Author Topic: qb64 future?  (Read 2427 times)

Aurel

qb64 future?
« on: July 08, 2016, 06:05:29 AM »
http://www.qb64.net/forum/index.php?topic=13674.0

it looks that everything ...post...
It's a dead end. Let's leave it all behind and learn new languages.
Au revoir, tout le monde.

Aurel

Re: qb64 future?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 11:38:58 AM »
ouh i forget to read this (author says)
On a personal note I don't like visiting this forum much because of the tone of the place which is why you won't see around often. I also have no QB64 projects I'm working on or have plans to work on

so it looks like another one bite a dust ::)

Richly

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 07:34:38 PM »
so it looks like another one bite a dust ::)

Well, I suppose one of the downsides to BASIC and other small niche languages is that they are usually the product of just one person.

Sometimes the development of their BASIC / language is just a hobby, usually something they do in their spare time; even commercial BASICs are sometimes the product of one just person.

Users of hobby BASICs are sometimes perceived by the developer as being just along for the ride; but if a sole developer loses interest or real-life interferes with the development of their BASIC, then users are often left high and dry.

I guess there is no real answer to this, except to be aware of the risk and to choose your BASIC/ niche wisely and, if you don't want to risk being left out on a limb, learn an additional dialect or even add a different language to your repertoire.

Aurel

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 08:32:48 PM »
yes i dont understand why some people think that his dialect is
the best and that everything is great.
It s not problem if we have one person product ,even is open source when
someone else take over often this Dialect/language become worst.

Richly

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 08:31:32 PM »
Well, it looks as if Galleon is developing a new and alternative QB64 while somebody else from the community has expressed an interest in taking over the current version...

The main thing of interest to me though was that I noticed one of the moderators is OlDosLover from BP.org days...doesn't look like he has posted recently though...

ScriptBasic

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 12:35:52 AM »
I think BASIC will regain interest again when Microsoft decides to open source VB classic.