Author Topic: WhatA Fu** they...  (Read 2975 times)

Aurel

WhatA Fu** they...
« on: August 03, 2017, 09:54:24 PM »
anyone else receive such a email...
C++ builder for freee yeah ...
poor people... ;D

Hi Baser,

I have a special email this week, sponsored by Embarcadero Technologies, the guys who make some great and fast development tools, including C++ Builder.  C++ Builder provides a powerful object-oriented framework for native visual Windows development, and its unique FireMonkey framework provides native cross-platform and UI, database, REST and more with deployment on iOS, macOS, Android and Windows.

In particular, they have an offer that I think a lot of you might enjoy.  For a limited time, you can get C++ Builder Starter Edition totally free, as long as you’re creating applications for non-commercial use, generating revenues of less than $1000 USD per year. This is a great opportunity to get access to a powerful C++ IDE for Windows at an unbeatable price. (You can’t beat free!)

And if you have bigger aspirations, or once your app turns out to be the hot new thing, you can upgrade to the professional version of C++ Builder. The professional version also has a 30 day free trial — no credit card required — so you can give it a shot at no risk.

Click here to download C++ Builder Starter Edition today!

Or, if you’re looking for the same powerful IDE but with the ability to easily integrate with cloud services or do cross-platform development for the Internet of Things, take a look at Embarcadero’s RAD Studio. RAD Studio™, which includes C++Builder, is the fastest way to write, compile, package and develop cross-platform native applications with flexible cloud services and broad IoT connectivity from a single codebase — click here to get started with a 30 day free trial.

B+

Re: WhatA Fu** they...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 11:20:57 PM »
Hi Aurel,

No I have not received such an email. ;(

Why the FU** ? Is C++ normally free anyway?

Or do you know this is spam or worse?

ZXDunny

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 01:28:58 PM »
No, it's not a scam. Embarcadero have made the starter edition for free for many years now. It's very much cut-down; you won't get any support for third party components or classes - just the ones that come with the IDE.

I have the full £6000 package for work, and it really is very nice. You're not paying for the compiler, you're paying for the IDE and the custom form designer, components and classes for various tasks etc. But if you're on a budget, then the free edition is fine, or you could go with Visual Studio which is also excellent. XCode on the Mac is quite nice too.

ScriptBasic

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 04:56:56 AM »
Doesn't anyone like gcc?

« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 04:59:03 AM by John »

jcfuller

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 10:02:07 AM »
If I'm not mistaken the free version is 32bit only.
Visual Studio Community 2017 is both 32/64.

James

ZXDunny

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 02:20:49 PM »
Sure John, GCC is fine but nobody really uses it with an IDE these days (unless you're staunchly an OSS proponent) simply because they come with their own compiler built-in.

jj2007

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 12:46:57 AM »
GCC is fine but nobody really uses it with an IDE these days

Found something that supports your statement:
more and more compilers are adopting gcc command line options, pragmas, extensions, abi compatibility, and even bugs

That's the trend: GCC for command line compiling, or from an editor (I compile from RichMasm, of course). That is much better than, for example, using VS Community, which is just horribly bloated and incredibly slow.

Recently I managed to use the GCC QuadMath library from MasmBasic. That was tough, because it's barely documented, and under the hood GCC does really strange things. I spent several days debugging the C code until I had a clue how parameters are passed. C compilers can produce really ugly code 8)

P.S.: FreeBasic may soon have QuadMath, too.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 12:56:16 AM by jj2007 »

ScriptBasic

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 04:42:56 AM »
Sure John, GCC is fine but nobody really uses it with an IDE these days (unless you're staunchly an OSS proponent) simply because they come with their own compiler built-in.

I only use the console, gcc and the C BASIC preprocessor to compile Script BASIC and its extensions on an OS platform. (Windows, Linux, Android, ...)

ZXDunny

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 09:51:59 AM »
To be honest, I've been spoiled - I am too used to Delphi's IDE (which is pretty good, but not stellar) and its debugging (which is absolutely incredible). XCode offers similar debugging, but not quite as user-friendly as Delphi/C++ Builder.

As IDEs go, a great many offer some good tools but I find I'm just as happy writing code in a syntax-highlighting editor. But when it comes to debugging at runtime, you can't beat a good IDE in my opinion. At work, with 2.5 million LOC spread across about 80 or so libraries, debugging would be an absolute nightmare if all I had to rely on was GDB.

ScriptBasic

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 08:29:26 PM »
Dave's VB6 based Script BASIC IDE/Debugger for Windows is pretty sweet. My goal is to convert it to IUP so it's cross platform.

Mopz

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 01:00:52 PM »
Dave's VB6 based Script BASIC IDE/Debugger for Windows is pretty sweet. My goal is to convert it to IUP so it's cross platform.

Is there any direct support for syntax highlighting in IUP these days? Got kind of messy when we wrote the IDE for naalaa (in naalaa using IUP), had to mess with the underlying windows control for some reason (to prevent the changes from being recorded to the undo-chain, I think).
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 01:06:37 PM by Marcus »

Mopz

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 01:21:57 PM »
Never mind, noticed IUPScintilla ;)