Author Topic: RC Basic Video Series  (Read 3431 times)

n00b

RC Basic Video Series
« on: April 13, 2016, 06:45:08 AM »
I started doing a video series on programming with RC Basic.  The link is here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIUOwQ2sQmXLJOTCZ6w5XWsI5uesbUGbG

My goal is to eventually start covering some graphics techniques like tile scrolling and alpha blending but right now I am just doing videos on beginner topics.

B+

Re: RC Basic Video Series
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 04:46:38 PM »
n00b, This video series is very commendable!

I will have to check out RC Basic because I already know SdlBasic (a little) and you can do things that SmallBASIC can't (yet) (plus it's free!).

Let me guess, you (RC Basic) don't do single line IF THEN either.  ;)  (yet?)

n00b

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 07:20:54 PM »
Thanks for the feedback B+. I don't have single line IF THEN.  I wrote the parser completely from scratch myself so I didn't have an established BASIC parser to build on.  I think sdlbasic uses the parser from wxbasic so it has a more advanced parser that can handle parsing multiple lines on a single line.  But even with this limitation you can still do pretty much anything in RC Basic you can do with sdlbasic. I will post some sdlbasic demos I converted to show a comparison of the 2 dialects side by side when I get home.  The biggest difference between the 2 is that sdlbasic is a source code interpreter and RC Basic code must be compiled to byte code which is run by a virtual machine kinda like java does.

ZXDunny

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 09:31:38 PM »
I think sdlbasic uses the parser from wxbasic so it has a more advanced parser that can handle parsing multiple lines on a single line.

That's not a limitation on your part - that's a limitation for sdlbasic. You rolled your own parser and interpreter? Then it can do whatever you want it to. That's why I wrote all of SpecBAS from scratch - it does what I want it to do, and isn't limited by lex/yacc or other "premade" parsing/interpretation libraries. If you want single-line IF, then get to it - it's pretty easy when you know the code inside out.

n00b

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 06:20:06 AM »
I did not mean to imply I couldn't do it.  I was simply stating that as of right now my parser is not as advanced as some of the other BASIC dialects on this forum.  I fully intend to expand it in time.  Right now my sole focus is on porting to linux.  I have got it to compile but I have been getting a bunch of segmentation faults and other crazy bugs.  I think I can have it up in another month at the latest.

n00b

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 06:51:01 AM »
I posted that demo I said I would post on the sdlbasic forum.

B+

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 04:45:38 PM »
Yes, one liner IF THEN hardly rates on the TO DO list with Linux as next aim to get up and running!

I think people might want a Find and Find/Replace in editor before one liner IF THEN.

And what's with the tiny print in output screens, it seems it is last on all developer's lists.  ;)

Kudos for Cut, Copy, Paste!

n00b

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 02:49:34 AM »
I actually wanted to add find/replace from the beginning.  I am still in the process of learning more about wxWidgets.  They are on my TODO list and I might be able to get some help with the editor so hopefully soon. :)