Author Topic: EGSL 1.6 and wxWidgets  (Read 3105 times)

Tomaaz

EGSL 1.6 and wxWidgets
« on: November 03, 2013, 12:47:03 PM »
EGSL 1.6 works with wxWidgets (see the screenshot - wxLua GUI app and an EGSL program are running in the same time). All you need to do is to download .zip file from wxLua website (http://sourceforge.net/projects/wxlua/files/wxlua/2.8.12.3/). In the bin folder you will find wx.dll. Copy it to your EGSL folder and that's it. :)

The wxWindows Licence has been approved by the Open Source Initiative and, as I understand, it means that the software can be freely used, modified, and shared.

EDIT: I've tried it only on Windows.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 12:52:44 PM by Tomaaz »

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
Re: EGSL 1.6 and wxWidgets
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 02:20:48 PM »
Oh, that's cool. So this should work with EGSL2, too. I need to try it on Linux, though.

GEEK

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 06:57:45 PM »
hey! nice to know, i'm working on a John Conway's Game of Life(EGSL) to (:

GEEK

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 12:15:51 AM »
hmmm, tried it but it keeps crashing...

GEEK

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 06:01:36 PM »
EGSL 1.6 works with wxWidgets (see the screenshot - wxLua GUI app and an EGSL program are running in the same time). All you need to do is to download .zip file from wxLua website (http://sourceforge.net/projects/wxlua/files/wxlua/2.8.12.3/). In the bin folder you will find wx.dll. Copy it to your EGSL folder and that's it. :)

The wxWindows Licence has been approved by the Open Source Initiative and, as I understand, it means that the software can be freely used, modified, and shared.

EDIT: I've tried it only on Windows.

can you help me make wxwidgets work please?

Tomaaz

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 02:32:56 PM »
can you help me make wxwidgets work please?

Copy wx.dll to your EGSL folder (where all libraries are placed). Add require "wx" at the beginning of your program. It should work (if it doesn't you need to ask someone smarter than me for help - possibly wxLua developers ;)). Remember, this is Windows-only solution.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 02:34:54 PM by Tomaaz »

GEEK

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 04:22:26 PM »
i did that, can you give me an example code please?

Tomaaz

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 04:46:32 PM »
i did that, can you give me an example code please?

There is a "sample" folder in wxLua .zip file, however the examples are meant to be run with wxlua.exe. If you want to run it with plain Lua interpreter or EGSL you need do add require "wx" at the beginning. Also, make sure you're using .dll from wxLua 5.2. I'm not sure if it matters, but EGSL 1.6 uses liblua5.2, so that's probably a better choice.

It's not like I don't want to post any example code. I just haven't written anything by myself. At the moment I'm using wxPython and just wanted to try if there was a option to use wxWidgets with Lua. All examples I tried (calculator, temperature converter, empty window and a few more) worked with EGSL.