Author Topic: BASIC Tenliners 2016  (Read 9232 times)

Richly

BASIC Tenliners 2016
« on: January 24, 2016, 10:17:11 PM »
Here is an interesting thread from the World of Spectrum site for those of you interested in retro BASICs and have the time and inclination to take part:

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/forums/discussion/51994/basic-tenliners-2016#latest

In summary, it is a competition to code a game in 10 lines of any 8-bit / retro (line based) BASIC (I think that SpecBAS would still qualify).

The rules are a little bit vague...but I thought it might be of interest to some here (after all, it is the Retrogamecoding and Basicprogramming Forum   ;))

ZXDunny

Re: BASIC Tenliners 2016
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 10:42:23 PM »
I've asked for clarification on the architecture rule - if it's only 8bits then it's not gonna allow SpecBAS :(

Just think what I could do in ten lines... :D

D.

Richly

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 11:28:48 PM »
I've asked for clarification on the architecture rule - if it's only 8bits then it's not gonna allow SpecBAS :(

Just think what I could do in ten lines... :D

D.

I have seen what you can do in one line, let alone ten lines!!  :)

ScriptBasic

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 01:02:31 AM »
It's statements, not lines.

Have you ever looked at the one line of code that makes jQuery?

@Paul - It seems strange that you're a line number advocate but create programs with one / two lines that take more time to understand than rewrite.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 03:35:00 AM by John »

B+

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 06:37:50 PM »

@Paul - It seems strange that you're a line number advocate but create programs with one / two lines that take more time to understand than rewrite.

I have noticed this too, so I have to smile. Hey if it's a problem, maybe we can find a Basic solution.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 06:41:48 PM by B+ »

Tomaaz

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 06:43:56 PM »

Wasn't it something about the speed?

ZXDunny

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 08:13:34 PM »

Wasn't it something about the speed?

That's part of it, certainly - executing from the same space is always going to be a mite faster than pulling lines out, at least in my interpreter.

Aside from that, it's just one of the things I like to do. Anyone who has to ask why I do it and advocate the use of line numbers really doesn't understand the question!

D.

ScriptBasic

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 08:53:50 PM »
Aside from that, it's just one of the things I like to do. Anyone who has to ask why I do it and advocate the use of line numbers really doesn't understand the question!

This forum is about helping folks learn BASIC. Not a constant pissing match between you and JJ.

Aurel

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 10:22:54 PM »
executing from the same space is always going to be a mite faster than pulling lines out, at least in my interpreter
that is true...and one of reason why bytecode stream is faster in execution than line by line
uff i think that oi must do something about that.... ::)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 10:34:04 PM by Aurel »

ScriptBasic

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 10:46:56 PM »
If you want speed, use a compiler.

The point of an interpreter is ease of use, no startup costs and relaxed type / variable definitions.

There are plenty of options out there so no need for attitude here on the forum.

ZXDunny

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 11:19:50 PM »
executing from the same space is always going to be a mite faster than pulling lines out, at least in my interpreter
that is true...and one of reason why bytecode stream is faster in execution than line by line
uff i think that oi must do something about that.... ::)

SpecBAS is a hybrid system, I think. The bytecode is all in one large memory block, but there's certain housekeeping that has to be done between lines that isn't necessary between statements, and GO TO has to perform a lookup to get the address of the line to jump to. It's that housekeeping that can slow things down, but it's not by much - it's still plenty fast enough.

At least it is until I get the compiler finished :)

D.

B+

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 02:48:45 AM »
Hi D,

I was pleasantly surprised with what was in latest download today.

ZXDunny

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 09:54:46 AM »
I was pleasantly surprised with what was in latest download today.

Glad to hear it - any suggestions and bug reports are welcome :)

D.

Richly

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2016, 10:16:03 PM »
22 entries so far...including one for the Sinclair ZX81

Richly

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 10:47:56 PM »