Author Topic: Another newbie  (Read 5360 times)

dragomrak

Another newbie
« on: January 24, 2016, 11:04:47 AM »
Hello,

some people here may know me a bit from the "basiprogramming.org" forum. I used to programme a bit in Qbasic, QuickBasic and Turbo Pascal many years ago and now I'd like to make a new start. I'd like to programme some little tools and perhaps give gamesprogramming a try. I am from German, so please be patient with my English. That would bei nice. ;-)
I am using Linux, which makes programming in Basic a bit complicate, because - as far as I know - there are not much Basics around. What would be a good start? What do you recommend? I tried to install Bacon, which did not start, Smallbasic didn't as well. It happened just nothing. JB works - not really sufficient - but it works. What would you recommend to start with. I like Basic very much, but I am not fixed. If Lazarus or freepascal is working, it's fine with me. I should be able to programme some smaller tools ( at the moment I'm trying to make a tool for two csv-files to select the fields to be printed ) and perhaps an easy start into gameprogramming. BTW I'm not good in mathematics, should I? ;-)

Many thanks so far.

Tomaaz

Re: Another newbie
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 12:15:45 PM »
HI! :)

I tried to install Bacon, which did not start...

What distribution are you using? Did you install from a .deb package or from the command line installer? Also, did BaCon itself didn't start or was it BaConGUI? The problem with BaConGUI is that it needs gtksourceview2 library. Some distribution come with version 3 installed and you need to install version 2 from your repository. Of course, you need to have GCC installed. Unfortunately, as far I remember, .deb package doesn't check that. If you don't have GCC, install it. Hope, it helps. BaCon is by far the best BASIC for Linux, so don't give up. The converter itself is really cool and easy to use and you will not find another BASIC with such a good documentation, great community and friendly, helpful developer.

Richly

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 12:18:12 PM »
Hello Dragomrak

Yes I remember seeing your posts from BP.org days.

I would suggest SpecBAS but Gambas is something that I often see recommended to Linux users, although I haven't tried it being a Windows user myself

http://gambas.sourceforge.net/en/main.html

dragomrak

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 12:29:29 PM »
Hi,

many thansk for your ( very quick ) replies. I'm using Elementary OS. I installed it from the repo. I have gtksurceview3 installed already. Hm... think...

« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 12:32:01 PM by dragomrak »

Tomaaz

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 12:49:00 PM »
Hi,

many thansk for your ( very quick ) replies. I'm using Elementary OS. I installed it from the repo. I have gtksurceview3 installed already. Hm... think...

You need to install gtksourceview2. BaconGUI won't work with gtksourceview3 (you do not need to remove gtksourceview3). Elementary OS is based on Ubuntu, so you should have no problems with using BaCon. You can even do it without BaconGUI. It is a good editor for BaCon, but you can use any editor you like. BaCon itself work from command line. Just type "bacon -h" in your terminal. It should already work, even if BaconGUI doesn't.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 12:50:38 PM by Tomaaz »

dragomrak

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 02:14:23 PM »
Oops,   :-[ :-[

I would  have a big advantage, if I would read. Sorry for that.

Tomaaz

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 02:28:44 PM »
Does it work now? Don't give up on BaCon, even at the beginning it may seem a bit more difficult than some other BASICs (especially interpreters). ;)

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 03:10:02 PM »
Wait a little bit and try AllegroBASIC. Meanwhile you can already install the Allegro 4 libs and xterm:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install liballegro4.4 xterm

dragomrak

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 03:50:39 PM »
BaconGUI is working. A very small programme seems to be converted, but the terminal isn't starting. What do I have to type in to start the pantheon terminal of Elementary OS?

Tomaaz

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 04:18:56 PM »
Try changing default shell in execute options window (the one that appears after you click 'execute' button) to pantheon -e @.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 04:20:43 PM by Tomaaz »

B+

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 06:57:09 PM »
Ah Dragomrak! You have found professional help!  ;)

Nice to see you here.

Mark/B+

B+

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2016, 07:04:20 PM »
Hi Richey,

You are alive I see, good! Have you noticed newest member at SpecBAS?

Richly

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2016, 08:09:29 PM »
Hi Richey,

You are alive I see, good! Have you noticed newest member at SpecBAS?

:)

Indeed I have.

There are some exciting plans in place for SpecBAS, are there not?

I'm spending what time I have on continuing to learn C (long-term project) :o and Perl  ::) at the moment (keeps things interesting, you see...but limits the time available for forums).

Which reminds me - Tomaaz, what was that Perl book for beginners that you recommended? I'm using 'Learning Perl' at the moment.

Tomaaz

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2016, 10:51:14 PM »
Which reminds me - Tomaaz, what was that Perl book for beginners that you recommended? I'm using 'Learning Perl' at the moment.

Curtis Poe "Beginning Perl"
"Modern Perl" - electronic versions are free.

Richly

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2016, 11:29:42 PM »

Curtis Poe "Beginning Perl"
"Modern Perl" - electronic versions are free.

Great, thanks Tomaaz  :)