Author Topic: Disappearing threads  (Read 3292 times)

B+

Disappearing threads
« on: September 06, 2016, 07:50:03 PM »
Here is copy of my reply to Aurel at Basicpro in case something happens to it there.

ScriptBasic

Re: Disappearing threads
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 09:04:45 PM »
I'm amazed anyone would actually join a forum Aurel is the admin of. Sounds like everyone shot themselves in the foot on that one.

Tomaaz

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 09:18:47 PM »
I'm amazed anyone would actually join a forum Aurel is the admin of.

I didn't even think about joining. Well... I did think about it. For a whole second. ;) Disappearing threads may be a problem, but in "Aurel being the admin" situation, everyone needs to be prepared for something much worse - not only threads but entire forums and websites vanish without a trace. Do you remember how many websites and forums Aurel has had already? ;)

EDIT And I remember Aurel Basic times. Of course, there were fights, too, but a lot of interesting contribution was happening, as well.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 09:36:22 PM by Tomaaz »

B+

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 09:58:11 PM »
 ;D  Aurel not just a man but an adventure!

Aurel

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 11:57:15 AM »
Both of you ,may think what you wish
BUT basicpro forum is very nice place before Mike came .
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 01:02:44 PM by Aurel »

jj2007

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 02:08:18 PM »
Here is copy of my reply to Aurel at Basicpro in case something happens to it there.

Disappearing threads seem to be a frequent phenomenon in the BASIC community  :)

B+

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 05:41:11 PM »
I'm amazed anyone would actually join a forum Aurel is the admin of. Sounds like everyone shot themselves in the foot on that one.

So why would Mike join? Given his attitude as revealed in most recent post.

To doggedly track down credit for his work on TOY?

Mike Lobanovsky

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 05:51:59 PM »
JJ,

This is nothing new and this thread has never been hidden on, or deleted from, the FBSL forum. It just depicts some tough times in the 15 years of FBSL history it is an indispensable part of. It shows that I have always asked for a permission to use someone else's code like I did recently on the basicpro scrapyard too, addressing PeterMaria publicly for a similar permission (you sent me a PM in this regard, if you remember). Of course Aurel has wiped out that thread too but I still have my copy of Peter's public response: Permission granted. :)

The thief has just got his balls pinched in between the doors and is running around yelling for help. Surprisingly, his is still an FBSL forum member just like Mr Ian Casey who's also my regular email pen-friend in matters concerning BCX programming and whom Aurel is trying to misquote on his scrapyard forum. In the long run, Mr Ian Casey appeared to have gotten nothing to do at all with the BCX code in question. :)

FBSL Mini Form Designer was based off of Mike Henning's Public Domain code that didn't even need any attribution but is still getting its due in the FMFD sources that are open to public together with the precompiled binary. Here's the header of the project file:

Code: [Select]
'***************************************************************
' FBSL Mini Form Designer Project
' FBSL Port w/ Amendments (c) 2007 by Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky
' Bcx Mini Form Designer
' Version 1.03 by Mike Henning 2006
' ----------------------------------------------
' Feel free to expand on or utilize any portion
' of the source code.
' ----------------------------------------------
' Adapted from DL's BIDE

#APPTYPE MDI
#OPTION STRICT

#INCLUDE <Include\Windows.inc>
#INCLUDE ".\CtlStyles.inc"

The other freeware include also comes with its blurb intact as below:

Code: [Select]
#IFNDEF __CTLSTYLES_INCLUDED__
#DEFINE __CTLSTYLES_INCLUDED__

' This file is part of FBSL Mini Form Designer Project
' FBSL Port (c) 2007 by Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky
' WINDOW STYLE PROCESSOR
' Based on the Original C Code
' DisplayStyleInfo.c
' Copyright (c) 2002 by J Brown
' ------------
' Freeware
' ------------
' v1.6.1 - fixed small bug thanks to Holger Stenger

TYPE RetStyle
style AS INTEGER ' Single window style
name AS STRING * 128 ' Textual name of style
IsSet AS INTEGER
ExtMsg AS INTEGER
END TYPE

The precompiled binary provides the following about box:

FBSL has enjoyed more than 4,000 downloads since then, and nearly 750 of them in its recent RC2 implementation alone. Each one includes FMFD as a binary and sources. Feel free to check out any time. :)

As for the history of our relations with Mr John Spikowski, yes we did have some tough times in the past too, but we have also found courage and good will to settle down whatever issues we were having in a civilized manner. We aren't exactly buddies but we do have common interests and domains to explore, and we're doing our best to stay tolerant and thoughtful of each other when in public. Here's my hand, John! :)

B+

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 06:01:42 PM »
Well yes, I am pretty sure I know why JJ joined.

Mike Lobanovsky

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 06:07:25 PM »

So why would Mike join? Given his attitude as revealed in most recent post.

To doggedly track down credit for his work on TOY?

No, not the credit part of it. Aurel is hiding Ed's O2 sources behind his walls, and they can't be seen or DL'ed from the outside. Now we also know that he had a pretty solid, albeit dirty, reason for that.

I wanted to have my eyeful share of Ed's mods too. I felt entitled to this by all the hard work I did porting his original sources to O2 which is by far not the easiest BASIC dialect around. I was also curious what such an "expert-of-all-trades" like Aurel could possibly have added to O2 code of such complexity level. And I found: n-o-t-h-i-n-g. Q.E.D.

B+

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 07:10:48 PM »
Ah Curiosity, the Pandora of trouble making.  :)

Aurel

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 09:19:45 PM »
I felt entitled to this by all the hard work I did porting his original sources to O2
hard work ....hard work .. :o
such a garbage ,you don't do anything  and you wait that Charles fix problems with UDT variables
and that is all  ::)

ScriptBasic

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 09:32:47 PM »
I should be thankful Aurel could never figure out how to get Script BASIC installed and running. Aurel is lucky Charles Pegge finds him entertaining.

jj2007

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2016, 09:46:45 PM »
Well yes, I am pretty sure I know why JJ joined.

Just for the fun, really 8)