Author Topic: What BASIC do you mainly use?  (Read 20731 times)

Richly

What BASIC do you mainly use?
« on: June 03, 2016, 09:10:47 AM »
I know this question gets asked a lot but it hasn't been asked for a while and not here  :)

I also know we all use more than one BASIC, but which is your preferred choice?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 09:14:02 AM by Richey »

ZXDunny

Re: What BASIC do you mainly use?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 09:26:21 AM »
At present, I'm using AMOS Pro and Blitz BASIC on the Amiga for research purposes :)

Richly

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 09:58:41 AM »
At present, I'm using AMOS Pro and Blitz BASIC on the Amiga for research purposes :)

...for new SpecBAS features?  :)

I have a bit of a soft spot for Decimal BASIC too

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA008683/english/

jcfuller

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 10:11:06 AM »
I'm flattered UbxBasic is on the list but the one I am using the most at present is NOT: FreeBasic.
I recently discovered a feature that I thought only PowerBASIC had: Dead code removal.
In PowerBASIC you can include all your library "source" code and if it's not called it is not placed in the executable.
FreeBasic has the equivalent by prefacing your Sub/Functions/Methods with PRIVATE. If it's not used it is not included in the executable.

James

ScriptBasic

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 10:54:28 AM »
I primarily use Script BASIC as a base and enhance it with C BASIC extension modules for areas of code that an interpreter isn't suitable.

Richly

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 11:17:10 AM »
I'm flattered UbxBasic is on the list but the one I am using the most at present is NOT: FreeBasic.

Ah yes, a big omission. Sorry about that. I should have included Thinbasic, Bacon and Gambas too...and there are probably others...

Aurel

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 03:28:36 PM »
Problem is in who use what ..but in how many people even use any of basic
I can say that amount of real users is very very small.

B+

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 03:46:41 PM »
Can you spell SmallBASIC right?

Yahoo can't distinguish the two but wki can :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SmallBASIC
but article has not been updated for some time?

Small then BASIC the two words are together with all capital BASIC. http://smallbasic.sourceforge.net/

To distinguish it better from MS Small Basic, two separate words, second not all capital. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Small_Basic

And my preference depends on what I want to do:
Generally my go to Basic is SmallBASIC but SdlBasic is slightly better with intense graphics and JB has simple GUI and handles very big integers. SpecBAS can do some really fancy graphics but not so fun to code.

SmallBASIC is buggy as hell so can't recommend to others.

Append from Basicpro forum:

Quote from: bplus on May 27, 2016, 05:47:32 PM

Mike, I think uses Free something or other, maybe I will remember the name when he remembers mine  ;D
    no, just kidding Mike, no really... no really kidding...   ;D

Hi bplus,

I'm sorry if I've misspelled your given name; that was an attempt at recollecting the late basicprogramming dot com nightmare experience. No more Marc, Mark, or Marque from me, just bplus, is all. ;)

And no, that's not Free something, that's an advanced fifth generation BASIC interpreter with integrated industry standard assembler and C JIT compilers, that's been proudly called Freestyle BASIC Script Language over the recent 15 years.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 04:08:40 PM by B+ »

Richly

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 04:17:14 PM »
Can you spell SmallBASIC right?

Yahoo can't distinguish the two but wki can :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SmallBASIC
but article has not been updated for some time?

Small then BASIC the two words are together with all capital BASIC. http://smallbasic.sourceforge.net/

To distinguish it better from MS Small Basic, two separate words, second not all capital. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Small_Basic

Done! Personally, I think BASIC should be presented in capital letters...Beginners All-Purpose Symbolic Instruction Code  :)

And my preference depends on what I want to do:
Generally my go to Basic is SmallBASIC but SdlBasic is slightly better with intense graphics and JB has simple GUI and handles very big integers. SpecBAS can do some really fancy graphics but not so fun to code.

SmallBASIC is buggy as hell so can't recommend to others.

Did you vote?  :)

Append from Basicpro forum:

Quote from: bplus on May 27, 2016, 05:47:32 PM

Mike, I think uses Free something or other, maybe I will remember the name when he remembers mine  ;D
    no, just kidding Mike, no really... no really kidding...   ;D

Hi bplus,

I'm sorry if I've misspelled your given name; that was an attempt at recollecting the late basicprogramming dot com nightmare experience. No more Marc, Mark, or Marque from me, just bplus, is all. ;)

And no, that's not Free something, that's an advanced fifth generation BASIC interpreter with integrated industry standard assembler and C JIT compilers, that's been proudly called Freestyle BASIC Script Language over the recent 15 years.

Ah, FBSL...another one not on my list...but is it BASIC?  ;)

(quickly heads for the exit...)

B+

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 04:21:10 PM »
Thanks Richey,

I will vote now that I am not confused which name.  ;)

Do I only get one vote? I mainly use 3.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 04:22:55 PM by B+ »

Galileo

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 04:25:49 PM »
For years I had fun with Yabasic 2.763. But now I'm back to my origins with ZX Spectrum BASIC. I am dedicating to see how many of the proposed tasks on the website RosettaCode can be solved with this dialect. Although 30 years ago I came to hate him, now I love it for its simplicity and amazing abilities (for that machine).

I hope SpecBas is fully backwards in the future.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 04:27:54 PM by Galileo »

Richly

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 04:26:38 PM »
Thanks Richey,

I will vote now that I am not confused which name.  ;)

Do I only get one vote? I mainly use 3.

Just one I'm afraid.

Choose the one you use most or the one you prefer using  :)

I forgot about YaBasic (YaBASIC?) too - so did Thomas Larsen  :( at the same time he forgot about BP.org  >:(

Richly

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 04:29:53 PM »
For years I had fun with Yabasic 2.763. But now I'm back to my origins with ZX Spectrum BASIC. I am dedicating to see how many of the proposed tasks on the website RosettaCode can be solved with this dialect. Although 30 years ago I came to hate him, now I love it for its simplicity and amazing abilities (for that machine).

Ah, you may be interested in these forums - there is a section on Sinclair BASIC programming too

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/forums/

plus you can talk about things other than the Spectrum and Sinclair BASIC if you want...like what is your favourite curry?  ;)

Richly

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 04:33:17 PM »
I hope SpecBas is fully backwards in the future.

SpecBAS is pretty much compatible with Sinclair BASIC with some minor exceptions.

B+

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 04:44:44 PM »
...fully backwards in the future! ;D

Yes! that is what I like from SmallBASIC how close it remains to old Quick Basic for DOS, it has variant typing but $ for strings is still compatible and I don't think I will ever miss variable typing (except when I do for long integers). Plus for scoping, everything is assumed global unless declared local in procedure, for me that is easier to code and remember. This allows easy use of GOTO and GOSUB for old ways.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 08:24:20 PM by B+ »