Author Topic: Phix at All BASIC  (Read 2282 times)

B+

Phix at All BASIC
« on: August 30, 2018, 04:35:51 PM »
Hi All @ All,

Discussion in One Statement Sin Table, got me curious about checking out Phix (honestly wanting to verify it really is one statement). Claims of simplicity further intriguing and I read very simple structure?

I look into Tutorial and all it is, is a paragraph and u tube link to download the thing. That's all??? Must be one of those starter things with great plans to finish - tomorrow...

Tomaaz, does Phix really have a special built in sq_sin function that prints out a table? I strongly suspect a library or other supplement somewhere because who would clutter the language with such specific functions and then claim simplicity?

OH! More luck with documents! here it is in docs: (see attached) OK, Phix clutters language with table making stuff! Ha!

OK Tomaaz I believe it now. :D Apparently sq = sequences are part of Core of Phix (see attachment).

BTW kudos to John at All BASIC for starting BASIC wiki and I hope some developer has the nads to post something because I am pretty sure you guys (and gals?) don't want me talking about your babies!

BTW I gave John the idea of a Consumers Report like table to be filled out for each Basic or Basic like flavor (whatever that means anymore!) going through a list of items that the flavor has or has in some degree or has not.

If I were posting at All BASIC, I would post this suggestion for members to suggest items they want to know about any flavor competing for their attention and / or patronage. My priorities would be active developer or group (Tomaaz, "It's Alive!"), documentation, tutorials, submissions to Rosetta, forums and participation measures, bug removal ratings from users (Bplus, Good God! It IS Alive!),... just off the top of my head. All items supported with links which would serve as very handy for linking to all these resources!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 04:43:40 PM by B+ »

ScriptBasic

Re: Phix at All BASIC
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 04:52:09 PM »
Thanks B+ for the suggestions and encouragement to get the BASIC wiki going. I would open up the wiki to self enrollment but in the past spammers have had a field day posting crap to the wiki which I spent a lot of time undoing. Sorry for the extra step of sending me an e-mail to enroll but in the long run we will have quality editors contributing.

I'm still looking for someone to take the lead with the wiki. Tomaaz?

B+

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 05:40:31 PM »
BASIC (or Basic like*) Consumer's Report cont.

Another Item: Open Source

Another Item: Price(s)

Another Item: Build it or complied.

Another Item: Libraries

* note: I would take on developer's word that their work is Basic like.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 05:43:01 PM by B+ »

Tomaaz

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 05:53:15 PM »
I'm still looking for someone to take the lead with the wiki. Tomaaz?

Sorry, but I'm not that much into BASIC anymore and don't really know what's going on. On my list it would be probably max. 5 compilers/interpreters/translators. For this number there is no point to create wiki.

B+, sequences are main data type in Phix (and Euphoria). They are very flexible and there is plenty of function for their manipulation (especially in OpenEuphori).

B+

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 06:26:14 PM »
Yes, sequences are interesting!

I confess, I gave Phix a second look because of the screen shots of gears and Boids, coincidently, a couple of projects I have fooled around with recently.

So it does do graphics, I say to myself. That is important item for my Basic's Consumer's Report.

Tomaaz

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 06:29:19 PM »
For example - strings in OpenEuphoria/Phix are just sequences of integers and you can do with them all you can with sequences. Of course you can have sequences of strings (or strings and numbers or sequences) - there will be simply sequences of sequences and atoms (atoms can hold single numbers).

B+

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 06:35:29 PM »
So Tomaaz, you learned OpenEuphoria first? is that best before Phix? or can one startup with Phix? Can I assume Phix is a branch from OpenEuphoria? What is relation of the two?

ScriptBasic

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 07:11:18 PM »
@B+,

If you don't have the time to contribute to the All BASIC wiki,  you could add your comments to Discussion pages for a BASIC language wiki page.

Tomaaz

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 09:03:11 PM »
So Tomaaz, you learned OpenEuphoria first? is that best before Phix? or can one startup with Phix? Can I assume Phix is a branch from OpenEuphoria? What is relation of the two?

I tried Phix first. Euphoria used to be a proprietary language and Phix was created as its open alternative. Then the author of Euphoria decided to make it open source and OpenEuphoria was born. They are quite similar, burt OpenEuphoria is more complex. Unfortunetely, it is not in development any more. Phix is still being developped, but it's a one man project and the development is quite slow. It works much better on Windows. Several issues with Linux version have been reported.

Aurel

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 10:30:43 PM »
Original Euphotia was very fast language ..then OpenEuphoria is based on original
then one guy create clon of OpenEuphoria and Phix is born

B+

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2018, 11:47:19 PM »
Oh Phix is clone. What happened to OpenEuphoria? couldn't get organized? found something better?

Aurel

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2018, 05:29:30 AM »
I don't know , loook into open euphoria forum
https://openeuphoria.org/forum/index.wc

Tomaaz

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2018, 07:55:02 AM »
As I understand, Phix is older than OpenEuphoria and was influenced by the original Euphoria. OpenEuphoria is a bigger and more complex language. It can translste to C, has superior standard library. What happened? Development has stopped. Last stable version is 5 years old, last beta 3 years old.