Author Topic: What BASIC do you mainly use?  (Read 20743 times)

Mike Lobanovsky

Re: What BASIC do you mainly use?
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2016, 02:59:54 PM »
just tried to install on Windows 10 but Windows defender flag it as malware :(

It shouldn't. Are you sure it is the Defender (anti-malware net firewall) and not the DEP (data execution prevention) service? Matter is, v3.4.10 used to load the scripts and the machine code precompiled by the Asm jitter into the data, not executable code, memory which is what many simpler virus writing strategies would do. The restrictive DEP service that's initially switched on in clean MS Windows installations would avoid code execution in such memory areas and flag the respective executables as potentially dangerous, which FBSL of course isn't. FBSL v3.5 works differently and avoids that restriction.

I'd suggest switching off the DEP service when working with FBSL v3.4.10 on the latest MS Windows platforms. I think my complete personal authenticity as a member of this forum is a solid guarantee that noone here means harm to your computer, at least as far as FBSL is concerned. :)

Aurel

« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2016, 07:28:07 PM »
 Windows defender is well known as a piece of crap
similar things detect Avira based antivirus-engines which detect
everytime something in Oxygen Basic  >:(

Richly

« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2016, 08:56:33 PM »
Unlike FreeBASIC, or BCX, or UBX, or MasmBasic and some others that are essentially BASIC-to-C or BASIC-to-Asm translators, FBSL is completely standalone/independent/self-sufficient and doesn't depend on third-party static compilers to generate executable code.

Many thanks Mike for the reply and for the download link - very impressive indeed.

jj2007

« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2016, 07:49:26 PM »
MasmBasic ... BASIC-to-Asm translators

No translation involved here, Mike. It's pure Masm :)

ScriptBasic

« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2016, 11:38:25 PM »
No translation involved here, Mike. It's pure Masm.

What would be cool if MasmBasic could generate executable code without having to use the MASM assembler/linker. I think this is how OxygenBasic works.

Mike Lobanovsky

« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2016, 12:43:15 PM »
No translation involved here, Mike. It's pure Masm :)

Exactly, Jochen. It only uses Basic-like MASM macro names but that's exactly why it can't get completely rid of referring to the literal register names. Nonetheless I guess I should've written "... MyBasic and some others ... " in order to be absolutely meticulous. :)

What would be cool if MasmBasic could generate executable code without having to use the MASM assembler/linker. I think this is how OxygenBasic works.

I think that's highly unlikely because MASM32 is considerably stronger and more versatile than FBSL or O2 in its assembler engine, and that's what Jochen probably values the most. Yet the other two simpler assemblers are blazing fast as well even if compared to bytecode interpreters, to say nothing of conventional line-by-line interpretation.

jj2007

« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2016, 12:13:10 AM »
MASM32 is considerably stronger and more versatile than FBSL or O2 in its assembler engine

Compared to other assemblers (GAS, FASM, NASM, ...), the macro engine makes the difference: you can do incredible acrobatics with it. I am a M$ hater and Windows user, but I would feel honoured to know the persons who developed MASM more than twenty years ago.

Mike Lobanovsky

« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2016, 09:10:53 PM »
... the macro engine makes the difference: you can do incredible acrobatics with it. ...

The MASM macro engine is essentially a preprocessor to an otherwise rank and file programming product. The listing of a good contemporary C99-compliant preprocessor alone (like the one built into FBSL, for example) for the C language would typically be longer than the listings of many indie BASIC dialect implementations. :)