Author Topic: Blaztap, another raycasting game  (Read 6615 times)

Mopz

Blaztap, another raycasting game
« on: April 25, 2013, 11:13:07 AM »
I've already posted some videos about it, but here comes a "playable" version of the game. Since the last video I've made the enemies intelligent enough to atleast shoot at you (but they forget all about you if you hide behind a wall).

It's still just a very small test level.

Move with the arrow keys, shoot with the left Ctrl key and interact with doors and switches with the space bar.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 08:23:23 PM by Mopz »

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
Re: Blaztap, another raycasting game
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 03:28:40 PM »
Hehe, fun play. Reminds me to the good ol' days when we had an i386 with 66? MHz and 640 KB. (And a b/w display  ;D)

kevin

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 04:59:16 PM »
Very good demonstration ..... the night sky adds something good to it.....more complete somehow...I look forward to seeing further development of the game when you have time....

Mopz

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 06:24:40 PM »
Hehe, fun play. Reminds me to the good ol' days when we had an i386 with 66? MHz and 640 KB. (And a b/w display  ;D)

Those days I had a 14 MHz Amiga, but it could still display some nice Wolfenstein like games such as Gloom ;) When I got my first PC they were in the ~400 MHz era. One of the first thing I programmed on it was a Wolfenstein clone in QBASIC :)

Mopz

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 08:26:13 PM »
Organized the code a little and made a template map in RC Editor with support for lots of items (most of them not implemented in code yet). But looking at it as a game, I just added a second level :) Updated the attachment in the first post.

Mopz

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 04:35:29 PM »
For those of you who aren't one of those 45 people following NaaLaa on facebook, here's the link to the current applet version of the game:

http://games.naalaa.com/blaztap/game.html

Now there's music (MIDI, yeah!) and soundfx, but be warned: the third level is a big dark ... void.

ScriptBasic

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 05:13:54 PM »
Marcus,

I got to level 3 and there doesn't seem anywhere to go from there but walk around in the dark.

Mopz

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 05:47:02 PM »
Marcus,

I got to level 3 and there doesn't seem anywhere to go from there but walk around in the dark.

I told you "/.../ but be warned: the third level is a big dark ... void."  ;D

The truth is, this is where I always get sick of it. I've made my "engine" work! There are guns! There are enemies! There are power ups! And ... there's the part where you're supposed to design more than two levels to take advantage of all the game features. I love programming, but I HATE designing game levels :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 05:50:12 PM by Mopz »

ScriptBasic

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 07:46:54 PM »
I would call that winning the game. Just add graphic that says have a beer and stroll around, there isn't anywhere else to go.

Mopz

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 05:00:32 PM »
I would call that winning the game. Just add graphic that says have a beer and stroll around, there isn't anywhere else to go.

:)

I've already added code for a couple of different enemies and weapon upgrades. But (I have stated this before), the most boring thing I know is designing levels. It sickens me. Makes me drink. Beer.