Author Topic: Season's Greets from FBSL!  (Read 6145 times)

jj2007

Re: Season's Greets from FBSL!
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2016, 11:18:15 AM »
Here it is:
Code: [Select]
Vendor:     Intel
Renderer:   Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
Version:    3.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2418
GLSL:       1.40  - Intel Build 8.15.10.2418
----------------------------------------
GL Extensions List:
===================
GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_texture3D GL_EXT_cli
p_volume_hint GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_EXT
_draw_range_elements GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_texture_e
dge_clamp GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_ARB_multitexture GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_bgra
GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_ARB_tex
ture_cube_map GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_EXT_m
ulti_draw_arrays GL_NV_blend_square GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1 GL_E
XT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_texture_env
_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_ARB_
shadow GL_ARB_window_pos GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_EXT_textur
e_rectangle GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_ATI_separate_stencil GL_ARB_vertex_bu
ffer_object GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_shader_obje
cts GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_NV_texgen_re
flection GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_ARB_de
pth_texture GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ARB_color_buffer_float GL_ARB_half_float
_pixel GL_ARB_texture_float GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_ARB_draw_instanc
ed GL_ARB_half_float_vertex GL_EXT_draw_buffers2 GL_WIN_swap_hint GL_EXT_texture_sRGB GL_ARB_multisa
mple GL_EXT_packed_float GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent GL_ARB_texture_rg GL_ARB_texture_compression
_rgtc GL_NV_conditional_render GL_EXT_texture_swizzle GL_ARB_sync GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB GL_EXT_pac
ked_depth_stencil GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float GL_EXT_transform_feedback GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit GL_EXT
_framebuffer_multisample GL_ARB_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_texture_array GL_EXT_texture_integer GL_AR
B_map_buffer_range GL_EXT_texture_snorm GL_INTEL_performance_queries GL_ARB_copy_buffer GL_ARB_sampl
er_objects GL_NV_primitive_restart GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map GL_ARB_uniform_buffer_object GL_ARB_dept
h_clamp GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex GL_ARB_fragment_coord_conventions
GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters GL_ARB_compatibility GL_ARB_vertex_array_object
WGL Extensions List: (via EXT)
==============================
WGL_EXT_depth_float WGL_ARB_buffer_region WGL_ARB_extensions_string WGL_ARB_make_current_read WGL_AR
B_pixel_format WGL_ARB_pbuffer WGL_EXT_extensions_string WGL_EXT_swap_control WGL_ARB_multisample WG
L_ARB_pixel_format_float WGL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB WGL_ARB_create_context WGL_EXT_pixel_format_packed
_float

What I don't fully understand in my config is that two drivers seem active, Intel and Nvidia.

Mike Lobanovsky

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2016, 11:29:33 AM »
You nVidia isn't enabled in your current config at all, Jochen. Your OpenGL is fully controlled by Intel's on-board video that's hidden within the CPU case and resides on the same silicon chip as your CPU. :(

You can try and fiddle with your system Device Manager settings. If you're seeing both Intel HD Graphics and NVIDIA GeForce ... video adapters there, try and disable Intel is this configuration. Probably this will wake your nVidia GPU to life.

Mike Lobanovsky

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2016, 11:34:53 AM »
Alternatively, if your laptop has an integral VGA video out port and also a video out port on your discrete nVidia add-on, then an external monitor should be connected to the nVidia out port. Then you'll have a dual monitor configuration where the laptop monitor will be driven by Intel, and the extra monitor, by nVidia.

jj2007

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2016, 12:04:22 PM »
If you're seeing both Intel HD Graphics and NVIDIA GeForce ... video adapters there, try and disable Intel is this configuration. Probably this will wake your nVidia GPU to life.

I tried that, but the result was, ehm, not satisfactory. A dark screen. I had to hold the power button for five seconds and do a minimal drivers reboot 8)

Mike Lobanovsky

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2016, 12:34:54 PM »
Sad to hear that Jochen,

Probably the only way out would be to use an extra monitor connected directly to nVidia's VGA out if it's available. All my PC motherboards (I now have 2 nVidia GeForce/Windows and one ATi Radeon/Linux PCs) have on-board Intel HD Graphics too but my multiple monitors are connected to nVidia/ATi outputs rather than to the native VGA out by Intel. However I can connect a monitor there too and have them all working together with just one exception that, when a program runs nVidia's advanced OpenGL and its window is dragged to the Intel-owned monitor, the OpenGL canvas remains frozen until the window is dragged back over to the nVidia/ATi side(s) again. :)

Anyway, if you aren't planning any more activities to get your nVidia up and running, then I guess I'd rather leave the app as it is. I'm now a bit sorry for having posted it at all...  :-[

jj2007

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2016, 12:41:55 PM »
if you aren't planning any more activities to get your nVidia up and running

I had never looked into that, now I'm a bit curious: Why the hell is Intel controlling my Nvidia card? Doesn't make sense at all. The usual Windows mess 8)

What really surprises me is that so few people complain about Windows. It just sucks to click on "look for help online", knowing with certainty that it just means wasting time because that "help" never ever returns something useful :-\

P.S.: Google is my friend :)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 12:47:11 PM by jj2007 »

Mike Lobanovsky

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2016, 01:22:24 PM »
WOW!!! :o

You got it working?!

jj2007

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2016, 01:37:37 PM »
Yep! https://support.lenovo.com/it/en/documents/ht078706
(mine is an Acer, but it works)

Mike Lobanovsky

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2016, 01:44:32 PM »
Congrats, Jochen!!! :D

You wouldn't believe it but actually I logged in to suggest checking your Control Center settings when I spotted that snapshot of yours (not seen when not logged in).

Anyway, now you can explore 3D to the full!  8)

(And, er, should I talk to you in Russian instead? ;)  Oh no, that's Lenovo that automatically redirects me from /it/en/ to /by/ru/... :D )
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 01:51:49 PM by Mike Lobanovsky »

jj2007

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2016, 02:10:46 PM »
Now of course I expected dramatically increased graphics performance. I checked with my Mandelbrot implementation, but it makes absolutely no difference - about 100 ms fullscreen :(

Mike Lobanovsky

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2016, 02:51:32 PM »
Regular GDI/GDI+ graphics is HW accelerated, whenever possible, through MS/Intel/AMD co-operation in developing the Windows OS' stock drivers. Neither nVidia nor ATi have any relation to this process.

2D and 3D acceleration is a specialized field that requires dedicated GPU design, and this is where the both brands step in leaving Intel and Co.'s general-purpose products far behind. Both of them predominantly use OpenGL as their development platform and target, and they condescend to MS' DirectX competition to OpenGL only insofar as MS is what it is and because it also has its own, though minor, game console platform in the form of xBox. Surprisingly, gaming has always been one of the major factors in the IT industry's speedy progress towards smaller geometries and faster HW.

To enjoy the benefits of HW acceleration, you should accept the rules of the game: use dedicated graphics libraries/engines/environments (OpenGL/WebGL or DirectX) and languages (GLSL or HLSL) to develop your graphics routines and entire applications, rather than rely on occasional MoveTo()/LineTo() and turtle (literally and otherwise) graphics tactics.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 03:04:53 PM by Mike Lobanovsky »