Author Topic: Side-Scrolling platformer demo  (Read 24469 times)

n00b

Side-Scrolling platformer demo
« on: August 29, 2016, 06:48:31 AM »
This is just a demo I put together to test out some stuff for the game I am working on. It is just a small level but it does scroll to follow the character and you can jump and collide with the walls. The art assets come from RPG maker as I havent started working on the art yet. It is already compiled, so all you have to do is pass engine.cbc to rcbasic_run and it should start. (Make sure you have the most recent version of rcbasic). The source code for the demo is in the src folder if you want to look at it.

Press b to jump.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 12:22:00 PM by n00b »

Rick3137

Re: Side-Scrolling platformer demo
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 02:32:56 PM »
  No luck. The cbc file would not work. Loaded the text file and that didn't work.

n00b

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 06:32:25 PM »
I will look into it when I get home. Make sure you have the most recent version of rcbasic. Also try copying all the dist files into the folder with engine.cbc and renaming rcbasic_run to engine and running that.

n00b

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 04:49:03 AM »
I tested it on someone elses computer as well as my own and I am not getting that error. The only thing that happened on his computer was his anti virus blocked it, but once he allowed it to run it worked just fine. If you could let me know which OS you are running and whether 32 or 64 bit it would really help. Thanks.

Rick3137

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 04:18:24 PM »
 I am using a HP Pavillion Windows10 laptop.
 There must have been some sort of computer setting involved, or memory shortage. I went back to my computer administrator account and it worked on those settings. It does not work on my user account.
  I am not surprised. 4000 lines of code?  That should strain a lot of computers. What does that program do with all
of that code? All I seen was a simple game that covered about 2 screens.

n00b

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 08:03:02 PM »
That demo doesn't use most of that code. Most of the code is just code for my game engine which handles rendering multiple sprites in different layers along with collision detection and physics applied to each sprite.

n00b

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 08:10:30 PM »
I also created some tools to use with the engine like a animation editor for sprites and a map editor although they are both buggy and unfinished right now.  If you are interested I can post my engine in its current state just to show what it's capable of right now. I was going to make a few simple games first but decided to try to make a more complex game which is why I am still working on getting a basic demo up.

n00b

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 12:43:04 PM »
I finally uploaded my complete engine with all the tools I made.

Link: rcbasic.com/projects/n00b_engine.zip