does look your desktop?  (Read 25281 times)

Tomaaz

Re: A classic one - how does look your desktop?
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2016, 01:49:51 PM »
EDIT This is more boring than another Mandelbrot example ...

Why bother posting then? On a Retrogamecoding board? ;D

I already apologized for bringing Mandelbrot back. For these screenshots someone else should do.  ;D

Mike Lobanovsky

« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2016, 06:20:21 PM »
I already apologized for bringing Mandelbrot back. For these screenshots someone else should do.  ;D
My screenshots are not about Mandelbrot. They are about my homely retro desktops ... and it was by sheer accident that they happened to be flooded with Tomaaz' JS code the moment I took them. ;D

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2016, 08:33:38 PM »
Okay, back to topic: my Windows 10 Pro desktop. As you already might have noticed: I do like this background wallpaper.  ;)

ScriptBasic

« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2016, 09:12:12 PM »
I'm glad to finally meet you.

OT How is your My-BASIC derivative coming along?

« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 05:36:10 AM by John »

Mike Lobanovsky

« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2016, 03:34:14 AM »
Gosh! Is that a mustache or a beard?! :D

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2016, 08:37:58 AM »
Gosh! Is that a mustache or a beard?! :D
It' s a beard.  8)

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2016, 08:42:03 AM »
I'm glad to finally meet you.

OT How is your My-BASIC derivative coming along?
The project is on halt at the moment although AllegroBASIC is fully usable. I want to use a more modern library in the future whether Allegro5 or SDL2 isn't that clear for now.
But first I want to finish the Booty retro remake. Still having trouble implementing those d***ed platforms ...

Uh, I tried the latest Haiku build natively. It boots now and all hrdware works, except my USB wifi adaptors... (yeah that mandelbrot app is installed by default ;))
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 05:52:30 PM by Cybermonkey »

Mike Lobanovsky

« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2016, 07:53:59 PM »
... (yeah that mandelbrot app is installed by default ;))

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2016, 07:27:35 PM »
My new desktop. It's not a tablet nor a phone but my good old desktop PC running Android x86 (6.0.1). Everything works fine including sound, wifi, 3D acceleration and a lot of apps.  ;)

Tomaaz

« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2016, 08:46:46 PM »
My new desktop. It's not a tablet nor a phone but my good old desktop PC running Android x86 (6.0.1). Everything works fine including sound, wifi, 3D acceleration and a lot of apps.  ;)

How is your experience with using mouse with it?

After what's just happened to my laptop, I'm using Linux in Virtualbox only. It's another minimalistic desktop (LXDE). The interesting thing about it is that with only 768 MB it runs faster and smoother than the Windows 10 Virtualbox is being run on. :)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 08:49:58 PM by Tomaaz »

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2016, 06:43:33 PM »

How is your experience with using mouse with it?

It is a bit funny, I have to admit but most things work. I use Android x86 predominantly for gaming with a game controller. I bought one which can be used with Windows (Xinput or DirectInput) and Android. (And even PS3 - but I haven't got one.)

Mike Lobanovsky

« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2016, 07:58:36 PM »
Windows 10 Pro Anniversary Edition with its DWM's Aero+Blur+Glass and Aero Lite (~Win 7 Basic theming) restored. No DLL patch hacks, no unsigned .msstyles, no hands... :)

ScriptBasic

« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2016, 04:13:51 AM »
Is this your own concoction or is there a procedure somewhere we can use to return the same results?

I'm assuming if one creates a GUI based program with these modifications in place on the dev box, the deliverables would run vanilla on the recipients Win10 box?

Mike Lobanovsky

« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2016, 02:56:29 PM »
Hehe John,

In fact, I abused that screenie to show off two interrelated things at once.

First off, it displays native Win 10 windows that have regained, system-wide, their beautiful Aero decorations that replace natively, i.e. without any unauthorized patching or hacking of the Windows system DLLs, the ugly and unicolored and disproportionate and dull Metro hell characteristic of stock Windows 10 as well as of some other poor man's alternatives.

This can be done using this non-intrusive software. Until Win 10 Anniversary Edition (version 1607, build 14393), it just used Win 8+'s undocumented registry keys to regain former Aero functionality but now it also installs a driver that supervises the DWM's behavior to force it to use Aero compositing where it otherwise wouldn't, keys or no keys.

Without additional efforts, Aero Glass will enable transparent, optionally blurry compositing but the look of window decorations will remain awkwardly rectangular and sometimes out of sync with the system's color Accent settings. Search their forum for simple additional SW to control the Aero settings more closely and bring them in sync with the system settings, including Accent. You can also find there additional system texture atlases (no .msstyles patching again!) to bring back rounded window corners and neater window buttons, like you see in my screenie, and even Vista-style aero glass reflection on your primary monitor.

Aero Glass is free but it's donationware. For a symbolic donation of 3 euros or more you'll get a key (or more) to remove the nag message box and the watermark string at the bottom right corner of your desktop. Alternatively you can use any Win32 SDK-aware BASIC or even AutoIt to create a relatively simple script that would wait till such a nag message box is about to pop up and would then kill it before it makes itself visible. It appears only once when the first Aero window is opened on your desktop, and your script may safely quit once the nag box is killed. In the meantime it can also walk the Aero Glass process memory to find and chomp its desktop watermark string at its very beginning. Guess which strategy I followed? ;)

And lastly, the screenie also shows off FBSL's own skinning engine that optionally enables us to ensure consistent look and feel of FBSL software, both official and user designed, throughout the supported range of Windows OSes, which is practically under any of them, should we so wish.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 08:25:23 PM by Mike Lobanovsky »

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2017, 09:03:24 PM »
Okay, I just installed Icaros Desktop 2.2; this is how it looks like.