Author Topic: What kind of programming are you interested in?  (Read 3730 times)

Tomaaz

What kind of programming are you interested in?
« on: August 20, 2016, 08:21:48 PM »
Since this forum is not only for games any more, I wonder what kind of programs users here like to write. ;)

A couple of years ago, I would have said graphics and GUI. Nowadays I find it utterly boring. Web development and system administration is what I'm interested in. Plus I love to learn and compare different languages.

EDIT I've always wanted to write a simple 2D game, but found it to difficult to create graphics and sounds for it. ;)

« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 08:27:45 PM by Tomaaz »

Mike Lobanovsky

Re: What kind of programming are you interested in?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 10:56:18 PM »
3D model editors and matching OpenGL/GLSL viewers/renderers would be the explanation for my choice of Other.

wang renxin

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 03:18:30 AM »
Games, Interpreters, plus AI for me.

ScriptBasic

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 06:07:56 AM »
Scripting, cloud computing and advocating for open source.

B+

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 05:58:23 PM »
Other: programs of challenging problems that come up while socializing with people with similar interests in creative expression.

Do math and logic problems fall under Science computing?

I think Science falls under math and logic problems and that computing is a science. So when you make a program you are automatically doing Science computing.

But maybe you mean Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Astronomy, Geology... computing. Does this include Engineering, the applications of science, so when you make a program you are automatically applying science.

Does a program that attempts to fit things into categories fall under philosophy or computing?

Am I programming now?  :)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 07:06:52 PM by B+ »

Tomaaz

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 08:48:03 PM »
Do math and logic problems fall under Science computing?

As long as problems come first and programming is just a tool to solve the problems. If problems are chosen to demonstrate capabilities of computers and/or specific programming languages, it is not scientific computing.

Am I programming now?  :)

No, you're not. :)

Tomaaz

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 01:37:45 PM »
12 members have voted, yet. 8 for compilers and interpreters. That's not a surprise. 5 for comparing different languages. That is a surprise, cause (almost)no one seemed to be interested in trying Pike, Ring and Julia. Strange...

ZXDunny

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 03:26:01 PM »
12 members have voted, yet. 8 for compilers and interpreters. That's not a surprise. 5 for comparing different languages. That is a surprise, cause (almost)no one seemed to be interested in trying Pike, Ring and Julia. Strange...

To be honest, it's easy enough to compare two languages without actually running any code from them - just looking at the syntax and translating to your language of choice is usually enough. I'm not interested in languages per se, just in deconstructing what people have done in them and implementing it in mine.

Tomaaz

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 04:09:06 PM »
To be honest, it's easy enough to compare two languages without actually running any code from them - just looking at the syntax and translating to your language of choice is usually enough. I'm not interested in languages per se, just in deconstructing what people have done in them and implementing it in mine.

OK. I get your point, but this is not what I meant. Sorry, I should have explained it a little bit more. By comparing languages I don't mean a situation where someone posts another example of sin() this, cos() that in 20 lines and then others follow with copy/paste (with a small changes)  approach. I meant comparing languages in all aspects. Syntax, performance, community, documentation, set of libraries, support in editors, history of development, popularity etc. You can not do that without running a code. Also I like comparing languages myself. To do that I need to run code. ;) At the moment I'm trying to do a lot of different things in Julia and compare my experience with my experience with other languages. This include using documentation, external packages etc.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 04:12:35 PM by Tomaaz »

B+

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 04:16:52 PM »

When I voted for comparing different languages, I had looked into Java, Ruby, Python, JS. As D said, one motivation is to see if there is something you can translate back into your favorite language and dialect. Another motivation is to see what one might be lacking in functionality and how difficult it would be to duplicate. It is world shifting.

Tomaaz, you are doing fine job finding Basic like languages and bringing to our attention but who can keep up with all the new variations? I have to study each for awhile to discover it's true assets and I have to change my ways and means, my goals, to actually use a truly new dialect in the area for which it has been optimized.

Mopz

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 05:55:06 PM »
Games and graphics are kinda fun

Tomaaz

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 05:50:52 PM »
Games and graphics are kinda fun

Games definitely are. Graphics? Can be. Can be boring, too. ;)

Aurel

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 06:25:47 PM »
..hmm i kinda like circuit simulators,and then i found one written in
...do you believe-  ;D of course ...wait ....in python  ;D
OK everything presented on ther site is fine
but when i download windows version then i see what a crap is that
also worst thing is if you whish to compile source code in python on windows
gee i cannot remember what extra libs i need