Author Topic: Nim  (Read 3715 times)

Tomaaz

Nim
« on: September 27, 2016, 10:05:47 PM »
Nim has been recommended to me by John (ScriptBasic) while we were discussing Pike and I finally decided to try it.  I build it from source (in Ubuntu's repository there is still an older version) and the whole process was quick and easy. It seems to be fast and well documented. Has anyone tried Nim?

B+

Re: Nim
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 03:24:28 AM »
I have tried Nim, too clever for me.

Text based copy in SmallBASIC Code library:
http://smallbasic.sourceforge.net/?q=node/1613

ScriptBasic

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 03:37:14 AM »
Nim has been recommended to me by John (ScriptBasic) while we were discussing Pike and I finally decided to try it.  I build it from source (in Ubuntu's repository there is still an older version) and the whole process was quick and easy. It seems to be fast and well documented. Has anyone tried Nim?

There are a bunch of posts on the All BASIC forum about Nim lead by AIR in most cases. I wish he would chime in and say hi.

Tomaaz

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 10:27:55 AM »
I have tried Nim, too clever for me.

Text based copy in SmallBASIC Code library:
http://smallbasic.sourceforge.net/?q=node/1613

I was referring to the programming language called Nim, not the game.  ;)

Unfortunately, like with many new/unpopular languages, problems appear when you want to go beyond the core library and use something external. It may be just a matter of time and soon using external library with Nim will be more straightforward, but at the moment it's to problematic (at least for me and on the Linux distro I use).

ScriptBasic

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 02:18:18 AM »
Nim is a translator to C and not a language in itself.

Tomaaz

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 08:08:07 AM »

Of course, it is a language in itself. I'm really surprised that someone with your experience and knowledge doesn't know the difference between a language (specification, syntax, philosophy behind it) and this language implementation (compiler/interpreter/translator).

ZXDunny

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 08:53:26 AM »
Heh, I'm surprised you lot took as long as you did to figure that one out. C is not a language! It's just a translator to asm!

Tomaaz

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 08:56:27 AM »
Heh, I'm surprised you lot took as long as you did to figure that one out. C is not a language! It's just a translator to asm!

;D

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2016, 02:21:13 PM »
And ASM is a translator to binary code? 01000111100011100111  ;)

ScriptBasic

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2016, 05:34:16 PM »

Of course, it is a language in itself. I'm really surprised that someone with your experience and knowledge doesn't know the difference between a language (specification, syntax, philosophy behind it) and this language implementation (compiler/interpreter/translator).

I'm surprised you missed my point.

Nim is a translator to C, JavaScript, ... with helper libraries to get that done.

I'm not surprised what you are willing to call a language. The landscape is littered with half baked BASIC attempts.

Tomaaz

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2016, 06:43:32 PM »
I'm surprised you missed my point.

Nim is a translator to C, JavaScript, ... with helper libraries to get that done.

No, Nim is a language. nim.exe and nim are translators. BaCon is a language. bacon.bash and bacon (compiled bacon.bac) are BASIC to C translators. Tcl is a language, tclsh is a Tcl language interpreter. Python is a language. python is a Python language interpreter and pypy is a Python language JIT compiler.

ScriptBasic

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2016, 08:55:57 PM »
@Tomaaz - Do you consider markdown a language?

Quote from: Paul
C is not a language! It's just a translator to asm!

I don't believe C translates to ASM before generating native machine code.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 09:53:40 PM by John »

Tomaaz

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2016, 10:04:19 PM »

Yes. Of course, it's not a programming language.

Doesn't matter. It's still not a language in itself. It's a translator to machine code. ;)

ZXDunny

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2016, 10:58:55 PM »

Quote from: Paul
C is not a language! It's just a translator to asm!

That's implementation dependent. Many C compilers use "as" as a back-end assembler for their final build phase before linking.