Author Topic: PureBasic  (Read 3704 times)

Tomaaz

PureBasic
« on: February 09, 2016, 05:59:22 PM »
OK. I'm not the biggest fan of programming tools that need to be paid for. However, Pure Basic comes with very good 'demo' version, so I decided to give it a try. To be honest it won't be the first time. I tried it several years ago, but at that moment I had found it to complex. Today it seems rather simple. It looks like I did a good job experimenting with different languages. ;) Anyway. Is anyone using this compiler?

jj2007

Re: PureBasic
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 02:19:02 AM »
Hi Tomaaz,
I don't use the compiler, but they have a remarkable resource: the only detailed help for Gdi+ that I could find so far. Unfortunately only in French 8)

dragomrak

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 04:55:46 AM »
Hi Tomaaz,

i must admit that I am no fan of those tools as well, if I have to pay and if they are not open source. So I do not use PureBasic. Thanks for your post.

Tomaaz

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 03:12:54 PM »
Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that charging for programs is something bad. I just think that some kind of software should be free. This is not because I say so, but because this is a general trend. Web browsers are the most obvious example. IMHO, the same applies to programming languages, as the most important ones are free.

dragomrak

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 03:30:36 PM »
That is not my point as well. I have no problem to pay for a software, because the author(s) had some work and that should be appreciated. For me the point is, that free software is a philosophy which I like and I don't do that, because it does not cost me money. I like it, because it is free. That is one reason, why I like Linux.

Rick3137

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 06:02:22 PM »
  Nice.
   I downloaded the free version. I'm not sure I need something this massive and powerful. I am uneasy about paying money for it. They want Euros, and I don't even know what a Euro looks like. If I seen this in a local store, I would be tempted to buy a copy.
  Buying software has been a hazard for me. The people in California who make operating systems, do not like software that they did not make. Every time I buy a new computer I discover that some of my software no longer works. I just don't want to buy something today that will not work tomorrow.

B+

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 07:08:41 PM »
Like one in Seattle, Washington?

Rick3137

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 09:09:38 PM »
Like one in Seattle, Washington?

Or maybe  Redmond, Washington.

YEP, that's it. I keep getting that place confused with another one called Silicon Valley.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 09:11:50 PM by Rick3137 »

jbk

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 03:11:38 AM »
I have PureBasic but nowadays I don't do any programming, in my opinion PB is a good language but it does take some time getting use to the syntax.