Author Topic: Edge: Code tags and Smileys  (Read 3424 times)

B+

Edge: Code tags and Smileys
« on: January 17, 2016, 04:47:38 PM »
Hi,

I am using Edge browser from Windows 10 and both Code tags and Smileys are not working at this site but do work at other sites. Is anyone else having this experience? I think this site was working fine from Android NOOK's Chrome browser.

So far I am not very impressed with Edge, specially when posting, at a couple of sites the page has been lost and I've had to go to my wifi and disconnect and reconnect and start my post over again (Edge History has record of visit but won't return to page.)I just had my laptop repaired with new hard drive and Windows 10 installed by guy who knows the drivers needed to go with it. So is this problem Edge or my device or my Internet service provider?

jbk

Re: Edge: Code tags and Smileys
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 05:34:52 PM »
I occasionally use edge in Windows 10 and have no problem going to a page in the history list, but I think the browser interface sucks, there are no text menus only a handful of pictographs which I never know what they do so I waste time and time again trying to figure what they do.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 06:16:23 PM by jbk »

B+

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 06:02:29 PM »
Hi jbk,

Click the :) icon/button in the edit window here (with Edge browser).

Does :) show up in your preview screen. I have to type : then ) to get my Smiley face to appear in my posts.

If it doesn't appear when you click the :) icon/button then you have same problem as I with Edge.

BTW, when you hold the mouse pointer over the icon or tag button, it should popup an all too brief idea of what it is, that is working for me with Edge here at this site but the event of clicking the button is not.

Maybe you know but in case you don't or in case someone else doesn't know:
The # symbol/icon is for inserting your code in a code window that gives it a scroll bar. Very neat looking specially if you have a longish amount of code to post. You can copy/paste the code, then select all of it and the click the # sign, if the button is working (which it is not for me with Edge). I have to type the word code and then put square brackets on either side and then type /code with brackets again on either side. All that typing... Yikes!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 06:14:50 PM by B+ »

jbk

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 06:18:43 PM »
same problem here, using Edge on Windows 10, clicking on the emoticons has no effect.
thank you for the scroll bar tip. :)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 06:20:46 PM by jbk »

jbk

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 06:25:25 PM »
this post was made using Chrome in Windows 10  :) ;) :D ;D
clicking on emoticons works.
btw, Chrome's interface is much better than Edge's
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 06:28:32 PM by jbk »

B+

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 06:32:48 PM »
Hi jbk,

Thanks for quick feedback. Yes, I may try Chrome or go back to Foxfire (or is it Firefox? I can never remember... Oh, no wonder!)

B+

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 06:36:49 PM »
Hmm... Chrome or Foxfire/Firefox?

Aurel reminded me today about supporting free coding projects... hmm...

I think I would like to see more opinions.

Is there a browser better for developing a web site (if I ever get around to trying that)?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 06:42:22 PM by B+ »

B+

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 01:19:32 AM »
Hi jbk,

How long have you had Chrome, have you tried other browsers? What do you like to code with?

jbk

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 03:14:14 AM »
Hi B+
I have only occasionally used the Chrome browser for about one month but for browsing only, sorry but I have no knowledge on web programming.
my computer is a Mac Pro and mostly use the Safari browser, I have a number of virtual machines with Windows and Linux.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 03:19:07 AM by jbk »

Aurel

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 07:52:25 AM »
Yes this thing called >Edge really sucks so
use
firefox
opera
k-meleon
or maybe something web-kit based

B+

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 05:39:58 PM »
 :) Yeah, Firefox working!

Code: [Select]
print "hello world!"

B+

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 05:50:15 PM »
Hi jbk,

Do you know about PM = Personal Message service here at forum?

jbk

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 07:38:35 PM »
Hi B+, had not expected any PM's so I had not noticed.