Author Topic: PySimpleGUI  (Read 10379 times)

Tomaaz

Re: PySimpleGUI
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2018, 10:54:42 PM »
I think we are approaching the moment when Aurel plays "the vodka card"...

ScriptBasic

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2018, 11:03:54 PM »
With you it's vodka with me it's the pipe.

Tomaaz

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2018, 12:15:17 AM »
Before that, he will try to side with one of us, against the other. Sometimes it's me, sometimes it's you. And then, finally, he'll play the vodka and pipe cards. Some things never change.  ;)

PySimpleGUI

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2018, 12:25:57 AM »
One use for PySimpleGUI that you guys may like is in controlling command line programs.  I'm lazy.

I have been using a utility named youtube-dl to download subtitles from YouTube videos. It's a command line utility that looks something like this:

youtube-dl.exe --sub-lang en --write-sub https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KkKuTCFvzI

There's an option to list the available languages.  Since I've been using it a lot, I made this front end. 

https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/13696193/44962378-3b4a3000-aeed-11e8-8edd-c2e01007c312.jpg

Paste the link into the top of the window and can then list the available languages & download languages.   

Able to do multiple operations by leaving the window open and interacting with it much like a windows program. 

If more options desired, they can easily be added them in the user interface.

ZXDunny

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2018, 10:09:03 AM »
With you it's vodka with me it's the pipe.

I have trouble picturing John with a hash pipe.

ScriptBasic

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2018, 03:56:54 PM »
The pipe story came about when I told Aurel to "put down the pipe" in a post and it's now his retribution response towards me going forward.

ZXDunny

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2018, 05:48:27 PM »
The pipe story came about when I told Aurel to "put down the pipe" in a post and it's now his retribution response towards me going forward.

I had no idea you smoked weed. Still, it's gaining a better reputation these days and appears to be healthier than alcohol, all things considered. Bravo to you for being so forward thinking!

Mike Lobanovsky

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2018, 06:26:31 PM »

Tomaaz

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2018, 06:55:42 PM »
Guys, you like to call me and Aurel trolls and spammers, but the way you killed this topic is a top class.  ;D

ZXDunny

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2018, 07:00:56 PM »
Guys, you like to call me and Aurel trolls and spammers, but the way you killed this topic is a top class.  ;D

The whole topic was started as an attempt to troll, so no harm done.

Tomaaz

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2018, 07:09:08 PM »
The whole topic was started as an attempt to troll, so no harm done.

Have you missed the fact that the author of this GUI has joined the discussion. I'm sure he would like his job to be taken seriously. You really shouldn't have continued this nonsense after his last post.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 07:10:58 PM by Tomaaz »

ZXDunny

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2018, 09:35:29 PM »
I don't think that really makes any difference? If we were all worried about certain people joining a discussion (especially as this thread was not meant to be a discussion of PySimpleGUI, but was more a nasty dig) then we'd likely not start any more of them.

Actually, that would be preferable. As you were :)

ScriptBasic

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2018, 12:52:01 AM »
It's the admin's chore to clean up threads that go off topic.

B+

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2018, 02:19:24 PM »
I am thinking there are enough Py forums already and wondering if PySimpleGUI is really BestOf... with another one of his name changes.  ;)

No, then it would be "easyaspygui"
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 02:34:15 PM by B+ »

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2018, 03:48:59 PM »
One use for PySimpleGUI that you guys may like is in controlling command line programs.  I'm lazy.

I have been using a utility named youtube-dl to download subtitles from YouTube videos. It's a command line utility that looks something like this:

youtube-dl.exe --sub-lang en --write-sub https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KkKuTCFvzI

There's an option to list the available languages.  Since I've been using it a lot, I made this front end. 

https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/13696193/44962378-3b4a3000-aeed-11e8-8edd-c2e01007c312.jpg

Paste the link into the top of the window and can then list the available languages & download languages.   

Able to do multiple operations by leaving the window open and interacting with it much like a windows program. 

If more options desired, they can easily be added them in the user interface.
Funny thing is, I am using youtube-dl on my RPi and using a GUI for entering the URL of the video. But I am not using Python but a bash script with Zenity.  ;)