Author Topic: Question regarding EGSL w/ Haiku R1A4.1...  (Read 9445 times)

Luposian

Re: Question regarding EGSL w/ Haiku R1A4.1...
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2013, 10:17:46 PM »
Here a screenshot of the astrorocks version from EGSl Website:

Haiku alpha 3

Boy, that looks REALLY messed up.  At least, in Haiku R1A4.1, there is only a small square of pink, not a huge square of purple!

Luposian

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 10:42:44 PM »
Well, it happened what I posted before: no pink. BTW, I am using the latest release of Haiku Alpha 4.1. Have you donwloaded the games from egsl site or haikuware? If the later on, please try the version from here: http://www.egsl.retrogamecoding.org//pages/showcase.php

Ok, here is what I did. I installed Haiku R1A4.1. I then downloaded (using lelldorin's optionalpackage installer (a YAB program he recommended)), sdllibs and lua. I downloaded the current version of EGSL w/ IDE.  Then downloaded Brickmaster (source code version from here) and Astrorocks (I think from here, but maybe from Haikuware).

Should I simply reinstall Haiku and try again?  Tell me exactly what software to download, in what order. If it works for you, then it should work for me.

Luposian

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2013, 04:03:30 AM »
My sincerest apologies... I assumed my Haiku install was set to either 24 or 32-bit color.  IT WAS SET TO 16-BIT!!!  Upon changing it to 32-bit color (the only other option higher), and changing the one line in Brickmaster to 32, the pink completely disappeared!  I can't believe I've been fighting this problem the entire time, while having the wrong screen resolution bit-depth!  ARRRRGH!  I feel like such an idiot!  *kicks self in head, with steel-toed boot, several times*

Just out of curiosity, had I set the line to "16" (with the system in 16-bit color mode), would that also have worked?  I'll assume the answer to that question is "yes".

But, this might be a lesson for others as well... to make sure it's asked, "What color bit-depth is your screen resolution set to?".  That would have settled this problem a looooong time ago!  :D

Luposian

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2013, 04:13:50 AM »
Ok, just tried Astrorocks, and it plays fine, except there is a tiny tinge of pink around the larger asteroids.  Also, when I get hit by a rock, a massive pink square appears (and shrinks down) along with my ship explosion.  What is causing that?  Is this game expecting a 24-bit color depth?  If so, I don't have that option.  It's 8-bit, 15-bit, 16-bit, or 32-bit.

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2013, 10:30:53 AM »
EGSL works correctly only with 24 or 32 bit depth. If your desktop is 32 bit you can also open a screen in 24 bits with EGSL:
Code: [Select]
screen (800,600,24,"My screen")

Luposian

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2013, 03:49:22 PM »
EGSL works correctly only with 24 or 32 bit depth. If your desktop is 32 bit you can also open a screen in 24 bits with EGSL:
Code: [Select]
screen (800,600,24,"My screen")

Well, that answers one part of my question, but what about the tinge of pink around the medium size asteroids and the huge pink square that appears when my ship explodes?

And, finally, why are all the EGSL games I play (not just Astrorocks... Wallman and Brickmaster as well!) so slow on a single core Pentium 4 Celeron in Haiku R1A4.1?

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2013, 07:51:32 AM »
And, finally, why are all the EGSL games I play (not just Astrorocks... Wallman and Brickmaster as well!) so slow on a single core Pentium 4 Celeron in Haiku R1A4.1?
That's because SDL is not hardware accelerated (I think that's not possible on Haiku anyway) and the complete script is computed at runtime. So imagine the CPU has to calculate the game logic and the graphics at the same time. I recommend at least a dualcore for smooth game play.

Luposian

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2013, 06:37:02 AM »
Ok, this is weird...

I am trying to compile (build) an executable from the Brickmaster source code version.  I can click on the joystick and test/play the program just fine, but when I click on the little cubes icon (to build), it tells me this:

Can't find file /boot/apps/EGSL_IDE/data/bin/egsl/EGSL_1.6.0/egsl

But, that's the EXACT path to that very file!  It's telling me it can't find it, but it's right there!  And "makeexe" is right there with it, too!

What's going on and why?

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2013, 09:36:24 AM »
Hm, I don't know since I didn't code the IDE. I am using the command line version of EGSL on Haiku. Maybe Lelldorin can help you.

lelldorin

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2013, 03:05:01 PM »
Hm, I don't know since I didn't code the IDE. I am using the command line version of EGSL on Haiku. Maybe Lelldorin can help you.

Hmm, here on my Hiaku system it runs fine, please re-setup the egsl version in the settings.

Luposian

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2013, 09:49:41 PM »

Hmm, here on my Hiaku system it runs fine, please re-setup the egsl version in the settings.

I don't know what you mean by that.  Do you mean delete/reinstall it?  Are you running R1A4.1, specifically, as I am?  Small changes can cause big problems between versions.  Even point releases.

lelldorin

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2013, 08:37:52 PM »
Ok i mean to change in EGSL IDE into the settings and then changing the egsl version from egsl_1.6.0 to egsl_1.6.0. It can be that your settings file does not have the right egsl version stored.

The problem with the pink backgrounds are fixed. I test some examples and change there source to make them running on Haiku.