Author Topic: Basicprogramming.org gone?  (Read 9410 times)

Tomaaz

Basicprogramming.org gone?
« on: September 01, 2014, 02:20:26 PM »
It doesn't look good this time. Cybermonkey, do you know anything? You're the only bp.org administrator I've got contact to.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 02:24:05 PM by Tomaaz »

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
Re: Basicprogramming.org gone?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 05:00:37 PM »
Sorry, I was suprised by this, too. I really don't know what happened, I hope I can contact Derek.

Derek

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 04:23:05 PM »
Hi,

I emailed Thomas about bp.org last night but haven't had a reply.
Code: [Select]
derek@del:~$ ping www.basicprogramming.org
ping: unknown host www.basicprogramming.org
derek@del:~$ ping forum.basicprogramming.org
ping: unknown host forum.basicprogramming.org
derek@del:~$ host forum.basicprogramming.org
Host forum.basicprogramming.org not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
derek@del:~$ host www.basicprogramming.org
Host www.basicprogramming.org not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

I have no idea what, if anything, we can read into that nor do I know why this has happened.

If I do hear anything from Thomas I'll let you know.

Edit: I should have said that the domain is registered until mid December.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 04:25:44 PM by Derek »

Richly

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 10:20:44 PM »
Thomas hasn't posted to the bp.org forum since before Christmas when he promised Yab3 would make an appearance - looks like we could be waiting a while...  :(

Is there any other way the forum could be reactivated without Thomas' input if he doesn't reply?

Ed Davis

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 11:32:24 AM »
I got a response from Thomas:
Hi! I’ve contacted EKV to ask him to check the domain details –
the domain status, as per http://whois.domaintools.com/basicprogramming.org,
is “On Hold (generic).”

Cheers,

Tom.

Tomaaz

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 01:26:02 PM »
If the problem is a domain name, the site should be accessible via its IP address. Who is the owner of a server space on which the site is being hosted?

Derek

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 03:19:27 PM »
Thomas has replied to me and he is going to have to contact E Virtinan to check some details. That's all he told me.

If the problem is a domain name, the site should be accessible via its IP address. Who is the owner of a server space on which the site is being hosted?
See here. Also read this page for the meaning of "Domain Status    On-hold (generic)". From that I think we can all jump to a conclusion and not be too far from the truth.

Is anyone here a member of the World of Spectrum forums? I know several members of BP.org are also Wossers and a question about the disappearance has been asked. Perhaps someone here may be kind enough to let them hear this titbit of news.

Derek

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 03:22:54 PM »
Is there any other way the forum could be reactivated without Thomas' input if he doesn't reply?
I know for a fact that there's nothing I can do and I assume the same goes for CM, too. Even though myself and CM are admins we only have control over the forum - anything to do with the server is out of bounds to us.

Tomaaz

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 05:28:48 PM »
See here. Also read this page for the meaning of "Domain Status    On-hold (generic)".

I'm not talking about a domain. A domain name and a web space are two separate things. They can be bought separately from different providers and linked together. They can be bought for different periods of time and the fact that the domain has expired doesn't mean that the website content is gone. So, who's got the access to the server?  Is it Thomas, or is it still EKV? It may be possible to access the content of the forum, even if the domain is "on hold".

Richly

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 07:21:34 PM »
Is anyone here a member of the World of Spectrum forums? I know several members of BP.org are also Wossers and a question about the disappearance has been asked. Perhaps someone here may be kind enough to let them hear this titbit of news.

Yes, I'm a Wosser...I'll try and post later tonight...

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 07:56:14 PM »
Well, a bit offtopic, but it's not only bp.org which has problems ... see attached screenshot for more information.
But it was only for a few minutes. FB is up again ...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 07:58:04 PM by Cybermonkey »

Richly

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 09:41:12 PM »

Yes, I'm a Wosser...I'll try and post later tonight...

Done.

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/forums/showthread.php?t=48649

ScriptBasic

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 06:15:44 AM »
Tomaaz,

Why don't you join us on the OxygenBasic.org forum. At the moment the focus is Lisp in BASIC. I have TinyScheme working as an extension module for Script BASIC. Works great. Rob (Lisp expert) keeps the thread interesting, The Script BASIC project could use your help as well.

John

Tomaaz

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 07:24:54 PM »
John, thanks for the invitation, but I really don't have time at the moment (my family got bigger in June ;)). Maybe in the future.

So, I understand that's the end of bp.org... :(

ScriptBasic

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 07:55:04 PM »
my family got bigger in June

Life can suck the fun right out of you.  :'(

I'm not asking you to be the great resource you have been in the past, just join us and give us your take. If you see AIR around, bring him with you.  8)

BP.org = Too many cooks in the kitchen.