Author Topic: PySimpleGUI  (Read 10372 times)

ScriptBasic

PySimpleGUI
« on: August 30, 2018, 05:38:38 PM »
This should send Aurel over the edge and put a smile on Tomaaz's mug..  :) 

PySimleGUI

Aurel

Re: PySimpleGUI
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 10:18:27 PM »
He he
nice try....when i see small app icon in left corner
it becomes perfectly clear to me what is this ..
and is it another try to use tk library or tcl/tk layer to create GUI apps on windows with
python...
still there is no real call from python to native windows GUI api functions
why? .. i really don't know
I think that only perl (have a wrapper)can call winapi functions..ruby ..no.

It is really strange why is that so problematic for python (3) developers OR they don't like Windows
after all this years.
In fact it is really shame  that people who work on python in windows must use 3party gui libs .
In python are written many great science programs and poor people must fight with it all the time.
That really sucks!
Imagine...python where you may use windows GDI - hDC directly like we can in many BASICS..

GEEE ...it looks that i like python  :o
well not very much but i appreciate all hard work programers put into scientific programs for sure.
 :)

Tomaaz

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 01:36:27 PM »
And why would anyone using/creating scientific software care about the technology behind the GUI?

AlyssonR

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 08:46:57 AM »
Because they want to have an interface of sorts, presumably.

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 09:08:53 AM »
Of course you can access the WinAPI from Python: pywin32
BTW, Mike the creator of PySimpleGUI has just registered, maybe he can say a few words ...  ;)

Tomaaz

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 09:57:35 AM »
Because they want to have an interface of sorts, presumably.

And is it that important for scientific software to have GUI written using WinApi and not Tk, IUP or Swing? I would think it's the least important thing. Speed, stability, accuracy, being bug-free... Aurel is just projecting his obsessions on others. The whole GUI/WinApi thing has been his fetish for years. For him, as long as WinApi is used, a program that has one button and can draw a circle when the button is pressed is more advanced than a complex command line tool,

Aurel

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 11:25:42 AM »
As usual Tomek like to talk about things he cannot swallow or he is not capable to undrstand .
Windows message loop and qeue is like a nightmare for him.
That is the fact.
He don't understnd hardware conception... ::)
Hw don't know how windows can operate in rwo mods 32/64 and he is not  the only one.
I don't know who is this Mike guy   :o
And what he made but the fact is python is not developed for windows.
...and as such is limited in many windows only things
For example in py2-or py3 i don't see layerr to winapi---is that enough.
all other specualtionss are just crap.

Tomaaz

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 01:04:21 PM »
Yes Aurel, scientists who use computers for work definitely care about "Windows message loop and qeue...", understand "hardware conception" and know "how windows can operate in rwo mods 32/64". They are also very disappointed that Aurel Basic is not in development anymore, because they really hoped that one day it could replace this crappy Python, its crappy GUI libraries and software written in it.  Sure...

I don't know who is this Mike guy   :o

That must be really devastating for him. The legendary Gui/WinApi programmer and hardware genius Aurel doesn't know him. I hope he's not thinking about harming himself!  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 01:06:28 PM by Tomaaz »

Aurel

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 03:49:25 PM »
Yes Aurel, scientists who use computers for work definitely care about "Windows message loop and qeue..."
First of all
scientists who use computers for work - i really doubt that they use python  ;D ;D ;D
second - you are not scientists  :o
3. - I don't talk about scientists than about YOU!  ::)
--so don't be horny and put the pipe down  ;D

..and put the things back on topic
PySimpleGUI is just another try to ...
ahh to boring...................

AND who care about python...cra*
maybe we should talk about... let say - JavaScript ?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 03:59:48 PM by Aurel »

PySimpleGUI

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 04:04:31 PM »
I'm curious what about the OpenSource article caught John's eye enough that he posted about it here.

I registered because you guys are some of the first Python programmers that have posted on their own, without my prodding.

Truth is that I do not have some deep background in GUIs.  I needed to create several Python programs with a GUI front end.  When I looked at Python's GUIs, I found them to be way too 'wordy' for my liking.  I determined I could write and use a GUI framework in less lines of code than if I wrote tkinter code for my programs.  And that's what I ended up doing.

The more I used it, the more I realized others could benefit, so out to the world it went.  I don't seek fame, that's for sure, and would just as soon remain anonymous.  I believe in this architecture's ability to bring GUIs to a large number of Python programs should they want it. 

There have been a good number of features added over the past month that were suggested by users and people reviewing the package.  Dictionary return values is one of the big ones.  As a result, I'm interested in hearing from others.  It only makes for a better package in the long run, assuming I can duck the rocks hurled my way on occasion.

PySimpleGUI

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 04:15:47 PM »
I can't help but notice the talk about scientific applications.

The science-types may be interested in the Matplotlib Browser Demo.

This app demonstrates integrating PySimpleGUI with Matplotlib.  It also shows off some of the interesting features of PSG, in this case immediate action when a listbox item is clicked.

Tomaaz

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2018, 05:32:52 PM »
I will be trying your GUI soon. And please, ignore Aurel. He's a hard core Python/Linux hater. From his statement about Python usage in science you can clearly see that he doesn't have a clue. I hope you will stay here and will be posting updates about your project. This place is not about games only anymore.

ScriptBasic

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2018, 05:49:57 PM »
Actually the post here was initiated from a Twitter post and I thought it might be a club for Tomaaz to beat up Aurel with.

Welcome!

You may be interested in what I have going using VB6 OCX GUI forms as an object based UI framework.

https://AllBASIC.info/forum

PySimpleGUI

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2018, 05:59:17 PM »
Thank you for the warm welcome! 

I know this package isn't for everyone and it's not meant to try to solve every GUI problem. 

I'm trying to stay focused on solving problems that users throw my way so that the features stay ahead of typical use cases. This is done through the many "Demo" applications and Cookbook entries.  Making a script launcher, for example, caused a few extra features to be created.  The Matplotlib Browser program drove the creation of immediate response to Listbox entry selection.

Besides, it's fun to try and meet the challenges.  Sometimes it takes only 4 or 5 lines of code.

The package has already extended well beyond the initial target. 

Marketing....

Can I ask for help in marketing PySimpleGUI?  I'm learning that in order to get feedback that I can use I first need users.  That means getting the word out the this package even exists.  I'm getting close to having my Wikipedia page done which should help.

The help I need is in getting another 8 votes on one of the most popular curated list of Python resources available.  If I can get 20 votes, I get listed.  I'm up to 12 so far.

You'll find the instruction on how to vote here:
https://github.com/MikeTheWatchGuy/PySimpleGUI/issues/80

It's really easy assuming you have a GitHub account.

I'll be looking at your object based UI framework for sure! 

Aurel

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2018, 10:03:58 PM »
And please, ignore Aurel. He's a hard core Python/Linux hater.
- No i am not and you can ignore me ,that is not a problem at all..  :D

From his statement about Python usage in science you can clearly see that he doesn't have a clue.

-..and you have a clue, of course you really believe that if you use
someone else code and change few variables makes you a programmer.   ;D

It would be great that we have here real python programmer
and not just copy/paste lurker like is Tomaaz.

So back to topic
Welcome to forum !