Author Topic: EGSL: Osgeld's Demo  (Read 5031 times)

Osgeld

EGSL: Osgeld's Demo
« on: October 04, 2013, 03:59:57 AM »
Whenever I find a new system like EGSL I do a little demo program just to see what kind of bovine scatology I can get away with. Same goes for EGSL, I started this as my very first project and never bothered finishing it ... until now.

This is really a collection of sub programs just ran back to back so one could just about copy and paste any section you want and make a stand alone version of the chosen effect.

That being said once this thing starts it grabs your computer and wont let go, you either dont touch anything and enjoy the ride, or you force quit it as a crash ... its not a proper way to deal with EGSL, but I dont feel like rewriting the entire thing from scratch.

Enjoy the show!

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
Re: EGSL: Osgeld's Demo
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 07:47:24 AM »
Whoo, impressive!

cvirus

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 01:31:31 PM »
Very cool.   ;D

lelldorin

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 05:19:32 PM »
Very nice, i like old scool demos :-)

Will be nice to add as example in the EGSL IDE?

Osgeld

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 12:12:04 AM »
I typically put a zlib license on things so do what you wanna!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zlib_License

and thank you all for your kind words  ;D

Tomaaz

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 06:47:01 PM »
Really nice old school demo! 8)

Luposian

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 08:17:00 AM »
This is really an awesome piece of work!  Very impressed!  Didn't think you could do that kinda stuff with EGSL, but since it's all 2D stuff, no reason why it couldn't, I guess!  What's the framerate on some of that stuff?  Would like to know how fast/efficient the EGSL engine is at rendering graphics and such.

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 09:33:33 AM »
Really - forget about EGSL. PulsarLua is way faster since it uses hardware acceleration where possible. Maybe in March there will be a release of PulsarLua ... at the moment I am working on the new webpage for it.

Osgeld

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 07:05:49 PM »
yea it manages to keep the framerate up by consuming a ton of cpu power, even on my 4ghz quad core it will studder in a couple places

Luposian

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 08:43:44 PM »
It only seemed a little sluggish during the maze scene, but I never noticed any stuttering.  I have an older gen. quad-core AMD A6 processor laptop (Acer), running Windows 7.  But the demo was cool, regardless!

Luposian

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 08:58:17 PM »
CM, as one who is quite excited by the ease of coding in EGSL (STOS was the easiest language for me to understand back in the 90's and I had trouble with that!), for you to say "Forget about EGSL" ... it just surprises me.  What is so horrible about EGSL, all of a sudden? 

Is PulsarLua EASIER to program games for, than EGSL?  Does it make game coding simpler for those who don't know blip about programming in ANY language, even BASIC?  If not, then it is not a viable option for me.  I need something that does the heavy lifting for me and gives me the easy stuff I can understand.

Update:  Just looked at Pulsar2D, which is supposedly the successor of EGSL.  Is this what you meant by PulsarLua?  In this case, if Pulsar2D is "EGSL v2", and has the simplicity of EGSL, but with more power, then I'm all for that.  But if Pulsar2D trades coding simplicity for power, that isn't going in the right direction for me, unless I can learn, with EGSL, and then learn MORE with Pulsar2D (i.e. EGSL becomes a stepping stone to Pulsar2D)

Question:  Are Cybermonkey and Markus Mangold... one and the same?  Just curious...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 01:41:22 AM by Luposian »

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 09:16:09 AM »
PulsarLua can be called EGSL 2.0 that's correct. Most functions are the same, a few changed, some are new. But the biggest difference is that PulsarLua (or the game engine Pulsar2D) is based on SDL2 whereas EGSL is based on SDL 1.2.